+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neil Warnock and Cardiff City, a match made in Heaven?

Neil Warnock and Cardiff City, a match made in Heaven?

Re: Neil Warnock and Cardiff City, a match made in Heaven?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    As usual a good read and summing up of City's manager situation

I'm also worried about a clash of personalities with Warnock and Tan, it could be a short bumpy ride, but I hope not.

I can't remember being more pleased with a new managers appointment

I add the following:

1) Warnock's appointment shows Tan's welcome continued commitment to the club and a reaction to our position after a reasonable period during which to judge Trolls and his team.

2) New signings will be interesting and informative.

3) We are only 12 point outside the play-off places. We can still dream of promotion number eight for The Boss.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    I add the following:

1) Warnock's appointment shows Tan's welcome continued commitment to the club and a reaction to our position after a reasonable period during which to judge Trolls and his team.

2) New signings will be interesting and informative.

3) We are only 12 point outside the play-off places. We can still dream of promotion number eight for The Boss.
    4) Warnock is inheriting a far better squad than he did at Rotherham

Enjoyable and entertaining article. Agree with observations made.

Matters of the embryonic 'Cardiff way' aside for a moment, what has been sorely missing from this club over the last few seasons has been spirit and soul and that undefinable something that fans felt absolutely keen to get behind wholeheartedly. As they previously had. But have not been.

Despite being returned to Blue something that was there before, has been missing since.

I wonder if 'the Warnock way' can help bring that spirit back. We have our backs to the wall, we are looking for the great escape, and we have - at last - passionate, outspoken Manager.

It does also indicate that VT and the board are keen to further the fortunes of the Club.

Things may have just taken a turn for the better.

Warnock needs to do what we know he can do. At least that is not in doubt.
    Players need to respond.

Then things would certainly be looking up.
    Last edited by Vimana.; 05-10-16 at 15:40.

How long before the honeymoon is over?
    3 months with our fans, that's when the knives will be out.

I wish Neil, Keven and Ronnoe the best of luck!

Pretty much agree with everything you've said in your article. I think the biggest problem facing Warnock is the complete lack of 'scope' in the squad he inherits.
    I was pondering this afternoon as I ventured west, that apart from City not managing to score a home goal this season, I actually cannot recall any away goalkeeper being forced to make a meaningful save. That's a damning indictment on not just the pedestrian way City play, which is completely out of kilter with 91 other league clubs, but also that we don't possess -apart Harris - a single player who can beat a man, go past a man, run into space, etc, etc.
    Goalscoring isn't the problem, creating openings/chances is. Until the January window opens and Warnock can use his contacts etc to improve the squad, he'll do well to move us a couple of places up the table...

Quote Originally Posted by A Quiet Monkfish View Post
    Pretty much agree with everything you've said in your article. I think the biggest problem facing Warnock is the complete lack of 'scope' in the squad he inherits.
    I was pondering this afternoon as I ventured west, that apart from City not managing to score a home goal this season, I actually cannot recall any away goalkeeper being forced to make a meaningful save. That's a damning indictment on not just the pedestrian way City play, which is completely out of kilter with 91 other league clubs, but also that we don't possess -apart Harris - a single player who can beat a man, go past a man, run into space, etc, etc.
    Goalscoring isn't the problem, creating openings/chances is. Until the January window opens and Warnock can use his contacts etc to improve the squad, he'll do well to move us a couple of places up the table...
    I know we have been very slow and pedestrian in most matches so far - apart from Kadeem Harris - but I think there is more pace in the squad if Warnock can unlock it. Declan John and Craig Noone can shift when they want to. Joe Bennett is supposed to be fast. Even Kenneth Zohore was pretty rapid last year when he signed on loan - although he has looked slow and hopeless so far this season.

If Warnock can either organise the side and instil the confidence to get more pace into the play - or else get the team playing further up the pitch and support Lambert more - we should have the ability to score goals. A lot of posters (and Nathan Blake) have made the point that Trollope hasn't used the wingers on their right side of the pitch to get to the bye line and deliver crosses. They are usually on the wrong side and on their wrong foot - so cut inside into traffic all the time.

Then in January any signings (or earlier if the club can get a free or two) should focus on pace.

Thank Paul nice read and summary , I am okay with his arrival , think it does prove Tan is in for the immediate future ,if he wanted us gone it would have so easy to do nothing .

I don't think we need many signings , we just need the ones w have to play with freedom , confidence and commitment , I hope he makes Gunnerson captain as part of his shake up , and play Harris and Manga . hasn't Kennedy got pace as well ?

Quote Originally Posted by ninianclark View Post
    Warnock will be the new Eddie May, the fans will love him, he'll love them, he'll do the fist pumps and the ayotollah etc for the 'purists'.

I dont think Warnock is back hander / offshore account holder type of manager - unlike one or maybe 2 others at the club.

He doesnt need the money at his age - he enjoys the buzz of it all, he'll love te challenge and the ride and I think so will the rest of us.

The season starts now.
    Essential that he does the latter or he will be an instant hate figure.

👍

I don't see Warnock as a Cardiff City manager. Bit like Slade with a bit more hair and a bigger gob.

Not fussed on the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Wright View Post
    I don't see Warnock as a Cardiff City manager. Bit like Slade with a bit more hair and a bigger gob.

