+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Ched Evans - Updated NOT GUILTY

Re: Ched Evans - Updated NOT GUILTY

Quote Originally Posted by Elysium View Post
    That didn't take the jury long. It must have been fairly clear cut this time around.
    The onus is on the prosecution to prove beyond reasonable doubt that he was guilty. Clearly they couldn't and to be honest, none of us will ever be really sure if he was guilty or innocent. On that basis, you have to aquit

Quote Originally Posted by bobh View Post
    I guess now Ched will sue for compo for the time previously served.
    Let's hope he sues Ennis who put a stop to his return at Sheffield Utd

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Let's hope he sues Ennis who put a stop to his return at Sheffield Utd
    Just rename the stand in her name to "the ched Evans stand"

CHED FOR WALES !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Top tip : If found guilty of rape, put up a reward for evidence, get some new witnesses ( including your half brother who was at the window yet didn't testify at the original trial ). Whatever you do, don't call the only other person in the room in your defence.

Staggering.
    You'd have to have the high court judges taking bribes if it were that simple.

Sue everyone.

No different to stories you hear up and down the UK from drunken stupid nights out? Maybe. Edit - Actually I agree with this: "Clearly they couldn't and to be honest, none of us will ever be really sure if he was guilty or innocent. On that basis, you have to aquit" I dont know the ins and outs so I cannot comment.

The loss of earnings must be HUGE.

How do you put a figure on a young player with potential?. He could have moved on to much bigger contracts.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlue View Post
    You'd have to have the high court judges taking bribes if it were that simple.
    Bit of a difference tho, they only need to determine if there's a chance new evidence could affect the original decision or needed to be heard.

Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth given the new evidence was all about throwing dirt at the woman to damage reputation rather than dealing with the events of the night.

I think the police have a lot to answer for, they constructed this shambles from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by TH63 View Post
    The onus is on the prosecution to prove beyond reasonable doubt that he was guilty. Clearly they couldn't and to be honest, none of us will ever be really sure if he was guilty or innocent. On that basis, you have to aquit
    ^^This^^
    The judge's summing up said it all... "prove he is not guilty"

Bit of a difference tho, they only need to determine if there's a chance new evidence could affect the original decision or needed to be heard.

Just leaves a bad taste in my mouth given the new evidence was all about throwing dirt at the woman to damage reputation rather than dealing with the events of the night.
    Agree with this.
    Her past and future sex life has no bearing on what happened in that room that night. Only 3 people really know.
    All in all an ugly case that may have repercussions on future rape cases.

Top tip : If found guilty of rape, put up a reward for evidence, get some new witnesses ( including your half brother who was at the window yet didn't testify at the original trial ). Whatever you do, don't call the only other person in the room in your defence.

Staggering.
    Have you seen all of the evidence produced during this trial?

If not then I don't see how you can make this comment

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Agree with this.
    Her past and future sex life has no bearing on what happened in that room that night. Only 3 people really know.
    Vey true and your man in the street is bang to rights and serving full term.
    Throw money at the system and it is full of holes.

Seen enough. Seen Ched condradict himself quite a bit.

Question is, will those new witnesses get the 50k reward now? If not, could be interesting if they then sued for breach of contract.

I believe the original jury.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Agree with this.
    Now we can be told that the appeal was allowed after judges let two of her former partners give explicit evidence in court. This doesn't seem right to me.

Seen enough. Seen Ched condradict himself quite a bit.

Question is, will those new witnesses get the 50k reward now? If not, could be interesting if they then sued for breach of contract.
    So you made your decision based on media reports, clearly accurate, don't miss anything out and not prone to sensationalism.

based on comments reported by the media, both of those witnesses have said no they would not be receiving any reward
    money

Quote Originally Posted by neilw65 View Post
    Have you seen all of the evidence produced during this trial?

If not then I don't see how you can make this comment
    Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Vey true and your man in the street is bang to rights and serving full term.
    Throw money at the system and it is full of holes.
    Unfortunately you need money to carry out a full investigation. If you have to rely on state aid, which most of us would, the defence investigation often doesn't dig deep enough to uncover other details or witnesses

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    The ones who got it wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
    I think the police have a lot to answer for, they constructed this shambles from the beginning.
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie Andy View Post
    I know. The new jury only took 2 hours to find him not guilty, so they mustn't have thought about it for long enough

The man is proven innocent. Common sense and justice prevails.

Thank God for this verdict. I hope Leanne Wood and Carwyn Jones apologise to Ched as they were very scathing about him on a BBC debate last year.

I say this as a member of Plaid; I've fallen out with quite a few members whose knee-jerk reaction to Cheds's desire to resume his footballing career (prior to his acquittal) showed me what "progressive" actually means - a progression towards a white-male hating dystopia populated by smug, self-serving, self-appointed élites.

Quote Originally Posted by neilw65 View Post
    So you made your decision based on media reports, clearly accurate, don't miss anything out and not prone to sensationalism.

based on comments reported by the media, both of those witnesses have said no they would not be receiving any reward
    money
    Hate to break it to you, but neither are going to say "yes, we want the money" are they?

Did Ched's half brother, at the window, who failed to testify in the original trial now testify in this one?
    Did the other man in the room not testify - someone who could have definitively cleared Ched?
    Was money offered by the Evans clan in exchange for evidence?

The problem is rape is always difficult to prove. That means a lot of rapists get away with it.

I go back to a woman's house - both of us slightly drunk. She falls asleep. I rape her. No force used ( as in leaving marks ).
    Her word against mine.
    Goes to court.
    I claim she slept with X, Y and Z before and after the night in question. Other people say she slept with X, Y and Z.

Odds would definitely be in my favour of acquital.

I agree with the general sentiment of not wanting one innocent person convicted but the balance is so far skewed it's a serious problem. It generally boils down to one person's word against another - and is even more complex when alcohol is involved. The level of proof required in these cases is simply too high to be achievable in the vast majority of cases.

A woman has to prove she could not have consented. How on earth is that possible? Have video cameras in the room? What does it tell women who have been raped?

EDIT: So what is the solution? I'm wondering if for cases like this adopting the Scottish verdict of "Not Proven", a half way house between guilty / not guilty is the way forward.

http://ukcriminallawblog.com/ched-ev...uilty-of-rape/

An explanation of the acquittal.

The descriptions of the sex with the girls other sexual partners were very similar in specific details to details that Evans had given. Details he probably would only have known if she was sober enough to have effectively given consent.

That's easily manipulated though. You get new witness to say the same terms you're going to claim were used.

How precisely did these new witnesses know it was the same woman without being told the identity of the anonymous alleged victim?