+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Dave Jones

Dave Jones

Seeing as he wasn't so bad after all would you have him back in this dire situation we find ourselves in?

Re: Dave Jones

Yes please.

I'd even have Bothroyd and Chopra back.

Only if he brings Terry Burton with him

Can we have Gareth Bale back as well?

As much as I want Trollope sacked and want Lennie gone with him I think Dave Jones being appointed in any capacity at the club would be a disaster.

We need a short term fix - Jones isnt the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Igovernor View Post
    Only if he brings Terry Burton with him

I've missed the "spy in the camp" best source of rumours in the last 10 years.

Blue in the Face

No to DJ from me.

no thanks for me

was it the middlesbrough game that not one player turned up ( was chopra out of the lash with some other players the night before ) that game just shows the bad times for what they were and how much Davey had lost the dressing room

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    no thanks for me

was it the middlesbrough game that not one player turned up ( was chopra out of the lash with some other players the night before ) that game just shows the bad times for what they were and how much Davey had lost the dressing room
    He might have lost the dressing room but he never lost the golf course

Not really a fan of going back (Lennie), but it would just be nice to have a manager who thinks about attacking. We've had about 4 years now of defensive football. Can't the club just look for a manager out there who's teams go for it?

There are loads of managers out there but the club will not pay the money for a biggish name besides do we really have a team good enough to attract a top man.

Quote Originally Posted by valley boy View Post
    There are loads of managers out there but the club will not pay the money for a biggish name besides do we really have a team good enough to attract a top man.
    Rotherham got Warnock last season.

All we need this season is 4th from bottom.

That doesnt look possible with Trollope and the longer our board allow the defeats to pile up the harder the job will be to stay up.

I think Dave Jones would take us down as well though.

At the moment Dave Jones would be useless as he'd have no money to spend. Under Ridsdale the club's policy was mainly to spend money on high wages and pay little in transfer fees; the notion we did well on a shoestring is not really accurate, a look at the debt we accrued under the Ridler shows that we were happy to spend our way towards promotion. I bet our best players weren't playing on mediocre wages.

Yes for me, we played our best football under jones

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    At the moment Dave Jones would be useless as he'd have no money to spend. Under Ridsdale the club's policy was mainly to spend money on high wages and pay little in transfer fees; the notion we did well on a shoestring is not really accurate, a look at the debt we accrued under the Ridler shows that we were happy to spend our way towards promotion. I bet our best players weren't playing on mediocre wages.
    That’s not necessarily the whole truth.

During Dave Jones time here wages were always within the top 7 of the divisions table, but where never in the top 3. It quite right to say that Jones policy was to run a higher wage bill, over paying top fees, the policy was to overspend on wages to the tune of £5 million and then sell a player for that amount every season.

I think it’s safe to say that we were not running on a shoestring. You also had at that time players coming through (to be sold) and players bought to be sold at a profit at a later date.

Since Jones has left the wage bill has risen (2nd highest wages in the league under MM in the promotion year, even including clubs with parachute payments). You would say that the wage bill today is still massive compared to Jones time, but at this point we have no players to sell, the path to the first team for young players is more difficult, and we are not seeing any development.

I wouldn’t take Jones back at the moment, because I think that ship has sailed, the future needs to be a new manger and a new system, to work with what we have. I can’t agree with the fact that Jones spent his way to promotion, if anything our wage bill was in line with the positions we achieved in the leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    That’s not necessarily the whole truth.

During Dave Jones time here wages were always within the top 7 of the divisions table, but where never in the top 3. It quite right to say that Jones policy was to run a higher wage bill, over paying top fees, the policy was to overspend on wages to the tune of £5 million and then sell a player for that amount every season.

I think it’s safe to say that we were not running on a shoestring. You also had at that time players coming through (to be sold) and players bought to be sold at a profit at a later date.

Since Jones has left the wage bill has risen (2nd highest wages in the league under MM in the promotion year, even including clubs with parachute payments). You would say that the wage bill today is still massive compared to Jones time, but at this point we have no players to sell, the path to the first team for young players is more difficult, and we are not seeing any development.

I wouldn’t take Jones back at the moment, because I think that ship has sailed, the future needs to be a new manger and a new system, to work with what we have. I can’t agree with the fact that Jones spent his way to promotion, if anything our wage bill was in line with the positions we achieved in the leagues.
    He did attract some decent players though and at that time no "names" wanted to come to Cardiff.
    Problem was when we got anywhere near promotion (the playoffs) the loanees stroke short termers went missing.
    In the unlikely event he was to come back, doubt we'll have that problem this season.

Bring back Alan Cork for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Seeing as he wasn't so bad after all would you have him back in this dire situation we find ourselves in?
    Bobby Gould for me.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    I can’t agree with the fact that Jones spent his way to promotion, if anything our wage bill was in line with the positions we achieved in the leagues.
    Of course Jones didn't spend his way to promotion. We didn't win promotion with Jones.

So our wage bill was in line with the positions we achieved. Hardly a ringing endorsement of Jones as a manager who, some reckon had no money to spend and had to sell players for us to survive, yet we know that's bollocks. We sold players to keep up our high wage bill, even then we still lost lots of money.

I don't want Jones back as a manager but I'd be happy to see Jones or someone like him (in terms of football knowledge and experience) on the club Board and on the infamous Recruitment Panel. That is, if Glen Roeder is unavailable.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Dandruff View Post
    Bobby Gould for me.

I always remember watching soccer Saturday getting ready to go down to the game and he was getting interviewed live doing some gardening in his back garden in London