+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FT: Wales 1 - 1 Georgia

FT: Wales 1 - 1 Georgia

Biggest loss for us is obviously Joe Allen so the question is who will replace him? I am fairly certain Coleman will opt for the same team with Edwards filling in the holding role.

We have only played Georgia 3 times and lost every game.

Some Georgia facts:
    Georgia have won three of their last 10 competitive matches, with two of them coming against Gibraltar and the other against Scotland.

Their all-time leading scorer is former Rangers striker Shota Arveladze, who struck 26 goals for his country.

Tornike Okriashvili is the top scorer in Georgia's current squad with seven international goals.

Blue in the Face

Re: Wales v Georgia match thread

TEAM NEWS

Wales will be without midfielders Joe Allen and Aaron Ramsey for Sunday's World Cup qualifier against Georgia. Allen injured his hamstring during Thursday's draw in Austria, while Ramsey has been out since the opening weekend of the Premier League season. David Edwards and Emyr Huws are the leading contenders to replace Allen.

"We're without Aaron and Joe, but no problem, we're good enough to go and perform," said Wales manager Chris Coleman.

"I know it's a full house, big expectations. As long as we get what we need - we may have to get that in a slightly different way.

"That's not to say the players we've got are not capable; they're well capable, good players and they never let us down. So it's a big task, a big challenge against Georgia."

MATCH PREVIEW

As joint leaders of their World Cup qualifying group and European Championship semi-finalists, Wales might be expected to breeze past Georgia.However, history suggests the hosts should be wary of opponents ranked 137th in the world - 127 places lower than Coleman's men.

Wales have lost all three of their matches against Georgia, with two of those coming at home in a 2008 friendly and a Euro 96 qualifier in 1995. But their most damaging defeat was their first, a 5-0 thrashing in Tbilisi in 1994. Coleman was in the Wales team on that occasion and his memories are still vivid...

"They were dark days. The away game was my lowest moment in a Wales shirt," he said.

"But that is not a problem for this generation of players. Under-estimating the opposition was more a problem of my generation.

"I tell my players what I think my group did wrong and what we missed out and what they can do to be better than us."

This current Georgian side are also capable of causing an upset, as demonstrated by their friendly victory away against former world champions Spain earlier this year. Wales, however, showed with their 4-0 win over Moldova in their first match of this campaign that they are capable of ruthlessly dismantling weaker opposition.

"We are lucky with this bunch of players, the attitude is first class," Coleman added.

"We have not had sunshine and rainbows, we lost a semi-final in the summer and it does not come any tougher than that. The attitude after that was first class and has to continue."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

Georgia have won all three of their previous matches against Wales.
    Current manager Chris Coleman was in the Wales team when they lost 5-0 to Georgia in 1994.
    Georgia have scored eight goals in three games against Wales, who have struck only once in those encounters.
    Wales

Wales have won six of their last 10 competitive matches, losing three and drawing one.
    Gareth Bale has scored 24 goals for Wales, four behind Ian Rush's record mark.
    Wales' 2-2 draw in Austria was the first time they avoided defeat in their current grey away kit.
    Georgia

Georgia have won three of their last 10 competitive matches, with two of them coming against Gibraltar and the other against Scotland.
    Their all-time leading scorer is former Rangers striker Shota Arveladze, who struck 26 goals for his country.
    Tornike Okriashvili is the top scorer in Georgia's current squad with seven international goals.
    MOST RECENT MEETING

Wales 1-2 Georgia (20 August, 2008)

Beka Gotsiridze scored a 90th-minute winner after Jason Koumas had given Wales the lead in a friendly at Swansea's Liberty Stadium.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37532639

Blue in the Face

Here are the squads...

WALES

Goalkeepers: Wayne Hennessey, Danny Ward, Owain Fon Williams.

Defenders: Ben Davies, James Chester, James Collins, Paul Dummett, Chris Gunter, Jazz Richards, Neil Taylor, Ashley Williams.

Midfielders: Joe Allen, David Edwards, Emyr Huws, Andy King, Tom Lawrence, Joe Ledley, Shaun MacDonald.

Attackers: Gareth Bale, Tom Bradshaw, David Cotterill, Hal Robson-Kanu, Sam Vokes.

