+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Legendary status ex players??

Re: Legendary status ex players??

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Gary Bell played against Madrid, still doing his bit for the club, real gent as well,always has time for a chat. To top it all classy full back
    Have to agree with that.

All of the attributes required.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Definitely not Kav as listed above. he had a great 1st season with us but was often criticised after that for always being negative.

Earnie has to be there , second highest League goalscorer of all time. Whites who has played over 400 games and scored 90+ goals from midfield. Marshall was only second all-time League appearances for a goalkeeper.

We've had lots of players I liked in the last 25 years but people like Scott Young, Jason Perry, Damon Searle, Chris Pike, Carl Dale, Cohen Griffith, Phil Stant from our lower league days. I also liked McNaughton, Alexander, Roger Johnson, Joe Ledley, Chopra and Bothroyd. And Bellamy too.
    I can't understand why Kav is considered 'legendary' material either. He was a pretty good player, and scored that free kick against Leeds of course, but he doesn't stand out to me for his long lasting contribution (I know that he was sold in that firesale...). There are others who are nowhere near as gifted as Kav was, but who deserve recognition way before him, for their overall contribution to the club.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    I'd say that's about right, strange that none of the players that took us up to the premier league are not in it but perfectly understandable as most were just here fir cash anyway and were far from legends. Bellers almost but not really I guess. Whitts loyal but not a legend.
    I don't know how anyone can say that Whittingham is not a club legend. Out of all the players who have played for us he's in the top 10 for both appearances and goals (from midfield), he's been loyal and stayed when he's (reportedly) had the opportunity to move elsewhere, and he's scored some of the best and most important goals that we've seen. Ok, he's got his weaknesses - lack of pace and defensive capability - but if he had those then he wouldn't have been with us in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by The Alien View Post
    Willie Boland.
    Loved that guy. Always gave 100% and covered the ground of 2 men.
    Sorry mate, have to disagree, Willie did give 100% but... ran all over the place like a chicken with his head cut off, I could do that.
    He couldn't tackle,couldn't pass,couldn't head a ball,couldn't score goals,could run around a lot.

I am of the view that the title of "City Legend" should be handed out sparingly based on a record of loyalty, example and achievement. There are some names mentioned previously in this thread that, in my book, don't fit those sort of criteria. It is easy and justifiable to call long serving players like Keenor, Hardy, Dwyer etc "legends" but is it appropriate to call someone a legend as a result of scoring one particular goal e.g. Peter Sayer ? It is a debatable point but not one that I would agree with in his case. Scott Young has a better case than Sayer as someone who scored a famous goal but his case is backed up by a record of loyalty.

I have heard Aaron Ramsey described as a City legend. Irregardless of how proud we might be in producing such a player, someone who only played 20 or so games for us in a short period and whose only real achievement for us was to bring in £4m+ at a time when we desperately needed it does not become a "City Legend" in my view.

As for Whitts I believe that the word "legend" should be applied after someone has finished or left. So, from my point of view, he is not a legend yet but will be when he finishes.

Quote Originally Posted by rs3100 View Post
    I don't know how anyone can say that Whittingham is not a club legend. Out of all the players who have played for us he's in the top 10 for both appearances and goals (from midfield), he's been loyal and stayed when he's (reportedly) had the opportunity to move elsewhere, and he's scored some of the best and most important goals that we've seen. Ok, he's got his weaknesses - lack of pace and defensive capability - but if he had those then he wouldn't have been with us in the first place.
    IMO, Whitts is definitely a legend in the making. I just didn't include him because he's not an ex-player.