Not fussed on the guy.
    In what way is Warnock like Slade? As far as managers go I would say they are about as far apart as you can possibly get.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    In what way is Warnock like Slade? As far as managers go I would say they are about as far apart as you can possibly get.
    ^^^^this

He and City are a perfect match for one another.

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    Thank Paul nice read and summary , I am okay with his arrival , think it does prove Tan is in for the immediate future ,if he wanted us gone it would have so easy to do nothing .

I don't think we need many signings , we just need the ones w have to play with freedom , confidence and commitment , I hope he makes Gunnerson captain as part of his shake up , and play Harris and Manga . hasn't Kennedy got pace as well ?

Noooooooo!

Quote Originally Posted by Vimana. View Post
    Enjoyable and entertaining article. Agree with observations made.

Matters of the embryonic 'Cardiff way' aside for a moment, what has been sorely missing from this club over the last few seasons has been spirit and soul and that undefinable something that fans felt absolutely keen to get behind wholeheartedly. As they previously had. But have not been.

Despite being returned to Blue something that was there before, has been missing since.

I wonder if 'the Warnock way' can help bring that spirit back. We have our backs to the wall, we are looking for the great escape, and we have - at last - passionate, outspoken Manager.

It does also indicate that VT and the board are keen to further the fortunes of the Club.

Things may have just taken a turn for the better.

Warnock needs to do what we know he can do. At least that is not in doubt.
    Players need to respond.

Then things would certainly be looking up.
    I agree. I was saying this to my mate yesterday. The current apathy is frightening, and if Warnock can do something to reignite our fighting spirit it will be job done for now

Well said. An excellent piece. The best we can hope for at this stage is survival and any thoughts about the so called "Cardiff Way" are on hold for the foreseeable future. The Board have taken decisive action in order to stop the rot and, in the absence of any possibility of new players (with the exception of those out of contract), only an experienced manager with a track record is likely to bring about any improvement. If Warnock fails the future of the club will be in serious jeapardy. Now is the time to get behind the club and not walk away as so many have.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shitpeas View Post
    Old fashioned english manager. Stop gap. Not longterm or innovative. Cant disagree with that, surely?

Old fashioned english manager. Stop gap. Not longterm or innovative. Cant disagree with that, surely?
    Well one has got seven promotions out of this division to his name and the other has never got a team promoted at any level in a twenty years plus managerial career for a start.

One thing Warnock does well is he backs his players to the hilt ( anybody that defends Claude Davis after his karate assault on Roger Johnson a few seasons back deserves a medal😊) so if he can instil his confidence into the players we'll go somewhere.

Well one has got seven promotions out of this division to his name and the other has never got a team promoted at any level in a twenty years plus managerial career for a start.
    IF he gets us promoted , he'll be gone before the end of the season. In that sense, he is a good fit for any struggling championship side, nothing special about fitting in with Cardiff.

I would even go as far as to say that this sort of appointment is exactly what's wrong with the club since (and possibly before) Emperor Tan arrived, namely, the quick fix. Signing Warnock is a way to bypass and put off careful thought and planning. We are ****ed and Warnock will fix it, so I'm not completely let down by the appointment. That said, it doesn't fill me with excitement and optimism.

IF he gets us promoted , he'll be gone before the end of the season. In that sense, he is a good fit for any struggling championship side, nothing special about fitting in with Cardiff.

I would even go as far as to say that this sort of appointment is exactly what's wrong with the club since (and possibly before) Emperor Tan arrived, namely, the quick fix. Signing Warnock is a way to bypass and put off careful thought and planning. We are ****ed and Warnock will fix it, so I'm not completely let down by the appointment. That said, it doesn't fill me with excitement and optimism.
    We tried long term and innovative though and it failed spectacularly. I can see where you are coming from and, speaking as someone who thinks Craig Bellamy would be the sort of bold pick as manager who would be motivated to try and tackle the sort of things you talk about, I hope that Warnock's appointment doesn't mean that important issues such as why isn't our Academy producing first team players and why do we never seem to be able to sign players who can be sold as a profit are not swept to one side.

However, going back to the original point, even if his appointment here doesn't work out, Neil Warnock is a big step up in managerial class from Russell Slade.

We tried long term and innovative though and it failed spectacularly. I can see where you are coming from and, speaking as someone who thinks Craig Bellamy would be the sort of bold pick as manager who would be motivated to try and tackle the sort of things you talk about, I hope that Warnock's appointment doesn't mean that important issues such as why isn't our Academy producing first team players and why do we never seem to be able to sign players who can be sold as a profit are not swept to one side.

However, going back to the original point, even if his appointment here doesn't work out, Neil Warnock is a big step up in managerial class from Russell Slade.
    How can long term and innovative fail so spectacularly in such a short time? We don't know if Trollope could have turned it around, like Mackay would have kept us in the Premier League if he hadn't been sacked (according to some)..

Quote Originally Posted by Cleve van Leef View Post
    How can long term and innovative fail so spectacularly in such a short time? We don't know if Trollope could have turned it around, like Mackay would have kept us in the Premier League if he hadn't been sacked (according to some)..
    Trollope was a youngish manager with little experience who was drafted in after Slade failed to make the grade. I don't see anything innovative or thought-through about that.

I suppose what Im getting at is that I have zero faith in the board. Neither on a financial nor footballing level....and them drafting Warnock to get them out of a hole doesn't change my global opinion of the club.