+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using mobile phones while at the wheel of a vehicle

Using mobile phones while at the wheel of a vehicle

Every national newspaper along with radio stations, TV stations such as BBC and Sky News have covered this topic over the last 48 hours practically on a wall to wall basis, yet there are people who still believe that our news items are not organised and filtered through to us on msm.

Re: Using mobile phones while at the wheel of a vehicle

Yes, was listening to the BBC news coverage earlier on. No alternative view was presented by the brain shapers. Without knowing how many people have died or been injured by drivers of vehicles who were distracted by using mobile phones, I instinctively thought the true reasons behind the push is to raise extra revenue from this stealth tax and to reinforce the message that nanny knows best.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Yes, was listening to the BBC news coverage earlier on. No alternative view was presented by the brain shapers. Without knowing how many people have died or been injured by drivers of vehicles who were distracted by using mobile phones, I instinctively thought the true reasons behind the push is to raise extra revenue from this stealth tax and to reinforce the message that nanny knows best.
    I just checked the BBC site. It says 21 fatal accidents and 84 serious ones in 2014.

It mentioned that a policewoman was killed, no details or facts connected with when, how, where, or what were the circumstances of her 'death'.

This is how dumbed down audiences are these days, as no one tried to ascertain what was the relevance of this information in relation to the illegal use of mobile phones. In fact it is illegal to even hold a phone in your hand when your vehicle is stationary. As a seasoned cyclist I see cases of people doing it on an almost daily basis.

If the government were actually serious about it they would not be scaremongering the public and would actually do something about stamping the practice out.

Six points on the licence and a £1,000 fine is enough of a deterrent for anybody. But what I suspect is that this is going to be the way that ANPR use is widened to include prosecutions for illegal use of mobile phones while drivers are at the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Splott David View Post
    It mentioned that a policewoman was killed, no details or facts connected with when, how, where, or what were the circumstances of her 'death'.

This is how dumbed down audiences are these days, as no one tried to ascertain what was the relevance of this information in relation to the illegal use of mobile phones. In fact it is illegal to even hold a phone in your hand when your vehicle is stationary. As a seasoned cyclist I see cases of people doing it on an almost daily basis.

If the government were actually serious about it they would not be scaremongering the public and would actually do something about stamping the practice out.

Six points on the licence and a £1,000 fine is enough of a deterrent for anybody. But what I suspect is that this is going to be the way that ANPR use is widened to include prosecutions for illegal use of mobile phones while drivers are at the wheel.
    This x 100, it's all bollocks.

Are you saying phones are not a distraction ?

I've been guilty of it in the past and you do realise how close you come sometimes.

How do you get things done during the day being so paranoid.

They should come down harder on it.

Trying to overtake some numpty on there phone inbetween two lanes is a joy.

Quote Originally Posted by شهرستان کاردیف View Post
    Are you saying phones are not a distraction ?

I've been guilty of it in the past and you do realise how close you come sometimes.

How do you get things done during the day being so paranoid.

They should come down harder on it.

Trying to overtake some numpty on there phone inbetween two lanes is a joy.
    Yes, of course they are a distraction. So is fiddling with the radio/CD, lighting a fag, eating, drinking, talking and keeping an eye on pets, etc. Taking Lardy's numbers at face value, mobile phone use isn't a problem. Or rather, it's a price worth paying at just two deaths or serious injuries per week.

Yes, of course they are a distraction. So is fiddling with the radio/CD, lighting a fag, eating, drinking, talking and keeping an eye on pets, etc. Taking Lardy's numbers at face value, mobile phone use isn't a problem. Or rather, it's a price worth paying at just two deaths or serious injuries per week.
    What is a price worth paying?

Two deaths/serious injuries each week because of drivers being distracted when using mobile phones is insignificant. It's a miniscule problem, hyped out of all proportion. Let people use them without penalty. If they are deemed to have caused an accident by using one then prosecute them for driving without due care and attention.

Two deaths/serious injuries each week because of drivers being distracted when using mobile phones is insignificant. It's a miniscule problem, hyped out of all proportion. Let people use them without penalty. If they are deemed to have caused an accident by using one then prosecute them for driving without due care and attention.
    People can use them without penalty. It's called hands-free.

Do you also condone people using phones to text or play games when they're driving?

From what I understand, just having one in hand when driving or stationary behind the wheel with the engine running is an offence, and that people are hit with a fine and points for rubbing their head or nose with one. Sure, fatalities and life-changing injuries are regrettable, but I still believe the government are more interested in extracting money from people.

