+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paul Gascoigne guilty over racist comment

Paul Gascoigne guilty over racist comment

- - Former England footballer Paul Gascoigne has pleaded guilty to racially aggravated abuse after a "joke" he told during a show.

Gascoigne, 49, made the comment during An Evening With Gazza in Wolverhampton on 30 November 2015.
    At Dudley Magistrates' Court, the ex-player admitted using "threatening or abusive words or behaviour".

Gascoigne, who lives in Dorset, was fined £1,000 and ordered to pay £1,000 in compensation. - -

More: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37406549

Re: Paul Gascoigne guilty over racist comment

Crikey, you don't want to go around telling jokes in this day and age.

He was fined £1,000, ordered to pay the victim £1,000 in compo and clobbered with £500 costs for saying: "Can you smile please, because I can't see you" to a black security guard.

Speech used to be free in the UK. That's inflation for you.

Security guard went home and cried after his 'hero' Paul Gascoigne racially abused him at Evening with Gazza show - http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...-cried-8869406

It really is OTT. Most of us have jokes with others about being tall,small,ginger,fat,thin etc etc. It's part of very day living.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    It really is OTT. Most of us have jokes with others about being tall,small,ginger,fat,thin etc etc. It's part of very day living.
    some topics are currently of limits, ask Malky and Iain

I think the Malky thing went to another level. Gascoigne's comment was very mild.

What's the difference between "an evening with Gazza" and "an evening with chubby brown"?
    My point being that it seems comedians can say what they like. As do drag artists.
    All fair game IMO in the right surroundings of course.
    Whatever happened to sticks and stones?

Is this, "that VERY day "

Court case seems over the top, but what a thing to say.

That's the best I've seen Gazza looking for a while though, he should get involved in a court case more often.

I think the Malky thing went to another level. Gascoigne's comment was very mild.
    society these days says it is not acceptable

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    society these days says it is not acceptable
    And what is Pearcey3 if not a member of society?

Blog Entries

When we went to see Bernard Manning he said to me "I bet you've flattened some grass in your time" is that much different?

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    And what is Pearcey3 if not a member of society?
    are you disagreeing with my statement that society says that jokes like Gazza made are not acceptable these days ? ? ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Steve R View Post
    When we went to see Bernard Manning he said to me "I bet you've flattened some grass in your time" is that much different?
    You should be so lucky.😁

Jokes by their very nature are usually at somebody's expense. I understand you have to be more careful these days but if he ends up in Court over something like this it's getting to a point where you can't joke at all.

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    are you disagreeing with my statement that society says that jokes like Gazza made are not acceptable these days ? ? ?
    Some parts of society might think that way, plenty of other parts of society don't.

Blog Entries

You should be so lucky.

Jokes by their very nature are usually at somebody's expense. I understand you have to be more careful these days but if he ends up in Court over something like this it's getting to a point where you can't joke at all.
    Do you think that making examples of people and plastering it all over the papers is a form of social conditioning? It has obviously made you think twice about making jokes.

Do you think that making examples of people and plastering it all over the papers is a form of social conditioning? It has obviously made you think twice about making jokes.
    Certainly. That and those who make the rules, the courts solicitors judges and barristers lining their own pockets.
    Back in the day if someone offended you then you'd either smack 'em in the mouth, retort with a cutting remark of your own or suck it up with some nervous laughter.

As I said, sticks and stones. We were 'appy then, though we were poor...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Certainly. That and those who make the rules, the courts solicitors judges and barristers lining their own pockets.
    Back in the day if someone offended you then you'd either smack 'em in the mouth, retort with a cutting remark of your own or suck it up with some nervous laughter.

As I said, sticks and stones. We were 'appy then, though we were poor...
    Making me feel old now, people do seem to get upset over just about everything you can think of these days, I blame it on these 'Soft play' places

Can we borrow your roller please.

The difference is you went to see Bernard Manning, you knew what to expect, and indeed paid for the experience. A security guard shouldn't expect to be racially abused whilst doing his job.

He mocked the man over the colour of his skin. I'm not saying that makes him a racist, but it does make him a thick, ignorant twat. Not sure fining people is the way to deal with it. He should have been booed of stage though.

If for example you Went to a Bernard manning gig or Chris rock you except jokes aimed at people's race, colour etc, but it's not what you'd accept at a " "An evening with Gazza"

Take him to court? I think that's well ott but maybe the bouncer doesn't

" an evening with Gazza" who the hell would want to listen To that fool

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    Court case seems over the top, but what a thing to say.

That's the best I've seen Gazza looking for a while though, he should get involved in a court case more often.
    I thought the same, best I've seen him for a few years