+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Longevity of Championship managers

Longevity of Championship managers

My personal opinion is that Neil Warnock and his team are ideal to bring in to the club as "crisis management" people to avoid relegation and put the team back on a stronger on the field footing. At the age of 67 he is though unlikely to be suitable for (or want) a longer term strategy role.

Having thought this , I decided to have a look at how many of the current 24 Championship club managers (including acting managers for a couple of clubs) have had the chance to put in place anything long term under their tenure. In my view , the results reinforce the view that no manager gets proper time to see through major changes at a club.

The longest serving current manager is Simon Grayson at PNE who has been there 3 years 8 months. Second is Mick McCarthy at Ipswich (2 years 11 months). No other manager has been at a club for over 3 years and only 7 of the 24 (including the above 2) have held the job for over a year.

Arsene Wenger has been in charge at Arsenal for only 1 year short of the total service length of all the Championship managers added together.

Championship management - the revolving door of football management.

Re: Longevity of Championship managers

Quote Originally Posted by Since62 View Post
    My personal opinion is that Neil Warnock and his team are ideal to bring in to the club as "crisis management" people to avoid relegation and put the team back on a stronger on the field footing. At the age of 67 he is though unlikely to be suitable for (or want) a longer term strategy role.

Having thought this , I decided to have a look at how many of the current 24 Championship club managers (including acting managers for a couple of clubs) have had the chance to put in place anything long term under their tenure. In my view , the results reinforce the view that no manager gets proper time to see through major changes at a club.

The longest serving current manager is Simon Grayson at PNE who has been there 3 years 8 months. Second is Mick McCarthy at Ipswich (2 years 11 months). No other manager has been at a club for over 3 years and only 7 of the 24 (including the above 2) have held the job for over a year.

Arsene Wenger has been in charge at Arsenal for only 1 year short of the total service length of all the Championship managers added together.

Championship management - the revolving door of football management.
    Incredible

Re: Longevity of Championship managers

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Incredible

I don`t have the time to look at similar records in other divisions. Also , I can`t be a*sed - a bit like some of our players this season!