+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Wales need to look to tomorrow, today.

Wales need to look to tomorrow, today.

I have a theory about Coleman and his mindset, and its unsettling. Coleman has made his mark and goes after the World Cup anyway so this is his last hurrah, and also his chance to get a big club when he leaves the Wales job. As a result, despite the 'bravado' last night in chasing the win (personally i think we should have kept things how they were as we had more chance of getting a win in our trusted formation) i think he has showed how risk-averse he is.
    He took a 'squad' to the Euros, a fair few of whom never got a look in on the pitch. What that means is he does not trust the players he has on the bench to come on and change a game.
    He is right not to because George Williams, Jonny Williams, David Cotterill and Emyr Huws are not international players along with David Edwards and Andy King.
    Last night we started with King and Edwards but once Georgia got the pace of the game it was clear that they had the upper hand in midfield ability-wise. We finished with Cotterill and Huws on the field and that says it all about our strength in depth.
    Joe Ledley can just about make his mark at this level if he has the likes of Allen and Rambo alongside him because he is experienced and talented enough to perform his simple role well. Last night he was our midfield lynch-pin and he is not that good.
    So, with this in mind, why did Coleman even start the game one down on the bench? Why not call up one of the supposedly talented kids we have that might get lost to England? Maybe people are not aware that we had one substitute less than Georgia? Imagine if Wales had continued the excellent start and got a few goals to the good, that could have seen the likes of Tyler Roberts or Ben Woodburn capped. Ok, they might not make it but surely they are a better bet than Cotterill. Woodburn is the one everyone is talking about at Liverpool yet we dont even call him up when we are short in the squad?
    Coleman wont look at these kids and take a risk, even when theres nothing to lose (as our options on the bench are poor anyway). What is the overall risk to Welsh football if he looks to bring some young talent in? None whatsoever.
    If we get through this campaign we will be going to Russia with the same squad, and we already know the squad is simply not good enough. I just dont understand why he doesnt look to see how the young kids go.

Re: Wales need to look to tomorrow, today.

We had one less player because Allen was injured and we couldn't call up a replacement because it was too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
    We had one less player because Allen was injured and we couldn't call up a replacement because it was too late.
    That cant be right. If it is, its bloody silly. From the moment Allen left the pitch in Austria we knew he was a doubt and we couldnt get a player in on standby who might want to play for his country?

Quote Originally Posted by the leader View Post
    That cant be right. If it is, its bloody silly. From the moment Allen left the pitch in Austria we knew he was a doubt and we couldnt get a player in on standby who might want to play for his country?
    I think UEFA rules stipulate you can't call up a replacement in between matches

Blue in the Face

I've seen both Woodburn and Roberts play a fair few times and they are nowhere near ready for international football. It could do as much bad as good to throw them into the limelight too soon.

The OP makes a good point about the risk averse nature of the change of formation once Georgia equalised. Coleman got it wrong for once and I feel he made a hot blooded descision. Also, when we changed to four at the back, the full backs bombed on way too much as if they were still wing backs. This in turn threw Chester and Williams off positionally when they kept catching is on the break. I feel bad for the subs as they were where thrown into the fire a little and no one seemed to no exactly what Coleman wanted. I think the manager needs to take the flak here.

A new phenomenon for Wales is we are getting caught out by the opposition in ways which we wouldn't have a year ago. In the last two games we've been getting done by basic through balls and crosses over the top and chucked in behind because we're now playing a much higher line against good opposition. Perhaps we need to revert back to being a bit more of a boring and conservative outfit.

Perhaps our success is biting us in the butt a bit now? The home pressure to attack attack attack actually could even work against us.

This group is much tougher than a lot of folks realise. The fact that Georgia are supposed to be one of the minnows shows how high the standard is and how we didn't really have the best of luck with the draw as a pot one team. On the upside, there are no world class teams in our group. Without injuries, we can beat any team home or away. If we qualify out of this it will be a phenomenal achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I think UEFA rules stipulate you can't call up a replacement in between matches
    England did.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    I've seen both Woodburn and Roberts play a fair few times and they are nowhere near ready for international football. It could do as much bad as good to throw them into the limelight too soon.

The OP makes a good point about the risk averse nature of the change of formation once Georgia equalised. Coleman got it wrong for once and I feel he made a hot blooded descision. Also, when we changed to four at the back, the full backs bombed on way too much as if they were still wing backs. This in turn threw Chester and Williams off positionally when they kept catching is on the break. I feel bad for the subs as they were where thrown into the fire a little and no one seemed to no exactly what Coleman wanted. I think the manager needs to take the flak here.

A new phenomenon for Wales is we are getting caught out by the opposition in ways which we wouldn't have a year ago. In the last two games we've been getting done by basic through balls and crosses over the top and chucked in behind because we're now playing a much higher line against good opposition. Perhaps we need to revert back to being a bit more of a boring and conservative outfit.

Perhaps our success is biting us in the butt a bit now? The home pressure to attack attack attack actually could even work against us.

This group is much tougher than a lot of folks realise. The fact that Georgia are supposed to be one of the minnows shows how high the standard is and how we didn't really have the best of luck with the draw as a pot one team. On the upside, there are no world class teams in our group. Without injuries, we can beat any team home or away. If we qualify out of this it will be a phenomenal achievement.
    Agree with most of this. However until the Euro 2016 qualification we had under achieved when you think that Northern Ireland,Ireland and Scotland had all qualified for major finals far more recently than us.
    This is a tough group and we really need to be at the strength against Serbia next month and revert back to the more cautious style of playing where we look to keep clean sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post

I do agree in part with what you say but I maintain that Ben Woodburn and Harry Wilson NOW are better than Cotterill could ever hope to be.