+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Accident help

Car Accident help

I got out to my car this morning to find a rather bad dent and scratching up my car. I didnt witness it, or hear anything and there was no note or person reporting the claim. I thought there was nothing i could do about it rather than claim through my insurance and lose my excess and no claims.

My neighbours are now telling me that they saw a Asda delivery van hit the car before shooting off down a side street.

Where do i stand with this, am i in a better position because its a big firm. I've rung the delivery shop and they claim that no one has reported anything (i didnt expect that, because he has done a runner and hoped to get away with it). However there must be damage to the van as its done so much to mine.

Re: Car Accident help

I would hate that if it happened to me...sorry to hear your news.

Asda will have a route planner for their vans, get the rough time your neighbours saw it, ask Asda to check to see if they had someone in the area at that time. Tell them you have witnesses who saw the hit and run and you want the vehicle details before you instruct your solicitor..........think with a little bit of detective work you will have them over a barrel

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Nicerino View Post
    I would hate that if it happened to me...sorry to hear your news.

Asda will have a route planner for their vans, get the rough time your neighbours saw it, ask Asda to check to see if they had someone in the area at that time. Tell them you have witnesses who saw the hit and run and you want the vehicle details before you instruct your solicitor..........think with a little bit of detective work you will have them over a barrel

good luck
    I think i have found the recipient of said delivery, and could have cctv of the van arriving there.

It down to whether they deny the incident took place really. Could try to hit them with a bit of social media bad publicity.

Its annoying that people don't have the courtesy to stop and report, ASDA would have the insurance to cover this, but i suppose the driver is worried about his job.

It's should have tracker fitted to it
    Same thing happened to me but it was a Hermes delivery van, I didn't see it but luckily my neighbour caught him, he put a false contact number on my windscreen thankfully my neighbour took a photo of his van and registration

he could just deny he hit you ? ? / you can have CCTV and a tracker report ( both covered under the data protection act ) , unless you can specifically see the van making contact, its a no-go

a car reversed into my mrs T5 ( she was gutted about it ) in sainsburys car park, the car pulled away and parked elsewhere ( my mrs didnt see it but someone else did ) when the mrs returned, she took pics of the other car ( with the silver paint on ) it took a few weeks for the police to get the CCTV, it showed the car reversing into the space, pulling away and parking else where, But by all accounts you couldnt see the impact, despite the paint on the car, the CCTV, the lady would not admit it to the police, they couldnt do anything

I know it was ultimately a waste of police time, but imho the lady needed to be taught that it is not acceptable to " hit and run ", in the end she won i guess

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    I think i have found the recipient of said delivery, and could have cctv of the van arriving there.

It down to whether they deny the incident took place really. Could try to hit them with a bit of social media bad publicity.

Its annoying that people don't have the courtesy to stop and report, ASDA would have the insurance to cover this, but i suppose the driver is worried about his job.
    But surely if your neighbours saw it you just have to tell ASDA you have witnesses?

Update: today ASDA are coming to my house to look at and take photos of the damage, im not sure why this is for, whether its a case of matching the damage to the 2 vehicles, or whether to build a case to fight the claim, or whether its good news that they havent flatly denied the happening.

I have witnesses, but i dont have CCTV evidence of the accident taking place.

I might get a little nastier with them today and talk about the possibility of talking to the police with regards to their driver leaving the scene of the accident and say i'll let the police talk to my witnesses, access your tracking log and look at the damage to both vehicles, also talk about legal action.

Ideally they will play nice and just let this go through their insurance.

Update: today ASDA are coming to my house to look at and take photos of the damage, im not sure why this is for, whether its a case of matching the damage to the 2 vehicles, or whether to build a case to fight the claim, or whether its good news that they havent flatly denied the happening.

I have witnesses, but i dont have CCTV evidence of the accident taking place.

I might get a little nastier with them today and talk about the possibility of talking to the police with regards to their driver leaving the scene of the accident and say i'll let the police talk to my witnesses, access your tracking log and look at the damage to both vehicles, also talk about legal action.

