+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Pilkington injury

Blue in the Face

Pilkington injury

If Pilkington misses the next game it could work out to be the blessing of our season. In terms of a highlight reel, he has probably given us the best moments of the season, but Pilks has been losing possession a hell of a lot this year when we're in good positions. Though it's not for a lack of effort. AP is probably considered too good to drop. So it possibly could benefit all parties for him to have a couple of games out and to allow us to experiment with someone else.

It may force PT's hand to play Kadeem in the no.10 slot. We are missing a really rapid direct runner in the final third of the pitch and off the shoulder to stretch the opposition defense. This move I feel could even have the potential to make the 3-5-2 come together.

Re: Pilkington injury

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    If Pilkington misses the next game it could work out to be the blessing of our season. In terms of a highlight reel, he has probably given us the best moments of the season, but Pilks has been losing possession a hell of a lot this year when we're in good positions. Though it's not for a lack of effort. AP is probably considered too good to drop. So it possibly could benefit all parties for him to have a couple of games out and to allow us to experiment with someone else.

It may force PT's hand to play Kadeem in the no.10 slot. We are missing a really rapid direct runner in the final third of the pitch and off the shoulder to stretch the opposition defense. This move I feel could even have the potential to make the 3-5-2 come together.
    Please don't mention 532 again.
    Take your point about Harris, but i see him more as a wide midfield. If Trollope goes 433 again at Rotherham I assume the he will just be a,straight swap for Pilks out wide.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy corbyn View Post
    Please don't mention 532 again.
    Take your point about Harris, but i see him more as a wide midfield. If Trollope goes 433 again at Rotherham I assume the he will just be a,straight swap for Pilks out wide.
    Thing is, we seem to have done worse with conventional formations the past couple of games than we did with 5-3-2. Our problem is a mis-balanced squad with a lack of variety and a lack of certain types of attack minded players. Tactics are not what has let us down I feel JC. Though I imagine it's likely 5-3-2 will be ditched until we can recover anyway.

Agree that Harris is more of a winger, but when we've played 5-3-2 the no.10 has drifted into the channels anyway, so it suits that this player is more of a winger than a centre forward.

It's highly probable that you're right about our tactics for Rotherham.

Thing is, we seem to have done worse with conventional formations the past couple of games than we did with 5-3-2. Our problem is a mis-balanced squad with a lack of variety and a lack of certain types of attack minded players. Tactics are not what has let us down I feel JC. Though I imagine it's likely 5-3-2 will be ditched until we can recover anyway.

Agree that Harris is more of a winger, but when we've played 5-3-2 the no.10 has drifted into the channels anyway, so it suits that this player is more of a winger than a centre forward.

It's highly probable that you're right about our tactics for Rotherham.
    I posted on other thread a few days ago that we should go back to basics, play 442 and make sure that we are hard to beat. Yes I know that's Slades tactics but given our current predicament I see that as the only possible way forward. Sometime I think you can over complicate football, which I believe has been Trollopes problem. He is a coach, not a manager.
    Possible team for that 442, assuming Pilks unfit Saturday.
    Amos
    Peltier
    Richards
    Manga
    Morrison
    Noone
    Ralls
    Whitts
    Gunnar
    Lambert
    Harris

Blue in the Face

I posted on other thread a few days ago that we should go back to basics, play 442 and make sure that we are hard to beat. Yes I know that's Slades tactics but given our current predicament I see that as the only possible way forward. Sometime I think you can over complicate football, which I believe has been Trollopes problem. He is a coach, not a manager.
    Possible team for that 442, assuming Pilks unfit Saturday.
    Amos
    Peltier
    Richards
    Manga
    Morrison
    Noone
    Ralls
    Whitts
    Gunnar
    Lambert
    Harris
    You might be right with that line up. Morrison is destined to start lots of games now because of the captaincy. Is that why you've taken Connelly out? Or because he's on bad form? Manga is our best CB, but he always has 10 minutes of crazyness. Hopefully he'll re-find the form he showed the season before last as he'll be playing for a contract somewhere soon.

I don't think Whitts and Gunnar should ever play together. They compound each others weaknesses. I also think that 9 games out of 10 No one is a league one player.

It's hard to judge PT's management so soon. He's inherited one of the hardest clubs to manage in the division.
    Last edited by Blue in the Face; 20-09-16 at 16:51.

Why oh why, are people saying "one trick pony" Noone should be playing.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Why oh why, are people saying "one trick pony" Noone should be playing.
    Noone was superb in the promotion season and did better than most at PL level. As he did at Brighton, he appears to have lost his way.......shame!

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    Noone was superb in the promotion season and did better than most at PL level. As he did at Brighton, he appears to have lost his way.......shame!
    Is that because he's played on the right wing and therefore has to cut in all of the time?

You might be right with that line up. Morrison is destined to start lots of games now because of the captaincy. Is that why you've taken Connelly out? Or because he's on bad form? Manga is our best CB, but he always has 10 minutes of crazyness. Hopefully he'll re-find the form he showed the season before last as he'll be playing for a contract somewhere soon.

I don't think Whitts and Gunnar should ever play together. They compound each others weaknesses. I also think that 9 games out of 10 No one is a league one player.

It's hard to judge PT's management so soon. He's inherited one of the hardest clubs to manage in the division.

I wouldn't play Gunnarsson or Ralls, both have been poor recently.

Quote Originally Posted by neilw65 View Post
    I wouldn't play Gunnarsson or Ralls, both have been poor recently.
    I think a period of stability is needed. Trollope has made too many changes. Gunnar has been ok, Ralls not up to last years better performances, but I don't see any alternatives with OKeefe still out and Huws seemingly not in the managers plans yet. I am not a big fan of Noone, but he has a bit of pace and one of a few on the team who has a goal in him. That is another reason why I included Manga, he is due a goal and Connolly almost gave away a goal before the stupid penalty.

I think a period of stability is needed. Trollope has made too many changes. Gunnar has been ok, Ralls not up to last years better performances, but I don't see any alternatives with OKeefe still out and Huws seemingly not in the managers plans yet. I am not a big fan of Noone, but he has a bit of pace and one of a few on the team who has a goal in him. That is another reason why I included Manga, he is due a goal and Connolly almost gave away a goal before the stupid penalty.
    Gunnar and Noone are part of the problem . They both waste the ball. Get Immers and O'Keefe who is now fit in instead and we will be a lot stronger

And if OKeefe isn't ready get Huws in.
    Immers must start, wins more ball than Gunnar and is far more effective with it.

I think he'd work really well with Lambert and Pilkington and with 3 of Ralls, Whitts, Huws and O'Keefe we would have a midfield and front 6 all comfortable on the ball and able to pass and link up

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    And if OKeefe isn't ready get Huws in.
    Immers must start, wins more ball than Gunnar and is far more effective with it.

I think he'd work really well with Lambert and Pilkington and with 3 of Ralls, Whitts, Huws and O'Keefe we would have a midfield and front 6 all comfortable on the ball and able to pass and link up
    Tim, IMO Ralls and Whitts cannot both be in the same side, no pace or defensive qualities. One or the other and at the moment it has to be Whitts as Ralls has been way off form. I think we need O’Keefe back asap.
    Spedger

I would personally play
    ...................Amos.........................
    Richards.....manga.. Connolly.....John
    Harris..........Huws....whitts.........No-one
    .........................Immers................... .........
    .........................Lambert.................. .........

No-one purely for pace something we are seriously lacking and have been since DJ left