+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Stadium Drums

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Stadium Drums

On Saturday Gary Monk claimed that the Leeds fans took control of the stadium, and I agree they did

Do our drums help or hinder?

I think they are a pain.

From the time the bass drum starts with the ' funeral march' tempo I know we are either going to sing ' Lalla CITY' or 'Barmy Army'

Little else fits in. So 'Come on City', You are my Cardiff, Greatest team in football, and Little pick and Shovel are binned.

What's more the spontaneity has gone. Vince and the drummers decide what we will sing and when we will sing it.

It's ruining the atmosphere, so lets get rid

Re: The Stadium Drums

The lack of fans and the lack of goalmouth action on the pitch is ruining the atmosphere.
    It would be worse without the drums.

Don't like the drums

Quote Originally Posted by darran1927 View Post
    Don't like the drums
    No one misses me and I don't care.
    One reason i won't do home games is the drums are awful.
    There are other reasons...Notably travel.

I actually loved the band at the Wales game v Moldova but I am afraid drums have no part in a football stadium under normal circumstances.

They are a total stinkfest when things are going badly

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysAway2 View Post
    No one misses me and I don't care.
    One reason i won't do home games is the drums are awful.
    There are other reasons...Notably travel.

I actually loved the band at the Wales game v Moldova but I am afraid drums have no part in a football stadium under normal circumstances.

They are a total stinkfest when things are going badly
    Unless you're in Germany, or The Netherlands, or Austria or France, or Poland, or Portugal, or any of the Eastern European teams that create genuine atmosphere etc etc etc...

Absolute pain in the arse imho. I can't stand them. As you say, it does more harm than good to the atmosphere.

Also hate that Iceland chant - it's Iceland's not ours.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Absolute pain in the arse imho. I can't stand them. As you say, it does more harm than good to the atmosphere.

Also hate that Iceland chant - it's Iceland's not ours.

Thought it was some Scottish club's fans that started it, ?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Thought it was some Scottish club's fans that started it, ?
    Dunno. Either way, when we do it, its shit.

Just copy the Crystal Palace template for creating a contrived atmosphere: goal music, throw-in music, corner music, high-kicking cheerleaders wearing next to nothing, a Cardiff Ultras fans area where people will be expected to sing, dance and throw their hands about for 90 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Organ Morgan. View Post
    Just copy the Crystal Palace template for creating a contrived atmosphere: goal music, throw-in music, corner music, high-kicking cheerleaders wearing next to nothing, a Cardiff Ultras fans area where people will be expected to sing, dance and throw their hands about for 90 minutes.

NOW you're talking!

If the drums were silenced, we would be silent.

It's not as if we're loud without them!! At times in the Leeds game (as with most games), especially after half time, the drum is the only sound in the stadium.

If the drums stop, we stop. They're the only ones really making an effort imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ainsley Harriott View Post
    If the drums were silenced, we would be silent.

It's not as if we're loud without them!! At times in the Leeds game (as with most games), especially after half time, the drum is the only sound in the stadium.

If the drums stop, we stop. They're the only ones really making an effort imo.
    Not so. I've heard people trying to sing ' Pick and shovel' and 'Come on City' only to be drowned out by the bass drum

The drums are the least of our problems.

The drums are shite and when City were shitter in the fourth div we still managed a better atmosphere with 3K crowds. I'm sorry but the Canton who should do the leading regards singing offer next to nothing. Yesterday they couldn't even offer one "we hate Leeds scum" chant

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    The drums are shite and when City were shitter in the fourth div we still managed a better atmosphere with 3K crowds. I'm sorry but the Canton who should do the leading regards singing offer next to nothing. Yesterday they couldn't even offer one "we hate Leeds scum" chant
    The majority of times the atmosphere at Ninian Park during the dungeon years was absolutely abysmal, I must have been dozing off during those great atmospheres.

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    The majority of times the atmosphere at Ninian Park during the dungeon years was absolutely abysmal, I must have been dozing off during those great atmospheres.
    Even the bad ones were far better than now

Quote Originally Posted by splott parker View Post
    I too remember a good 90% of my matches at Ninian being dismal, drab and quiet affairs. In my early years I tended to go where the singing was and it was around the TV gantry on the Bob in the late 80s / early 90s, then the open air Grange and in later years Block A upper, then Block A lower.

In the last couple of years we had STs on the Bob Bank Terrace and quite often I'd get scowled at if I tried starting any chants and would usually be on my own. Even in the 18k+ crowds, it was quiet on the BBT and you could more often than not hear the players calling each other. Having said that, I now can't remember the last raucous atmosphere at the CCS.

Was it Man City in the Prem (not Champ)?

That weirdo GrangeEnd on the dark side just copied the OP word for word.

I've said for a long time that we'd actually do better with a fan with the full repertoire of City songs (new and ancient) and a loud hailer like in the European leagues. People often need a short cue and the drum simply isn't providing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post
    I've said for a long time that we'd actually do better with a fan with the full repertoire of City songs (new and ancient) and a loud hailer like in the European leagues. People often need a short cue and the drum simply isn't providing it.
    I'd like to have a loud hailer sometimes to let the players and ref know what I think of them sometimes

Not a huge fan of the drums either. Whether or not atmosphere would be improved if we got rid of them not sure but we're a club that shouldn't need someone banging a drum to create an atmosphere. On many occasions me and a group of mates who stand near the back of block 106 in the canton have started chants going only to be drowned out by "barmy army" or likewise on the drum.

Also I would get rid of the Iceland clap/chant, it's theirs not ours and the fact that we've copied it is a bit embarrassing really.

Quote Originally Posted by bradders27 View Post
    Not a huge fan of the drums either. Whether or not atmosphere would be improved if we got rid of them not sure but we're a club that shouldn't need someone banging a drum to create an atmosphere. On many occasions me and a group of mates who stand near the back of block 106 in the canton have started chants going only to be drowned out by "barmy army" or likewise on the drum.

Also I would get rid of the Iceland clap/chant, it's theirs not ours and the fact that we've copied it is a bit embarrassing really.
    THIS ^^^

Bloody awful din!
    Even if it does go quiet due to crap footy or us getting battered, there is always someone.who will get things going with a song.
    Most people don't want to sing all the time and as others have said, when a bit of spontaneity happens with a chant relevant to something that's happened on the pitch, it gets drowned out by the contrived same old same old from the Canton end.

I sit up the other end and it drives me crazy, must be worse for those who have STs down the Canton.
    I suppose at least they can choose another seat further away at the moment due to the dwindling crowds.

THE DRUM MUST GO. THE DRUM MUST GO. THE DRUM MUST GO....

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post

THE DRUM MUST GO. THE DRUM MUST GO. THE DRUM MUST GO....
    Give Vince a trumpet and powerful amplifier instead.

animated-trumpet-image-0014.gif

Can't stand drums unless Ginger Baker is playing them.