Ideally they will play nice and just let this go through their insurance.
    Little bit of advice - report it to the police.

That way you'll have an official record of it, incident number etc. - your insurance will probably expect this from you anyway, but don't assume that because it's a big company like Asda that they'll play nice.

I made the same mistake once before and got shafted. Never again - now any little bump and the police get called.

Never underestimate people's ability to act like c unts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Lecter View Post
    Little bit of advice - report it to the police.

That way you'll have an official record of it, incident number etc. - your insurance will probably expect this from you anyway, but don't assume that because it's a big company like Asda that they'll play nice.

I made the same mistake once before and got shafted. Never again - now any little bump and the police get called.

Never underestimate people's ability to act like c unts.
    Thanks that is good advice, im going to do this now.

I think im going to see what the meeting happens today. I think that they are starting to play tricks already. Then ring my insurance and tell them what is going on. If my insurance can sort it great, if they cant im in the same position of having to sort it myself anyway.

I think i would be happier if it was an uninsured driver, but because its a big company i expect them to take it on the chin.

Years ago I was waiting at some lights and a bus was coming from the opposite direction to go passed me. I could see that there wasn't enough room and thought he would wait til the lights changed, I could then move, and he could get passed. But no, he decided he could squeeze down the side, his wheel nuts made a nice rotational pattern of rips in my front wing, front door, and rear door before he decided to reverse.

I phoned the police at the time and while on the phone the bus driver said "sorry mate, my fault, I take responsibility", I relayed this to the police and so they didn't bother attending.

When my insurance company were dealing with it the bus driver had told his insurance company that I had driven into the back of him and that it was my fault. As I had no witnesses, thinking, stupidly, the bus driver would be a man of his word, my insurance company wanted to settle it 50/50. I had to fight my insurance company tooth and nail to get them to challenge it, I sent them photos of the damage saying there was absolutely no way that me driving into the back of a bus could cause that sort of damage, but my company were still not having it they were pushing for me to settle 50/50. My words to the insurance company went along the lines of "I'm sorry for the swearing but take that c**t to court and let him purger himself, I will get damage experts on the case, there is no way I will accept 50/50". My insurance company relented and sent the other insurance company letters to go to court, and miraculously the bus driver admitted he had lied and he was at fault.

I've had one accident since but I had the police out even though the other person claimed responsibility. Get them involved, as when there is something to lose (no claims, excess, job etc...) people often lie.

P.S. Don't count on your insurance company acting in your best interest, but in there's.

Quote Originally Posted by rs3100 View Post
    P.S. Don't count on your insurance company acting in your best interest, but in there's.
    Yeah i accept that, im in a bit of a spot here.

Either ASDA will just deny it, and i'll have to take a hit, or they will accept it and i'll keep my NCB.

Its getting to a level where im a bit out of my depth. I've got the police involved, and maybe my insurance company will deal with the situation better than i can.

Once again, this board is proving how valuable it can be because you can post about something which has happened to you and, more often than not, there's at least one person on here who has been through exactly the same sort of thing.

Can't offer anything more than what's been said already really - so much depends on what the attitude of the ASDA staff is like when they turn up at your home.

as a matter of note

YOU MUST REPORT ANY ACCIDENT TO THE POLICE IN 24 HOURS

Standard. Any larger company would do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoth View Post
    Standard. Any larger company would do this.
    Just had the guys round, and he said it looks like one of our back bars have dragged along this, he said that he would submit the forms to his solicitors, but looking at this they should pay out. He said driver said he didnt feel anything, but with a back bar scrape he might not have (fair enough)

He wouldn't answer immediately that they accepted liability, but said that we shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Im a lot happier now, it could still go wrong, but it seems clearer now.

This thread has been a great help for me, thanks everyone.

Good news.

Just had the guys round, and he said it looks like one of our back bars have dragged along this, he said that he would submit the forms to his solicitors, but looking at this they should pay out. He said driver said he didnt feel anything, but with a back bar scrape he might not have (fair enough)

He wouldn't answer immediately that they accepted liability, but said that we shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Im a lot happier now, it could still go wrong, but it seems clearer now.

