+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lonely Lambert.

Lonely Lambert.

Felt a bit sorry for Ricky today, it's obvious that he doesn't possess any pace, and i'm not sure that he's the kind of striker who will create that little bit of space in the box by peeling off a player, he looks more of a powerhouse, strengh and aggression are maybe the key components to his game. What he did show today, was a good first touch, yet not one player was getting beyond him, or demanded the ball, there were times when he had to put his foot on the ball because their was no support or a player with enough determination to make that run and pull the Leeds defense about. There is so much wrong on the pitch at the moment, there are no characters, there is no noise, it doesn't look like the players fancy it, and that's massively worrying. I'd love to end this post on a positive, but i just can't think of one-there seems to be major problems at the club that are affecting the players, what else can it be? I've never seen a group of players so unwilling to take risks or act asscertively . After just 7 or 8 games, confidence looks shot, that's a massive problem.

Re: Lonely Lambert.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuerto View Post
    Felt a bit sorry for Ricky today, it's obvious that he doesn't possess any pace, and i'm not sure that he's the kind of striker who will create that little bit of space in the box by peeling off a player, he looks more of a powerhouse, strengh and aggression are maybe the key components to his game. What he did show today, was a good first touch, yet not one player was getting beyond him, or demanded the ball, there were times when he had to put his foot on the ball because their waKads no support or a player with enough determination to make that run and pull the Leeds defense about. There is so much wrong on the pitch at the moment, there are no characters, there is no noise, it doesn't look like the players fancy it, and that's massively worrying. I'd love to end this post on a positive, but i just can't think of one-there seems to be major problems at the club that are affecting the players, what else can it be? I've never seen a group of players so unwilling to take risks or act asscertively . After just 7 or 8 games, confidence looks shot, that's a massive problem.
    Thanks for writing this - I was just about to make the same post. That elusive bubble of confidence and belief has well and truly burst for the players. They were abject against a poor Leeds side and we NEVER looked like imposing any form of order on the game. The epitome of this for me is Ralls who looked slow and terrified all afternoon. No idea what they've said to him but he looks a shadow of the player he was last year. I was hoping he'd step up this year but he's stepped off by the look of it...

I'm now genuinely concerned for our season as I don't see where we go from here. The positives from the game today that I saw were:

1. Amos looks like he has something solid and reassuring about him - good to see him bollocking his players when they let Leeds through

2. Kadeem still has that desire and ability to get forward - though why he was then placed at right back when Connolly came off was beyond me

3. Lambert has a great touch and pass, and is really good at holding the ball up. Not that it matters if there is no-one in support

4. Gunnarsson really put a shift in. However his inability to keep a move going once he's won the ball is his Achilles heel. One early pass to Noone when we had them in trouble was so poor it didn't warrant the label of being shit.

So this season is now a Relegation fight already - and one I can't see us winning based on these first games. Still, every club wants to win and someone has to miss out. I don't see how to change this without changing the coach and settling on a first team squad that can actually play football.

For me the only players who should automatically be in the team at this point are:

Amos
    Peltier
    Connolly
    Whitts (if only to ensure we have someone who can pass the ball to another player on our team)

Everyone else has yet to earn the right to play

Richards did ok, Connolly was poor overall

Amos is a poor long ball kicker.

Connolly's demeanour after his ricket during the first half when he passed the ball to a Leeds player said it all.His head dropped as did any hope of us getting anything out of that game.

Gunnars looked dead on his feet for most of the 2nd half

Ralls, Whiits and Gunnars in the 4-3-3 didn't work - no pace.

Peltier appeared to be the one who committed the foul and gave the ref a 2nd chance to give Leeds a penalty.

Lambert tried hard but had little service.

Pilkington was next to useless and it was no surprise to see him injured.

Noone tried but fizzled and took the inside option far too many times rather than go past his man.

There was little to get excited about in this clash of two poor sides.

