+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The morning after the night before

The morning after the night before

And it still looks a sorry, sorry, self inflicted mess.

It's a struggle to support, sing or, for those that do, even boo City these days. The only noise around the ground comes from the half-time entertainment guy who is way too loud and ruined 50 first half minutes of quality sleep for me.

What exactly are Trollope and Lawrence doing? Their football seems to be based around being passive and showing little aggression for 70 minutes and then chucking on the only pace we seem to have in Khadeem Harris and hope for the best, the last two games to try and rescue a result.

What is this much hearalded performance coach about? Trumpeted in the summer as possibly City's best signing but I am watching several players all over the pitch whose performances levels are well down on last season's efforts. I'm watching a side who seem to fall away in the second half time after time and a team who have conceded more than half their goals against in the final 15 minutes. What does that tell us?

It amazes me that, without exception, every City fan has known for over 2 years that the club has needed to bring in a decent striker, add pace and width and a creative midfielder to support and get beyond the forwards.

All so obvious, sheer incompetence we haven't done it at all other than a punt on Lambert who, not surprisingly, has now pulled up because we just asked a 34 yr old who has barely played in months to put in 5 lots of 90 minutes in 17 days with little support or service.

The gross mismanagement of this club on and off the pitch starting from when Tan turned us to red in 2012 is staggering. The price is now being paid. Hope we can get out of this but when we can't see the required fight or belief in our players. It is dismal.

I have seen many far worse Cardiff City sides in my life but genuinely struggling to think of any as dull, sterile, passionless and lifeless as this lot.
    Last edited by NigelBlues; 28-09-16 at 06:45.

Re: The morning after the night before

Quote Originally Posted by NigelBlues View Post

It's a struggle to support, sing or, for those that do, even boo City these days. The only noise around the ground comes from the half-time entertainment guy who is way too loud and ruined 50 first half minutes of quality sleep for me.

What exactly are Trollope and Lawrence doing? Their football seems to be based around being passive and showing little aggression for 70 minutes and then chucking on the only pace we seem to have in Khadeem Harris and hope for the best, the last two games to try and rescue a result.

What is this much hearalded performance coach about? Trumpeted in the summer as possibly City's best signing but I am watching several players all over the pitch whose performances levels are well down on last season's efforts. I'm watching a side who seem to fall away in the second half time after time and a team who have conceded more than half their goals against in the final 15 minutes. What does that tell us?

It amazes me that, without exception, every City fan has known for over 2 years that the club has needed to bring in a decent striker, add pace and width and a creative midfielder to support and get beyond the forwards.

All so obvious, sheer incompetence we haven't done it at all other than a punt on Lambert who, not surprisingly, has now pulled up because we just asked a 34 yr old who has barely played in months to put in 5 lots of 90 minutes in 17 days with little support or service.

The gross mismanagement of this club on and off the pitch starting from when Tan turned us to red in 2012 is staggering. The price is now being paid. Hope we can get out of this but when we can't see the required fight or belief in our players. It is dismal.

I have seen many far worse Cardiff City sides in my life but genuinely struggling to think of any as dull, sterile, passionless and lifeless as this lot.

There is a template to our home games this season which only Shane Duffy has been able to ruin so far. We start off fairly well and have few problems keeping a clean sheet in the first half, while also, occasionally (make that very occasionally for last night) suggesting someone might become the first City player to score at the stadium this season.

Once half time arrives though, the only hope we have of getting anything from the game is if we manage a 0-0 draw because in two hundred and twenty five minutes of attacking the Canton End we've not done anything to remotely suggest we can score a goal (five games in and the punters at that end still haven't seen a goal for either team!). These hopes prove groundless because the away team (even Blackburn) always win the second half by scoring, usually somewhere around the hour mark, and then, more often than not, we give them a penalty to let them double their lead.

The best illustration of how bad things have got was when Connolly was sent off - there was hardly any reaction to the decision from the home fans. I suppose he has to say these things, but Paul Trollope has praised City fans after in his post match press conferences after our last two home defeats, but I think he's deluding himself because we're a feeble shadow of our former selves these days.

Once there would have been so much anger coming from the fans in a game like last night - anger at the ref because of the penalty award and subsequent red card yes, but, moreso, anger at the players and management (both on and off the field) responsible for serving up the dross we've had to watch at Cardiff City Stadium this season.

That anger would have been much more preferable to the sense of resignation and quiet acceptance we get nowadays because it would have shown that we still cared. There are plenty who have stopped caring who no longer bother going to games, but I would argue that there are as many, or probably more, who still go purely out of habit - I'm not having a go at anyone here, because I'm as guilty as anyone. Iv'e been worn down by, first, the rebrand and, second, the atrocious way the club has performed on and off the field since we were relegated.

If you were to ask me why I still go to games, i couldn't answer you - what I could tell you is that I never head to a first team game these days with the sense of expectation that I use to. I know I'm not going to see anything from my team to make me feel proud to support them and I don't get any enjoyment from the football when I watch the first team play anymore - if I no longer enjoyed a television programme I'd been into for years, I'd stop watching it, if I found myself just skimming through a magazine I use to read from cover to cover, I'd stop buying it and I think I'm getting close to that stage with the first team.

