Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
You keep spreading that propaganda video.

http://painfultruths.typepad.com/my_...-his-lies.html
"Lie #8. In Libya, if a Libyan buys a car, the government subsidizes 50 per cent of the price.

Complete nonsense. In fact, you’d be lucky to find a car to buy. Gaddafi seized all car dealerships in the late 1970s and, from then onwards, only the state very occasionally imported motor cars and sold them to the public at exorbitant prices. And that’s not all. To get to buy a car at all, you also had to pay a large bribe to one of the officials in charge of selling the state-imported vehicles..."

I spent 35 years in motor industry management, a number of them setting up car dealerships in Azerbaijan, Georgia, Syria, Oman and Libya.
In Libya I was engaged as a consultant to one of the largest Mercedes Dealerships that I have ever seen. It was designed by Italians, who in a joint venture, carried out the construction of the facilities. When I arrived it was ready to open, hundreds of Chryslers and Mercedes had been imported. One fairly large order alone was for 500 Mercedes C180K model for school teachers in Libya. These were sold at a 50% discount with the Libyan state subsidising the cost of the vehicles to the teachers. Precisely the same arrangement existed in Syria with hundreds and hundreds of BMW models imported and sold to members of the Syrian armed forces and government employees, at a discount of 50% from cost price.

So I'm afraid your assertions are incorrect. The article looks to have been written by one of the many Gaddafi dissidents who moved away from Libya to live in Europe. We see precisely the same nonsense pumped out now by the Syrian Observatory For Human Rights which is frequently quoted on Sky News and the BBC. The SOFHR is run by one man from a house in Coventry. In the daytime he runs a clothes shop selling T-shirts in Coventry town centre. Western media love hearing from these lunatics and they have developed a reasonable income from supplying horror stories that the right-wing media can feature in their ongoing relentless campaign against Assad in Syria. Assad's forces are far better equipped than Gaddafi's ever were and Assad has the benefit of having a Russian naval base in the port at Tartous.

I''m afraid the only propaganda is the one that your dissident is pumping out on Gaddafi's former regime.