[QUOTE=Penarth Blues;4674139]Thanks for writing this - I was just about to make the same post. That elusive bubble of confidence and belief has well and truly burst for the players. They were abject against a poor Leeds side and we NEVER looked like imposing any form of order on the game. The epitome of this for me is Ralls who looked slow and terrified all afternoon. No idea what they've said to him but he looks a shadow of the player he was last year. I was hoping he'd step up this year but he's stepped off by the look of it...

I'm now genuinely concerned for our season as I don't see where we go from here. The positives from the game today that I saw were:

1. Amos looks like he has something solid and reassuring about him - good to see him bollocking his players when they let Leeds through

2. Kadeem still has that desire and ability to get forward - though why he was then placed at right back when Connolly came off was beyond me

3. Lambert has a great touch and pass, and is really good at holding the ball up. Not that it matters if there is no-one in support

4. Gunnarsson really put a shift in. However his inability to keep a move going once he's won the ball is his Achilles heel. One early pass to Noone when we had them in trouble was so poor it didn't warrant the label of being shit.

So this season is now a Relegation fight already - and one I can't see us winning based on these first games. Still, every club wants to win and someone has to miss out. I don't see how to change this without changing the coach and settling on a first team squad that can actually play football.

For me the only players who should automatically be in the team at this point are:

Amos
    Peltier
    Connolly
    Whitts (if only to ensure we have someone who can pass the ball to another player on our team)

Everyone else has yet to earn the right to play[/QUOT

I can't understand the huge lack of confidence, it's like the whole squad has been struck down with it, and it doesn't look like there is any way back at the moment, there's not a hint of self belief on that pitch. We don't have bad players, none of them are great, but the majority are decent operators at this level, and mid-table shouldn't be an issue. I've never seen anything like it, a group of half decent players with no stomach. Forget formations, the lack of belief is worrying.

Quote Originally Posted by Penarth Blues View Post
    Thanks for writing this - I was just about to make the same post. That elusive bubble of confidence and belief has well and truly burst for the players. They were abject against a poor Leeds side and we NEVER looked like imposing any form of order on the game. The epitome of this for me is Ralls who looked slow and terrified all afternoon. No idea what they've said to him but he looks a shadow of the player he was last year. I was hoping he'd step up this year but he's stepped off by the look of it...

Amos
    Peltier
    Connolly

Whitts passing is ok but set peices aren't, 12 corners and loads of free kick deliveries came to nothing

[QUOTE=Tuerto;4674144]

Amos
    Peltier
    Connolly

Everyone else has yet to earn the right to play[/QUOT

I can't understand the huge lack of confidence, it's like the whole squad has been struck down with it, and it doesn't look like there is any way back at the moment, there's not a hint of self belief on that pitch. We don't have bad players, none of them are great, but the majority are decent operators at this level, and mid-table shouldn't be an issue. I've never seen anything like it, a group of half decent players with no stomach. Forget formations, the lack of belief is worrying.
    Even in the first half I was struck by how frail we looked once our early pressure had come to nothing. We've not been a creative or attractive team since we got relegated, but we've always had character - there was nothing wrong with the player's attitude in terms of effort today, but heads dropped very quickly once things started going against us.

Got to agree with Penarth Blues about that pass by Gunnarsson as well - an absolute shocker.

[QUOTE=the other bob wilson;4674163]

Even in the first half I was struck by how frail we looked once our early pressure had come to nothing. We've not been a creative or attractive team since we got relegated, but we've always had character - there was nothing wrong with the player's attitude in terms of effort today, but heads dropped very quickly once things started going against us.

Got to agree with Penarth Blues about that pass by Gunnarsson as well - an absolute shocker.
    I agree with this, heads dropped very quickly.

Also, maybe I see games differently to a others, including WalesOnline, but what does everyone see in Gunnarsson? Yes he "puts a shift in" but to me he always seems too slow and doesn't have the football brain to make up for his lack of speed. This was magnified in the second half when he was knackered and seemed to be watching the game go past him.

Lambert shite. (West Bromwich fans were right unfortunately)
    Amos looks o.k.
    Trollope out, the sooner the better or we are ****ed.

