+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Day/Night test cricket in England from 2017

Day/Night test cricket in England from 2017

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/37579280

Stupidly bought a ticket for it and they announce this 10 hours later. I guess the novelty factor will put more bums on seats even if its a poor Windies side.

Test cricket is alive yeah?

Re: Day/Night test cricket in England from 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Alex! View Post
    www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/37579280

Stupidly bought a ticket for it and they announce this 10 hours later. I guess the novelty factor will put more bums on seats even if its a poor Windies side.

Test cricket is alive yeah?
    I really hope they leave the Ashes alone. Have they said if the Convicts are going to make one of the Ashes matches out there a day/night.

Pink ball under the lights doesnt seem like Test cricket to me but maybe its time to look forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    I really hope they leave the Ashes alone. Have they said if the Convicts are going to make one of the Ashes matches out there a day/night.

Pink ball under the lights doesnt seem like Test cricket to me but maybe its time to look forward.
    I cant see them changes the ashes, whats the point, the ashes makes money as a test series.

However for the other series, why not, i dont think this is needed in England as much as it is need say in the sub-continent, but its worth a go.

First Team

Quote Originally Posted by qccfc View Post
    I cant see them changes the ashes, whats the point, the ashes makes money as a test series.

However for the other series, why not, i dont think this is needed in England as much as it is need say in the sub-continent, but its worth a go.
    There is still, probably, sufficient demand in England for test cricket to be played during the day. More probably Sky TV can't (yet) see the benefit to them.
    In the other test playing nations, test matches are often played in front of smallish crowds as the T20 format continues its relentless rise to being the most popular format of the game and further diminishes the old order.
    I am pretty sure that if this day/ night experiment works and Sky believe that it enhances their ratings then it will enforce the change.
    There are rumours that more than one test nation are talking of reducing test matches to four days and playing them over two weekends to encourage crowds. No idea how valid this internet chatter is but bearing in mind the games enthusiasm to embrace change it's hard not to give this idea some credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorblue View Post
    There is still, probably, sufficient demand in England for test cricket to be played during the day. More probably Sky TV can't (yet) see the benefit to them.
    In the other test playing nations, test matches are often played in front of smallish crowds as the T20 format continues its relentless rise to being the most popular format of the game and further diminishes the old order.
    I am pretty sure that if this day/ night experiment works and Sky believe that it enhances their ratings then it will enforce the change.
    There are rumours that more than one test nation are talking of reducing test matches to four days and playing them over two weekends to encourage crowds. No idea how valid this internet chatter is but bearing in mind the games enthusiasm to embrace change it's hard not to give this idea some credibility.
    If you enforce over rate, there is a valid option to play four day test matches.

In India and Dubai its difficult for the workers to get the time off to see cricket. Which is not so much a problem in the UK and AUS, day night ODI are easier to attend, and T20 easier again.

I think that the changes are needed to make cricket more accessible, i believe there is still an attitude there for it.

Amazing recovery by England to beat Bangladesh

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/37587897