+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: FT: Austria 2 - 2 Wales.

FT: Austria 2 - 2 Wales.

TEAM NEWS

Wales will be without Aaron Ramsey once again as the Arsenal midfielder recovers from a hamstring injury.

That means Chris Coleman's men could be unchanged from their opening 4-0 win over Moldova, with Leicester's Andy King continuing in Ramsey's absence.

The only other injuries are to squad men, goalkeeper Danny Ward, striker Simon Church and midfielder Jonny Williams.

Austria could replace injured Martin Harnik with winger Marcel Sabitzer.

That would be the one enforced change following their 2-1 win in Georgia.

MATCH PREVIEW

Captain Ashley Williams hopes Wales' travelling fans will prove the difference in their World Cup qualifier in Austria on Thursday.

Top seeds Wales are currently top of Group D but face potentially their toughest game of the campaign as they take on second seeds Austria.

More than 4,000 Welsh fans are expected in Vienna.

"Hopefully they come in numbers and drive us on again," said Williams.

"I've always said the travelling fans are brilliant. We saw that at the Euros throughout - it was unbelievable. At times when you need a lift, they gave it to us.

"I think they know how much we appreciate them so hopefully they can stick with us and keep pushing us on."

Wales' players dubbed their fans the 'Red Wall' during their run to the last four of Euro 2016.

That was their first appearance at a major tournament semi-final, and Chris Coleman's side started their 2018 World Cup qualifying campaign with a flourish as they beat Moldova 4-0 in their opening game.

Austria did not fare so well in France. Despite an impressive qualifying campaign in which they won nine and drew one of their 10 games, Marcel Koller's men were knocked out in the group stage.

However, Austria started this campaign with a 2-1 win in Georgia and are expected to be one of Wales' chief challengers for top spot in Group D.

"If you want to qualify you have to pick up points in difficult places," said Williams.

"We'll be looking to take something back with us. If not a win, we'll want a point and make sure we don't get beaten."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Wales and Austria have played each other eight times, with Austria winning eight times, Wales twice and one draw
    Wales manager Chris Coleman played the only draw between the countries, coming off the bench to make his international debut to score in the 1-1 finish in 1992
    Wales are currently 10th in the Fifa world rankings, 16 places above Austria

Austria

• Austria's David Alaba scored three penalties during their Euro 2016 qualifying campaign
    • Austria have won their last 10 games in qualifying tournaments, taking in the 2014 World Cup qualifiers and Euro 2016 qualifiers
    • Austria did the double over Wales twice in four days during the 2006 World Cup qualifiers, beating teams that included Ryan Giggs and Craig Bellamy, both games being played in March, 2005

Wales

• Gareth Bale is closing on on Ian Rush's Wales scoring record. Bale has 24 goals in 62 games while Rush had 28 to his name
    • Wales have lost all three of their games while playing in their current grey away strip
    • Wales had John Charles, Ivor Allchurch, Cliff Jones, Jack Kelsey and Trevor Ford in the line-up the first time they faced Austria, losing 2-0 away on 9 May, 1954

MOST RECENT MEETING

Wales 2-1 Austria (6 February, 2013)

This was only Wales' second win in five games under manager Chris Coleman as Gareth Bale scored the opener and sent in the cross that gave Sam Vokes the chance to head the winner.

Re: Austria v Wales. Matchday thread

Buzzing for this, only look forward to internationals these days.

I suspect we will be unchanged from the Moldova game.
    Vokes Bale

King

Taylor.......Ledley Allen.......Gunter

Davies Williams Chester

Hennessey

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post

Vokes Bale

King

Davies Williams Chester

Hennessey
    That'll be the starting line-up. Only questions are do we push Joe Allen further forward to add a bit of creativity to our attack? And, as Austria have some big lumps in their team, should we be playing James Collins instead of Chester?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post

Vokes Bale

King

Davies Williams Chester

Hennessey
    Expect the same line-up, although could see Ward move above Hennessey if things stay the same at club level for them two. We have a chance and Austria were slow getting going in their opening game. But will take a draw.

Nice to be excited about a football match for a change.

David Alaba and £1 shop Zlatan - Arnautovic.

Are pretty worrying.

Not that a loss is the end of the world really.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabalphaville View Post
    That'll be the starting line-up. Only questions are do we push Joe Allen further forward to add a bit of creativity to our attack? And, as Austria have some big lumps in their team, should we be playing James Collins instead of Chester?
    I think Joe Allen's deep lying position is his best, though he's proved for Stoke he can play further forward. Don't think King would have the same effect so Allen in same position for me until Emyr Huws kicks on and Ramsey and J Williams are out (again).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37564536

Some of the comments are embarrassing.

"Wales were lucky, but that is football".

What do they base that on?!.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Wales and Austria have played each other eight times, with Austria winning eight times, Wales twice and one draw

I think we have enough there to get a result. Here's hoping!

I would definitely take a draw Zenith

Quote Originally Posted by Pearcey3 View Post
    I would definitely take a draw Zenith
    Me too

What an incredible save!

Best I've seen in a while!

That save from Bale's header was world class.

What a goal

Joe ****ing Allen!!!!!!!!

WHOA!!!!

****ing beautiful....

Lucky Wales again

Re: Latest: Austria 0 - 1 Wales.