Quote Originally Posted by barrybloo View Post
    Lambert shite. (West Bromwich fans were right unfortunately)
    Amos looks o.k.
    Trollope out, the sooner the better or we are ****ed.
    Can't agree about Lambert. He was fighting a lone battle today, but it is obvious that he is a class player. The attack needs to be built around his obvious ability to hold the ball and deliver passes that actually find players on his own side.

[QUOTE=neilw65;4674165]
    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Also, maybe I see games differently to a others, including WalesOnline, but what does everyone see in Gunnarsson? Yes he "puts a shift in" but to me he always seems too slow and doesn't have the football brain to make up for his lack of speed. This was magnified in the second half when he was knackered and seemed to be watching the game go past him.
    He was one of several players(the most obvious Noone) who could have been subbed. The manager did nothing!!!

[QUOTE=Hilts;4674176]
    Quote Originally Posted by neilw65 View Post

He was one of several players(the most obvious Noone) who could have been subbed. The manager did nothing!!!
    It was Trollope's substitutions and the fact that it was so late when he made them anyway, that is making me change my mind and that maybe Trollope should go

They've had a poor start to the season for sure, but have undoubtedly been a little unlucky in a couple of games. That will have drained confidence. The lack of options up front will have drained confidence (who on earth signed Zohore and the Gounongbe - surely not the manager?). The sale of two goalkeepers (one of whom was one of the very best in the Championship and captain of the club) will have drained confidence. The way the club is being downgraded by Tan and his merry men will have drained confidence. But probably the most key aspect is whether or not the players as a unit have any confidence in Trollope. On recent evidence, it doesn't look to me like they do.

One thing that stood out like sore thumb today was the chronic lack of pace in the side. Regardless of the level, I honestly can't remember ever seeing such a slow Cardiff City team before. It contains a number of players who are decent enough on the ball, but the lack of pace and movement, especially in and around the box, is evidently making things easy for opposition even as limited as the likes of Leeds (who looked poor) and Preston.

Agree. Lambert for the first half looked good.
    First touch superb but our midfield let us down again. No suppprt for the guy.

First goal was crucial today unfortunately we wasted good early opportunities which would have given us something to hold on to.
    Whitts poor defensively gave the ball away too often and not much better creatively. Yes he can pass a ball but more required on a cv unfortunately.
    Ralls disappointed again, was hoping for better things this season.
    Noone looked promising first 20 but faded.
    Gunnar looks a tired man so effectively our front two fed off scraps and had to come deep to get in the game which nullified our threat.

If there is one thing we can take from today is that we created more opportunities to score in the box, usually from set pieces, but quite how much that was down to Leeds who weren't great either is debatable.
    One thing that isn't debatable is that if we do not start hitting the back of the net pdq, we are fecked!

Calls for "Trollope out" I am against if only for the simple reason we will be back to square one.
    At least his formation was slightly better. I think we have quality in the squad but pressure makes people do funny things. It isn't nice seeing us bottom and if the players don't back the manager he could be a dead man walking.

[QUOTE=neilw65;4674165]
    Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

I'm not as anti Gunnarsson as some, but it says so much about where we find ourselves that he was supposed to be our number 10 today! That really brings home how samey all but one of our central midfielders are.

I know it's uses another converted winger up front, but we've got to get someone who can stretch defences up there, so I'd tell Kadeem Harris to play on the last man's shoulder - his pace might help turn the sort of ordinary passes our midfield is currently providing into good ones.

Banned

Mid way through the second half he was knackered, Trolls should have replaced him instead of running him into the ground. If the manager persists with Lambert then I do fear the worse. Saying that I thought we played quite well today and don't think we deserved to lose
    Last edited by Tandy; 17-09-16 at 18:42.

I'm afraid to say Cardiff City are an easy team to beat, we have no pace in the midfield and no real wingers that will cause problems, Noone has been poor for a few years Pilkington may be ok if played as a winger but he probably doesn't know where he is going to play. So what formation we can actually play is beyond me. possibly go 5.5.0. and try for draws.
    Lambert would be a fabulous signing if we had an Earnie or Chopra around him, or a midfielder that can get up there, We don't though, and he won't score more than 5 this year, not his fault.