This thread has been a great help for me, thanks everyone.
    You must inform your insurers,have you got legal aid cover.

Quote Originally Posted by dandywarhol View Post
    You must inform your insurers,have you got legal aid cover.
    Yes i am doing my insurers.

Well done forum. Well done

Back in April this year I was stationary at a roundabout (waiting to pull off) in Carmarthan and a Volkswagon Transporter went up my arse. I got out of my van to check the damage, nothing too bad apart from a crease in one of my back doors. The other guy got out of his car and he was a Swedish guy in his Swedish car over here on his holidays, just my luck. Anyway we exchanged details and I took photos of the damage on my phone. When I got home I phoned my insurance company and that's where my main problem began. I gave them all his details and they said they will sort it out. After a month or so I phoned them again to see what was happening and they told me that they were having problems contacting his insurance company in Sweden. A couple of months later and after several more phone calls I was getting nowhere with them, and then last month I phoned them again, only to be told that the registration number of his car was not registering, ever though I sent the idiots a photo of his reg number.
    In the end I just gave up and got it repaired myself. A mate of mine managed to pop the crease out and he charged me £30
    Now this is where it gets fooked up. At the time my wife jarred her back, nothing serious. I told her to put a claim in and this week she had a phone call to say that they are willing to pay her £2,500 she accepted this and she will have a cheque through the post within 6 weeks, so not all bad in the end.
    The moral of my story is stay away from Gladiator insurance because they are a bunch of idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by The Alien View Post
    Back in April this year I was stationary at a roundabout (waiting to pull off) in Carmarthan and a Volkswagon Transporter went up my arse. I got out of my van to check the damage, nothing too bad apart from a crease in one of my back doors. The other guy got out of his car and he was a Swedish guy in his Swedish car over here on his holidays, just my luck. Anyway we exchanged details and I took photos of the damage on my phone. When I got home I phoned my insurance company and that's where my main problem began. I gave them all his details and they said they will sort it out. After a month or so I phoned them again to see what was happening and they told me that they were having problems contacting his insurance company in Sweden. A couple of months later and after several more phone calls I was getting nowhere with them, and then last month I phoned them again, only to be told that the registration number of his car was not registering, ever though I sent the idiots a photo of his reg number.
    In the end I just gave up and got it repaired myself. A mate of mine managed to pop the crease out and he charged me £30
    Now this is where it gets fooked up. At the time my wife jarred her back, nothing serious. I told her to put a claim in and this week she had a phone call to say that they are willing to pay her £2,500 she accepted this and she will have a cheque through the post within 6 weeks, so not all bad in the end.
    The moral of my story is stay away from Gladiator insurance because they are a bunch of idiots.
    I had a dealing with Gladiator insurance many years ago, someone popped the lock on my van and stole a few of my crappy old power tools i left in the van for work ( i used to store all my good kit in 2 large orange crates in the garage overnight ), now i had van insurance for my tools aswell, they stalled and stalled on paying out despite me doing everything by the book, they paid me out hardly anything in the end, a shocking company

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    as a matter of note

YOU MUST REPORT ANY ACCIDENT TO THE POLICE IN 24 HOURS
    That's an over simplification. If the people involved exchange details at the scene and no one is injured you don't have to report it. https://www.essex.police.uk/contact-...ked-questions/

Quote Originally Posted by blue matt View Post
    I had a dealing with Gladiator insurance many years ago, someone popped the lock on my van and stole a few of my crappy old power tools i left in the van for work ( i used to store all my good kit in 2 large orange crates in the garage overnight ), now i had van insurance for my tools aswell, they stalled and stalled on paying out despite me doing everything by the book, they paid me out hardly anything in the end, a shocking company
    i am not convinced we needed to know what colour the crates were.

Quote Originally Posted by kingbillyboy View Post
    i am not convinced we needed to know what colour the crates were.