Here's a far greater killer of Britons perpetrated by their corporate chums. 'Cold homes caused 9,000 deaths last winter, study suggests' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35862763

From what I understand, just having one in hand when driving or stationary behind the wheel with the engine running is an offence, and that people are hit with a fine and points for rubbing their head or nose with one. Sure, fatalities and life-changing injuries are regrettable, but I still believe the government are more interested in extracting money from people.

Here's a far greater killer of Britons perpetrated by their corporate chums. 'Cold homes caused 9,000 deaths last winter, study suggests' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35862763
    Two things that drivers around Cardiff should be aware of, ANPR cameras will be increased all over the city and the 20 MPH areas such as the one in a part of Cathays will be made mandatory and policed 24/7 by cameras, in the same way that bus lanes are now.

"lardy's numbers"

You seemed disappointed that the BBC weren't giving the figures out so I was helping you.

Price worth paying is a very odd phrase to use. What are the benefits of using a mobile while driving?

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    "lardy's numbers"

You seemed disappointed that the BBC weren't giving the figures out so I was helping you.

Price worth paying is a very odd phrase to use. What are the benefits of using a mobile while driving?
    I'm not even sure why you'd need figures. We all know driving whilst using your phone is a distraction, I suspect most of us have at one time done it and had the odd fright that we've been lucky to get away with.

If people are worried about contributing to this"stealth tax" there is a simple way to avoid paying towards it.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    I'm not even sure why you'd need figures. We all know driving whilst using your phone is a distraction, I suspect most of us have at one time done it and had the odd fright that we've been lucky to get away with.

If people are worried about contributing to this"stealth tax" there is a simple way to avoid paying towards it.
    Organ's other examples are puzzling. I'm wondering if he's ever driven a car. Most people can light a fag, change the radio, etc without taking their eyes off the road - or at least it's less than a second, the same amount of time you'd spend glancing in the rear mirror. But unlocking your phone, opening the message and reading it clearly takes a lot more time and attention.

And I agree, it's only when you've done it and reflected later on what a stupid thing it was that you can really understand.

Not sure what's puzzling about it. An estimated 9,000 Britons died prematurely last winter because of freezing homes. That's times 90 who died or were seriously injured as a result of drivers using mobile phones. Which is the bigger problem? Seems an easy one to work out. But of course, the government would rather thousands croak every year before their time rather than force energy companies to pass on the much reduced prices they pay for gas and oil to consumers.

Not sure what's puzzling about it. An estimated 9,000 Britons died prematurely last winter because of freezing homes. That's times 90 who died or were seriously injured as a result of drivers using mobile phones. Which is the bigger problem? Seems an easy one to work out. But of course, the government would rather thousands croak every year before their time rather than force energy companies to pass on the much reduced prices they pay for gas and oil to consumers.
    I'm sure the government would love to tax mother nature and her cold weather but the bitch never pays up..... ;-)

Blog Entries

The biggest distraction in a car are Kids, if you have ever tried picking up a toy or dummy that a crying kid has dropped on the floor while going along the motorway you will know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    The biggest distraction in a car are Kids, if you have ever tried picking up a toy or dummy that a crying kid has dropped on the floor while going along the motorway you will know what I mean.
    I've told you before, people who have kids are nuts. Deserve everything they get.

Blog Entries

I've told you before, people who have kids are nuts. Deserve everything they get.
    If you are not nuts to start with you soon will be, we will be releasing one in to the wild soon, she's found a flat.

Your examples of car distractions, not the figures.

What are the benefits of using a mobile while driving?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    If you are not nuts to start with you soon will be, we will be releasing one in to the wild soon, she's found a flat.
    Finally, enjoy getting your life back. Kids ruin adults lives, selfish little bastards that they are.

Blog Entries

Finally, enjoy getting your life back. Kids ruin adults lives, selfish little bastards that they are.
    I know, they expect you to keep them stocked up with crisps too, little feckers

The other one is old enough to be home alone now so I might take some of the djing sets I've been offered, before I'm past it and lose my hearing

Organ, you know very well if the government could find a way of taxing those 9,000 who were dying of cold, for dying of cold while using a mobile phone at the same time, then they would.

Quote Originally Posted by lardy View Post
    Your examples of car distractions, not the figures.

What are the benefits of using a mobile while driving?
    I suppose they're similar to the benefits of using them when not driving. 0.004% of calls oil the wheels of commerce and to communicate emergencies, the rest are unnecessary piffle.