+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The end for Whitts?

The end for Whitts?

I thought Warnock used to target Whittingham when his teams played us? If I recall correctly he said "get pace in and around Whittingham and Cardiff can't play"

Re: The end for Whitts?

Quote Originally Posted by the leader View Post
    I thought Warnock used to target Whittingham when his teams played us? If I recall correctly he said "get pace in and around Whittingham and Cardiff can't play"

So "OUR NEIL", picked out Whitts as our best player and now YOU think it's the end for him.

Nice logic.NOT

Blue in the Face

I think the OP is highlighting the idea that Whitts' weaknesses can be exploited which means he can't play to his strengths

To be honest, I'm just hoping Warnock gets Huws up and running

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    I think the OP is highlighting the idea that Whitts' weaknesses can be exploited which means he can't play to his strengths

To be honest, I'm just hoping Warnock gets Huws up and running

Didn't Whitts score a hat trick at Sheffield United ?

Not sure if "OUR NEIL" was still there mind.

Whitts is likely to be the main man in midfield. Hoilett's acquisition will probably be the end for either Harris or Noone or both.

NW says he sees what he's got to work with then decides on what tactics to play to suit the players strengths.

As Whitts is the only midfielder we've got with a football brain then he most likely will find himself out of the team and we will be going more direct.

You could be right - but at the moment we can't afford pretty football - we need results and quick.
    I'm hopeful we can turn over the carrot munchers

Why would a manager get rid of a player that creates so many chances, if anything what we may see Whittingham advance further up the field where his ability can be used more.

I've never seen the point of him playing just in front of our CBs.

Quote Originally Posted by CCFC CASUAL View Post
    NW says he sees what he's got to work with then decides on what tactics to play to suit the players strengths.

As Whitts is the only midfielder we've got with a football brain then he most likely will find himself out of the team and we will be going more direct.
    I'm not sure about this mate. The fact that Whittingham is the only player who can deliver a good dead ball will be instrumental to the way we step up (for the time being anyway)

Warnock generally likes to have someone in his teams who can do a bit more, and add to that the fact that Whittingham has probably been our best ball winner this season and I don't see why he'd be surplus.

Gunnarsson is crap and Ralls is playing crap so it would be O'Keefe, Whittingham and one other for me. It will be interesting to see what he does.

Completely outplayed by opposition mids with an ounce of athleticism.

All these chances he creates is a myth.

Playing one or two fancy passes a game is not enough to warrant a starting place every game.

I'd rather a midfield that will actually attempt to run or pass balls through the middle. Instead of resorting to lumping it to wing every single time. It is so predictable. Our 3 mids are like snails.

If only we still had Jordan Mutch powering through.

Quote Originally Posted by LordKenwyne View Post

Playing one or two fancy passes a game is not enough to warrant a starting place every game.

I'd rather a midfield that will actually attempt to run or pass balls through the middle. Instead of resorting to lumping it to wing every single time. It is so predictable. Our 3 mids are like snails.

You have to play a system that protects Whitts, that gives him space to play in.

If someone said to me who is the most likely player in this side to get an assist in a goal i would say Whitts, his stats speak for themselves.

Unfortunately we do not have a Mutch, or anything on that level, it would be nice to have a Cowie, who would play with a busy energy in midfield.

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    You have to play a system that protects Whitts, that gives him space to play in.

If someone said to me who is the most likely player in this side to get an assist in a goal i would say Whitts, his stats speak for themselves.

Unfortunately we do not have a Mutch, or anything on that level, it would be nice to have a Cowie, who would play with a busy energy in midfield.
    Ye maybe.

It is a strange as we try to pack the midfield. Trollope said his entire formation was to make the most of whittingham. Yet we were completely outplayed by teams playing 4 4 2.

Under Mackay we were so direct. I'm beyond bored of seeing our central mids hit it to the wings because they are so low on confidence. Maybe they don't have much to work with the lack of wingers in 3 5 2......Hoilett

Ye maybe.