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    Can't agree about Lambert. He was fighting a lone battle today, but it is obvious that he is a class player. The attack needs to be built around his obvious ability to hold the ball and deliver passes that actually find players on his own side.
    Yes we need an inside forward to play off him ...... Someone like joe mason or ALF??

Rickie wasnt lonely up there he had half a dozen still life artists doing images of him

I don't understand this obsession with playing left footed wingers on the right and vice versa. When Harris came on that was an ideal time to put Noone on the left and Harris on the right but Trollope decides they are better off constantly cutting back onto their stronger foot and having their crosses blocked.

Amos
    Peltier
    Connolly

It's amazing how many people fantasise that Whittingham can "drift" anywhere, dictate the play, be a "quarterback" or anything at all from central midfield. He has confused yet another manager, but this one is at least younger than the others who were confused in allowing him to ruin our midfield, which he has done (from the centre) for a few seasons now.

It's like playing with 10 men unless he's taking a free kick or a corner, where there is a 50% chance he'll hit a good one.

Ralls has obviously been influenced by Whittingham, because he has become useless as well.

Gunarsson has to try to compensate for these 2 incompetents, and tries so hard that he lunges about looking like an enthusiastic snail on amphetamine.

Our midfield is pathetic.

Oh well, it's early in the season. Maybe Warnock is available to put a bit of oomph into our efforts at least.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    They've had a poor start to the season for sure, but have undoubtedly been a little unlucky in a couple of games. That will have drained confidence. The lack of options up front will have drained confidence (who on earth signed Zohore and the Gounongbe - surely not the manager?). The sale of two goalkeepers (one of whom was one of the very best in the Championship and captain of the club) will have drained confidence. The way the club is being downgraded by Tan and his merry men will have drained confidence. But probably the most key aspect is whether or not the players as a unit have any confidence in Trollope. On recent evidence, it doesn't look to me like they do.

One thing that stood out like sore thumb today was the chronic lack of pace in the side. Regardless of the level, I honestly can't remember ever seeing such a slow Cardiff City team before. It contains a number of players who are decent enough on the ball, but the lack of pace and movement, especially in and around the box, is evidently making things easy for opposition even as limited as the likes of Leeds (who looked poor) and Preston.
    I wouldn't dispute any of what you've said, it's like an endemic condition throughout the club, i've never seen anything like it, even when we were really shit, we would have had one player who may have had the ability to win a game, with this lot there is nothing. I wouldn't pin Trollope for this mess like some are doing, this is a sustained combination of poor appointments, lack of leadership, knowledge and ability throughout the club, it's a decline that i can't see the club reversing. I'm not usually knee jerk, but something is very wrong, and it's showing through the product, a completely dis-engaged work force.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    I don't understand this obsession with playing left footed wingers on the right and vice versa. When Harris came on that was an ideal time to put Noone on the left and Harris on the right but Trollope decides they are better off constantly cutting back onto their stronger foot and having their crosses blocked.
    ^^^^this^^^
    The only thing I can see any benefit having a right footed winger on the left and vice versa is that they can cut inside and shoot but not only do we not do that, defences set up to defend it.
    It also narrows the pitch making it easier for defences. Hug the touch line, get to the byline and stretch the defence.
    Even if they swapped now and again would be something

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    ^^^^this^^^
    The only thing I can see any benefit having a right footed winger on the left and vice versa is that they can cut inside and shoot but not only do we not do that, defences set up to defend it.
    It also narrows the pitch making it easier for defences. Hug the touch line, get to the byline and stretch the defence.
    Even if they swapped now and again would be something
    Noone has lost so much in the past couple of years. When he joined he was a rampaging winger who could take on defenders on the outside, beat them with pace or trickery and cross with either foot. Now he is consigned to the right and only seems comfortable cutting inside, as you say.

I watched the game with a couple of Leeds fans sat behind me and some Nuetrals. The First half they thought we were on top and unlucky not go ahead.
    On the other hand I was not convinced as we seemed so disjointed even with a lot of possesion , and I could only see a slight chance of a goal from a set piece. The players looked like they had the same mentality .