GEORGIA

Goalkeepers: Giorgi Loria (Krylya Sovetov, Russia), George Makaridze- (Moreirense, Portugal), Roin Kvaskhvadze (Torpedo Kutaisi)

Defenders: Ucha Lobjanidze (Dinamo Tbilisi), Otar Kakabadze (khimnastiki, Spain), Solomon Kvirkvelia (Rubin, Russia), Guram Kashia (Vitesse, Netherlands), Lasha Dvali (Slask, Poland ), David Khocholava (Chernomorets, Ukraine), George Navalovski (Vera, Greece), Zurab Tsiskaridze (Teplice, Czech Republic)

Midfielders: General Daushvili (dioshgiori, Hungary), Jano Ananidze (Spartak, Russia), Alexander Kobakhidze (Vorskla, Ukraine) Tornike Okriashvili (Krasnodar, Russia), Jaba Jigauri (Dinamo Tbilisi), Valery Kazaishvili (Legia, Poland), George Papunashvili (Dinamo Tbilisi), Lasha Parunashvili (Dinamo Tbilisi), Valery Gvilia (Bate, Belarus)

Forwards: Skhirtladze (silkeborgi, Denmark), Levan Mchedlidze (Empoli, Italy), Vladimir Dvalishvili (Dinamo Tbilisi), George Kvilitaia (Rapid, Austria) Nika Kacharava (Ethnikos, Cyprus)

Blue in the Face

Bradshaw replaced Simon Church (hip injury) in the squad before the Austria game, though it seemed to go widely unreported. Hal looked unfit to me against Austria. So might we see Bradshaw introduced at some stage. He has the pace and energy to worry Georgia. Can he step up?

Ananidze is a talent for Georgia. Their midfield is strong. This is where the battle will be today. Bale is more of a key player than usual. The amount of ground he is able to cover might determine the outcome of the game. Do we play him off the shoulder and bypass a strong Georgian midfield? Or do we play him deeper so that we can win the midfield battle? I expect Coleman will hope that he's able to do both.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Bradshaw replaced Simon Church (hip injury) in the squad before the Austria game, though it seemed to go widely unreported. Hal looked unfit to me against Austria. So might we see Bradshaw introduced at some stage. He has the pace and energy to worry Georgia. Can he step up?

Ananidze is a talent for Georgia. Their midfield is strong. This is where the battle will be today. Bale is more of a key player than usual. The amount of ground he is able to cover might determine the outcome of the game. Do we play him off the shoulder and bypass a strong Georgian midfield? Or do we play him deeper so that we can win the midfield battle? I expect Coleman will hope that he's able to do both.
    I don't know how FIFA feels about Goalie-when but Bale does have his own gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post

I think Lawrence is way ahead of Bradshaw in Coleman's eyes so would be very surprised unless Lawrence is injured

Teams:
    Same for us with Edwards in for Allen as expected

Georgia team v Wales: Loria, Kakabadze, Kashia, Kverkvelia, Daushvili, Ananidze, Kaziashvili, Okriashvili, Gvilia, Navalovski, Mchedlidze.

I may be going nuts but more importantly, how is there alcohol available in the stadium? Didnt think it was allowed in internationals, or did they do it purposely because I'm not drinking alcohol this month?

Stadium & crowd looks amazing on the telly!
    C'mon Wales

Quote Originally Posted by MacAdder View Post
    Stadium & crowd looks amazing on the telly!
    C'mon Wales
    Tan's white elephant mate ffs basketcaseofaclubsashambles

Baaaaaalllleeee

Re: Latest: Wales 1 - 0 Georgia

GET IN

Our defence got lucky there. Gave offside but he was on!

Absolute belter of a team photo.
    Pretty soon it will be just Hennessey on his own at the back.

CuVtOh1XEAAKWZ1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Shhh View Post
    I may be going nuts but more importantly, how is there alcohol available in the stadium? Didnt think it was allowed in internationals, or did they do it purposely because I'm not drinking alcohol this month?
    I think its because UEFA banned alcohol and FIFA haven't. Which means its allowed at world cup games but not EURO's.

Aw fvcking hell. Come on lads, World Cup qualification rests on games like this

Ah bollocks!
    That has been coming in all fairness.
    Be tough now :(

Re: Latest: Wales 1 - 1 Georgia

Neil Taylor is just awful.
    King is having a shocker again.
    Need to try something different here.

Hal Robson....Hal Robson Kanu, Hal.....

Cmon now Wales!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Our whole defence looks shaky. Don't know what's happened to us since the Euros

Why is Vokes trying to score with his head from the long throw. He is only just inside the box ffs.
    Shirley he must get a flick on?

We should be behind. This is a shame to watch after everything this team has done in recent times.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    We should be behind. This is a shame to watch after everything this team has done in recent times.
    Agree.
    It wouldn't surprise me at all if we lose this.
    Played all his cards

Quote Originally Posted by Wash DC Blue View Post
    Add Vokes to that list!

Georgia in to be fair are no mugs and will gain points.
    Tough tough group this.

Vokes had a shocker. Looks to me like he's carrying too much weight.