It is a strange as we try to pack the midfield. Trollope said his entire formation was to make the most of whittingham. Yet we were completely outplayed by teams playing 4 4 2.

Under Mackay we were so direct. I'm beyond bored of seeing our central mids hit it to the wings because they are so low on confidence. Maybe they don't have much to work with the lack of wingers in 3 5 2......Hoilett
    I think Warnock will get the best out of Whitts, i dont think we will see Whitts, collecting the ball directly off the CBs, i think the quarterback option is nonsense.

Warnock will get what we have functioning better than both Slade and Trollope.

Banned

Why would a manager get rid of a player that creates so many chances, if anything what we may see Whittingham advance further up the field where his ability can be used more.

I've never seen the point of him playing just in front of our CBs.
    Against Leeds he took 12 corners which created zilch.

He has scored 15 goals in the last 121 games most of which were penalties.

He gets robbed of possession in dangerous areas because he thinks he got more time to pick a pass.

His best years are long gone and hopefully Colin will realise it.

It's that age old question of do we use our midfield to protect someone who can take set pieces or not. By doing so we give ourselves a problem with having a midfield that's overrun, further relying on set pieces. The alternative is a better functioning and more efficient, effective midfield but you lose some of the ability from set pieces (even if Noone is decent at taking them.

Yes he did, won 4-3. Whitts was on fire that season.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Half a Bee View Post
    It's that age old question of do we use our midfield to protect someone who can take set pieces or not. By doing so we give ourselves a problem with having a midfield that's overrun, further relying on set pieces. The alternative is a better functioning and more efficient, effective midfield but you lose some of the ability from set pieces (even if Noone is decent at taking them.
    If you score a goal off a set piece and your midfield and defense is tight, you win 1-0.

If you remove a man you have to protect, but then create no chances you draw 0-0.

I still think Whitts is the most likely player in our squad, to deliver a set piece, score from distance, to play a pass through to a forward.

Its a valid debate though.

This is the manager who actually got something out of Abel Tarrot, it may be a bit more brutal, but malky wasn't a walk in the park.

Nooney and Harris most likely falls guys. Wait until he see's Gunnarson mis-controlling it in front of the CB's and the parody I am trying run. O'Keefe and Ralls as the centre two a cert for me. Where Whitts, Pilkington and Immers play is a mystery.

Going to be fun

Ahh, the myth that is Jordon Mutch.......Played when the "stop Whitts stop Cardiff" game plan was widely known, so the unknown Mutch as the advanced CM caught a few teams off guard and we crawled over the promotion line. Looked good in patches in the premier league season, but in a system where he had the only bit of freedom.

Q- How many goals he scored since his transfer over two season ago ?

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    Ahh, the myth that is Jordon Mutch.......Played when the "stop Whitts stop Cardiff" game plan was widely known, so the unknown Mutch as the advanced CM caught a few teams off guard and we crawled over the promotion line. Looked good in patches in the premier league season, but in a system where he had the only bit of freedom.

He has had little game time. And I don't care for goals really. The most whittingham has scored in the past 3 years is six. That is taking every single freekick and penalty.

We had the best defensive record in europe didn't we with the promotion team.

Marshall broke all sorts of records of clean sheets.

Whittingham is 32.

To think he can compete with 20-25 years old is not happening. He was never athletic in the first place.

However out of form he is, he must play apparently. He would have played better in the past few years if given a break and people stopped defending his poor efforts.

The lack of depth hasn't helped his constant game time either.
    Last edited by LordKenwyne; 07-10-16 at 11:58.

Just pass it through the middle. If only football were that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post

Yep, we were really on our knees as we just edged out the chasing pack with three games still to play weren't we - why, they even managed to get within eight points of us by the end .

It should be the end of Whittingham playing in central midfield where he is useless. He hasn't been helped by others this season, but he cannot play in that position whether in front of the back four or further up. I agree with Lord Kenwyne's post above.

Somewhere on the pitch so he can take dead-ball kicks is about all he can do. Whether Warnock will think he is worth a place for that, I'm not so sure about.

Last edited by rich munn; 07-10-16 at 13:17.