+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Mac OS Sierra

Mac OS Sierra

Has anyone downloaded OS Sierra for Mac as yet?

Just wondering what its like compared to El Capitan.

Any advice would be gratefully received

Many thanks

Re: Mac OS Sierra

I left it downloading/installing this morning, will let you have my thoughts later.

Quote Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
    Has anyone downloaded OS Sierra for Mac as yet?

Just wondering what its like compared to El Capitan.

Any advice would be gratefully received

Many thanks
    Excellent if your running a Mac 2013 or later, very good if its late 2009 to 2012.
    Been running it since June and Siri is good, as mine's a late 2009 model not everything is suitable, but worth the download.

Ok, not had much chance to play but first thoughts are that it all looks very similar to capitan. Siri is now available, but I've yet to test it out (not a big fan of Siri anyway tbh as I feel a bit of a dick talking to my phone). Pulled my hair out for a while trying to get my watch to unlock my Mac - top tip, after you've enabled it, reboot Mac, phone and watch if it doesn't work.

An app that I really like is the iCloud Drive app that stores all your documents on all of your devices.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    Ok, not had much chance to play but first thoughts are that it all looks very similar to capitan. Siri is now available, but I've yet to test it out (not a big fan of Siri anyway tbh as I feel a bit of a dick talking to my phone). Pulled my hair out for a while trying to get my watch to unlock my Mac - top tip, after you've enabled it, reboot Mac, phone and watch if it doesn't work.

An app that I really like is the iCloud Drive app that stores all your documents on all of your devices.
    Talk me through the iCloud Drive app TH63...

Quote Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
    Talk me through the iCloud Drive app TH63...
    It appeared on my phone and iPad - basically open it up and all your documents are shown there, so if you create a spreadsheet on your Mac, if you open the app on your phone and/or iPad it will be there. I know you could do that before by logging into the cloud, but the app makes it much easier. Start work on your Mac, the. Carry on on the train with your phone for example.

That's about as technical as I get sorry!

I'd be interested in posters thoughts as well. I've on a mid 2012 Mac but upgraded to 16gb ram so will wait to see what early adopters think

It appeared on my phone and iPad - basically open it up and all your documents are shown there, so if you create a spreadsheet on your Mac, if you open the app on your phone and/or iPad it will be there. I know you could do that before by logging into the cloud, but the app makes it much easier. Start work on your Mac, the. Carry on on the train with your phone for example.

That's about as technical as I get sorry!
    google drive is the same ( infact most of the cloud services are )

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    google drive is the same ( infact most of the cloud services are )
    And OneDrive / Office Online has been available on Windows platform for ages already !

Just a case of taking your pick.
    Makes sense for Mac users to use iCloud, but only if they only want to access / sync stuff on other Apple devices.

Otherwise OneDrive and Google Drive might work out better for Mac users as they are considerably more 'cross platform' .
    Last edited by Vimana.; 21-09-16 at 22:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    And OneDrive / Office Online has been available on Windows platform for ages already !

Just a case of taking your pick.
    Makes sense for Mac users to use iCloud, but only if they only want to access / sync stuff on other Apple devices.

Otherwise OneDrive and Google Drive might work out better for Mac users as they are considerably more 'cross platform' .
    I've been able to work on a document on my Mac, then access it at work from a PC and carry on with it via the iCloud for a while now. Since downloading Sierra though, as I said earlier, it automatically created an app on both my phone and iPad which contained all of my files, I'm assuming I can still access them on a PC via iCloud as before. The new app is just an easier way of working across different bits of Apple kit.

I'm afraid I know as much about I drive m google drive and IT in general as Vincent tan knows about hiring football managers.

Bloody thing wiped out all my customised icons. Had to spend an hour changing them back which is fiddly for things like Finder. Why are Apple so precious about user customisation?

Are Apple only just getting this? Been doing that for several years.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    All I know is that the app is new.

I am to technology what Russel Slade is to entertaining football

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dragon View Post
    Ahh but when apple do it it is revolutionary!