+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Double jeopardy rule

Double jeopardy rule

I thought that was changed this season, so if you gave a penalty they only got a yellow card instead of double punishment?

Re: Double jeopardy rule

Only if he had attempted to play the ball. As there was clearly no attempt it's still a red card.

The only red card in a penalty decision is for dangerous play which this was not. Any other foul in the box is a yellow card, but if a foul is committed outside the box when the the attacker is going for goal is a red card

Here's the rule change.

The law has now been changed so players committing accidental fouls that deny goal-scoring opportunities in the penalty area will not be automatically sent off, with a yellow card sufficient punishment.

As the amendment states: "When a denial of a goalscoring opportunity offence is committed by a defender in the penalty area, the penalty kick effectively restores the goalscoring opportunity so the punishment for the player should be less strong (e.g. a yellow card) than when the offence is committed outside the penalty area. However, when the offence is handball or clearly not a genuine attempt to play or challenge for the ball, the player will be sent off."

I think he was sent off because of the bit I've highlighted in bold.