+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Welsh youth thread...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: The Welsh youth thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    WALES U21 SQUAD ANNOUNCED: ARMENIA BRINGS CLOSURE TO U21 CAMPAIGN

The final qualifier takes place in Yereven, Armenia on Tuesday, 11th October.

http://www.faw.cymru/en/news/wales-u...-u21-campaign/

Manager Geraint Williams has named his final Wales Under-21 squad of the current UEFA Under-21 EURO 2017 qualifying campaign as his side look to finish on a high when they make the difficult journey to Armenia to face the Group 5 minnows on Tuesday, 11 October.

Recent results dictate that Wales are no longer in the qualification mix, and at best can now only move up one place to third if other results are favourable. However, things were very different earlier in the year, when Williams' then-undefeated side headed to Bulgaria and Romania for a qualification double-header that would eventually define their campaign. But a 0-0 draw in Bulgaria was followed by a disappointing 2-1 reverse in Romania over the Easter period, and Wales were left with the difficult task of having to claim maximum points in their remaining three games against Denmark, Luxembourg and next opponents Armenia.

After a 4-0 defeat to Denmark in Wrexham, a late Jake Charles equaliser claimed a share of the points against Luxembourg at Bangor a few days later, but it was too little too late in a campaign that had promised so much with early results.

Armenia currently sit bottom of Group 5, their only point coming at home in a 1-1 draw against Luxembourg last October. Wales defeated Armenia 2-1 at Bangor last November when Harry Wilson made headlines with an injury-time winner after Ellis Harrison had put the side ahead from the penalty spot.

WALES U21 SQUAD

Billy O’Brien (Manchester City)
    Michael Crowe (Ipswich Town)
    Declan John (Cardiff City)
    Jordan Evans (Wrexham)
    Joe Rodon (Swansea City)
    Tom Lockyer (Bristol Rovers)
    Connor Roberts (Swansea City, on loan with Bristol City) HE'S ON LOAN AT BRIZZLE ROVERS
    Gethin Jones (Everton)
    Dominic Smith (Shrewsbury Town, on loan with Barrow)
    Regan Poole (Manchester United)
    Dan James (Swansea City)
    Josh Sheehan (Swansea City, on loan with Newport County)
    Jake Charles (Barnsley)
    Tom O’Sullivan (Cardiff City)
    George Williams (Fulham, on loan with MK Dons)
    Ellis Harrison (Bristol Rovers)
    Harry Wilson (Liverpool)

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Llanedeyrnblue View Post
    Connor Roberts (Swansea City, on loan with Bristol City) HE'S ON LOAN AT BRIZZLE ROVERS.
    True. Thanks for the correction. I just copied and pasted from the FAW site.

Brizzle Rovers are now regularly starting all three of their Welsh u21s at league one level now and doing well in the league. Good news.

Brizzle Rovers are now regularly starting all three of their Welsh u21s at league one level now and doing well in the league. Good news.

They've always had Welsh players, in the 60's they had a youth side playing in Cardiff youth league , Clifton Villa

Blue in the Face

They've always had Welsh players, in the 60's they had a youth side playing in Cardiff youth league , Clifton Villa
    I had no idea that was the case. I guess Rovers were a much bigger club in those days than they are now.

There's still a big Welsh connection there. As well as Lockyer, Harrison and Roberts on loan, there's Billy Bodin (just earnt a fresh contract there) and I think ex Wales international Jermaine Easter still plays for Rovers (??) not sure.

Rovers also have three Welsh youngsters Danny Greenslade, Jamie Lucas and Ryan Broom. Jamie Lucas is a striker from Pontyprydd who has shown good potential apparently.

I remember them having a scouting system in South Wales. They had Frankie Prince and Peter Aitkin from Penarth that made it. Martyn Thomas from Senghenydd was another.
    Spedger

Was thinking the same. I like the look of Harrison. Hope he makes it into the senior team in the future.
    Spedger

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Sloop_Jon_Bee View Post
    Was thinking the same. I like the look of Harrison. Hope he makes it into the senior team in the future.
    Spedger
    Whenever I've seen Harrison for the Welsh u21s, he's been chucked on the left wing and has struggled. But whenever I've seen him for Rovers, they use him as a no.9 and he does really well. He certainly has good physical attributes and he's already clocked up a lot of league experience for such a young player. Wes Burns was getting the no.9 spot for the Welsh u21s over the past couple of years and does well there. He's surprisingly strong for his size. He's not in this squad for some reason so possibly Harrison will get the no.9 tomorrow.

The other option for Wales is Jake Charles who has just moved to Barnsley. Rumours are that Barnsley paid a big fee for him but it was undisclosed so this could be nonsense.