Luckily, there are three Academy/Development team home matches (and a Wales home game) to be watched before the first team play down here again. I get far more enjoyment from such matches now than I do from watching the seniors, because you usually get some entertainment with the kids and young pros - all of the off field crap doesn't seem as important either.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 28-09-16 at 07:43.

I feel exactly the same, the journey home to Southampton was long last night, yes road works didn't help but such trivial matters as that would not have bothered me in the least in the past as the enjoyment of watching us would have compensated. Trouble is though it's not enjoyment at the moment.

What the hell was the point in signing Emyr Huws?

its literally the last position we need strengthening in, especially as cash was at a premium
    Last edited by Kitman; 28-09-16 at 08:21.

Quote Originally Posted by NigelBlues View Post

Funny, I was thinking the support was actually pretty good considering the ineptness of what we were all watching. There was inevitably booing at the end but I thought the Canton, whilst not particularly loud due to numbers, kept going pretty well even after we went behind.

Couldn't agree more with the sentiments of NB and TOBW; every match at CCS is a chore, a bore, and I only go as its so deep into my veins that its difficult not to but once I stop, only a team playing with pace and goals like they did eg under Jones would get me back.

Dreading watching Bristol & Sheff Wed batter us.

Quote Originally Posted by Cretin Hop View Post
    Couldn't agree more with the sentiments of NB and TOBW; every match at CCS is a chore, a bore, and I only go as its so deep into my veins that its difficult not to but once I stop, only a team playing with pace and goals like they did eg under Jones would get me back.

Dreading watching Bristol & Sheff Wed batter us.
    Six a side

I think most fans just like the players have simply gave up . VT must be laughing "they wanted their blue shirts"

Quote Originally Posted by Kitman View Post
    What the hell was the point in signing Emyr Huws?

its literally the last position we need strengthening in, especially as cash was at a premium
    You think the last position we need strengthening in is midfield?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

There is a template to our home games this season which only Shane Duffy has been able to ruin so far. We start off fairly well and have few problems keeping a clean sheet in the first half, while also, occasionally (make that very occasionally for last night) suggesting someone might become the first City player to score at the stadium this season.

Once half time arrives though, the only hope we have of getting anything from the game is if we manage a 0-0 draw because in two hundred and twenty five minutes of attacking the Canton End we've not done anything to remotely suggest we can score a goal (five games in and the punters at that end still haven't seen a goal for either team!). These hopes prove groundless because the away team (even Blackburn) always win the second half by scoring, usually somewhere around the hour mark, and then, more often than not, we give them a penalty to let them double their lead.

The best illustration of how bad things have got was when Connolly was sent off - there was hardly any reaction to the decision from the home fans. I suppose he has to say these things, but Paul Trollope has praised City fans after in his post match press conferences after our last two home defeats, but I think he's deluding himself because we're a feeble shadow of our former selves these days.

Once there would have been so much anger coming from the fans in a game like last night - anger at the ref because of the penalty award and subsequent red card yes, but, moreso, anger at the players and management (both on and off the field) responsible for serving up the dross we've had to watch at Cardiff City Stadium this season.

That anger would have been much more preferable to the sense of resignation and quiet acceptance we get nowadays because it would have shown that we still cared. There are plenty who have stopped caring who no longer bother going to games, but I would argue that there are as many, or probably more, who still go purely out of habit - I'm not having a go at anyone here, because I'm as guilty as anyone. Iv'e been worn down by, first, the rebrand and, second, the atrocious way the club has performed on and off the field since we were relegated.

If you were to ask me why I still go to games, i couldn't answer you - what I could tell you is that I never head to a first team game these days with the sense of expectation that I use to. I know I'm not going to see anything from my team to make me feel proud to support them and I don't get any enjoyment from the football when I watch the first team play anymore - if I no longer enjoyed a television programme I'd been into for years, I'd stop watching it, if I found myself just skimming through a magazine I use to read from cover to cover, I'd stop buying it and I think I'm getting close to that stage with the first team.

Luckily, there are three Academy/Development team home matches (and a Wales home game) to be watched before the first team play down here again. I get far more enjoyment from such matches now than I do from watching the seniors, because you usually get some entertainment with the kids and young pros - all of the off field crap doesn't seem as important either.
    Wow Paul. Couldn't have put it better. I get quite animated at the games actually, but it does my blood pressure no good as it is animated anger at a timid bunch of almost static, passionless, void of skill players and clueless managers. If I saw Joe Ralls or Ken Zahore in Costco, ASDA or anywhere outside of the Stadium, I would rip them to bits for impersonating a footballer. Patience in the whole shebang is wearing thin.
    Spedger

I'm at the stage where I'm considering writing off my season ticket as a bad debt. I may attend the occasional game (eg Burton) but may put the money I'd spend on petrol, food, etc to something more enjoyable and entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by PontBlue View Post
    I'm at the stage where I'm considering writing off my season ticket as a bad debt. I may attend the occasional game (eg Burton) but may put the money I'd spend on petrol, food, etc to something more enjoyable and entertaining.

I have never walked out of so many games.

Just no heart or fight in the players.