+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Do New Ground Builds Neutralise The Modern Game

Do New Ground Builds Neutralise The Modern Game

Caught the tail end of a radio 5 live conversation about new ground builds , and how away teams feel may now feel more comfortable playing in them ,almost having a neutralising effect .

The old dark grounds like the Cold Blow Lane , Potteries , Upton Park, Burden Park and dear old Ninian Park to some extent had a local belonging and atmosphere , some of which were very intimidating , whether it has had a neutralising effect it would be interesting to know .

For example is our recent record at the new build at Rotherham better than the old ground we used to visit I wonder whats our record like at other new builds ?.

Coventry , WHU to name a few , have suffered , it could be the investment has stripped them out , however I do wonder if there is something in this neutralising effect , where visiting teams rock up and play in stadiums that look and feel the same , and the home domination effects at those old grounds are simply lost , replaced by week in week out games at new steel constructions , with no real difference than the seats and ground name , I also wonder if the dressing rooms are like McDonald's , all having a similarity , wherever you go ??.

Re: Do New Ground Builds Neutralise The Modern Game

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Caught the tail end of a radio 5 live conversation about new ground builds , and how away teams feel may now feel more comfortable playing in them ,almost having a neutralising effect .

The old dark grounds like the Cold Blow Lane , Potteries , Upton Park, Burden Park and dear old Ninian Park to some extent had a local belonging and atmosphere , some of which were very intimidating , whether it has had a neutralising effect it would be interesting to know .

For example is our recent record at the new build at Rotherham better than the old ground we used to visit I wonder whats our record like at other new builds ?.

Coventry , WHU to name a few , have suffered , it could be the investment has stripped them out , however I do wonder if there is something in this neutralising effect , where visiting teams rock up and play in stadiums that look and feel the same , and the home domination effects at those old grounds are simply lost , replaced by week in week out games at new steel constructions , with no real difference than the seats and ground name , I also wonder if the dressing rooms are like McDonald's , all having a similarity , wherever you go ??.
    ref the intimidating factor, not sure the grounds are to blame, its just society has made the average football fan move on, now we are happy to sit in our seats eating some " prawn filo parcel " and drinking a " mocha choca latte " while occasionally giving a good move a clap or 2

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    ref the intimidating factor, not sure the grounds are to blame, its just society has made the average football fan move on, now we are happy to sit in our seats eating some " prawn filo parcel " and drinking a " mocha choca latte " while occasionally giving a good move a clap or 2
    you left out the drumming

Life has never been the same since the breeze-block, roofless pissoir at Ninian was demolished. On a cold day, the steam could be seen from the Grange End.

Quote Originally Posted by Taunton Blue Genie View Post
    Life has never been the same since the breeze-block, roofless pissoir at Ninian was demolished. On a cold day, the steam could be seen from the Grange End.
    Yes , but it was nice to cozy up to keep warm , and pee in the open . I miss that type of project where they would erect cabins to drink in that the sides fall down on a windy day, arh the ambiance and misery we once enjoyed .

One of the main reasons behind the intimidation factor is the fact that the younger fans (16 to 30) who generally have more energy and create the atmosphere are being priced out of games at Championship level and above

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    One of the main reasons behind the intimidation factor is the fact that the younger fans (16 to 30) who generally have more energy and create the atmosphere are being priced out of games at Championship level and above
    yes your point is probably a mitigating reason, most fans in the Ninian seem 40 plus

how could i forget but that just about sums up my point, a drum ffs

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    Also, that age group simply have so much more {convenient} choice nowadays, compared to back in my day. I'm beginning to wonder if football will one day become 'old fashioned' among our yoof...

Quote Originally Posted by Arfur Europe View Post
    Also, that age group simply have so much more {convenient} choice nowadays, compared to back in my day. I'm beginning to wonder if football will one day become 'old fashioned' among our yoof...
    Let's be honest, it can be pretty dire fare and hardly the most exciting pastime.