+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: A stat that may surprise the Bulut fans

A stat that may surprise the Bulut fans

Cardiff City are currently on a run of 24 league games without a victory by two or more goals. The side's last win by a two-goal margin came way back in October when the Bluebirds beat Bristol City 2-0 at the CCS.

As things stand, there are only four teams in the top five divisions of English football who are on longer runs of this nature. They are Birmingham City (21st in the Championship, 27 games), Sutton United (bottom of League Two, 27 games), Carlisle United (bottom of League One, 26 games) and Rotherham United (bottom of the Championship, 26 games).

Before Saturday's fixtures, there was another side who were on a run of 26 league games without a victory by two or more goals, but they managed to win 2-0 at the weekend. Their name is Swansea City.

Re: A stat that may surprise the Bulut fans

Its hardly surprising we haven't got a L1 striker at the club let alone a championship one and the only championship winger is a second full back

To add some context, the longest run of league games without a victory by two or more goals last season was 18.

I'm sure it's all someone else's fault and that he doesn't have "his" players yet (On Saturday Ng and Wintle were the only starters not signed under Bulut)

No surprise, we are appalling upfront, when we go ahead we have to defend, I guess that’s why we have more points than last season.

Quote Originally Posted by City123 View Post
    I'm sure it's all someone else's fault and that he doesn't have "his" players yet (On Saturday Ng and Wintle were the only starters not signed under Bulut)
    I’m quite happy to criticise Bulut for tactics, selection and general negativity but I think the quality of squad is another discussion. He had an embargo in the summer when you would expect a manager to do most of a rebuild and apparently didn’t have what he was promised in January.

I think it was mentioned on Saturday's Call Rob that City had not scored a single goal on the break this season. That struck me as pretty extraordinary when I heard it, buti entirely believable on reflection. Reference has been made to Bulut being a manager that sets his teams up to defend deep and counterattack- if thats the case its not working at City.

Could anyone envisage any of our players scoring two goals? I mean in a season let alone a match!

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    Cardiff City are currently on a run of 24 league games without a victory by two or more goals. The side's last win by a two-goal margin came way back in October when the Bluebirds beat Bristol City 2-0 at the CCS.

As things stand, there are only four teams in the top five divisions of English football who are on longer runs of this nature. They are Birmingham City (21st in the Championship, 27 games), Sutton United (bottom of League Two, 27 games), Carlisle United (bottom of League One, 26 games) and Rotherham United (bottom of the Championship, 26 games).

Before Saturday's fixtures, there was another side who were on a run of 26 league games without a victory by two or more goals, but they managed to win 2-0 at the weekend. Their name is Swansea City.
    Who needs Eric?

It just a stat , who cares

There are probably too many stats in modern football, but I think that one really does sum us up.

Quote Originally Posted by Undercoverinwurzelland View Post
    There are probably too many stats in modern football, but I think that one really does sum us up.
    Yup. It just quantifies what we've been watching all season. This is the first season I've hardly used my season ticket after Christmas. The last game I went to was Leicester. I had to take a break. I watched the last couple of games on Sky. Ipswich gave me a glimmer of hope and I was genuinely excited about the match on Saturday. Within a couple of minutes, it was back to normal.

I cannot abide Bulut's football.
    Last edited by Citizen's Nephew; 18-03-24 at 21:21. Reason: Wrong team!

Quote Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanton View Post
    Who needs Eric?
    One disappears and another returns. Like clark Kent and superman

People blaming the strikers for that stat, but we don’t create the chances for them to miss! Maybe Meite, Diedhiou and Etete would miss three sitters a game if we were able to make the chances, but I’ve not seen any of them miss a hat trick of presentable chances in a game yet, not sure I’ve even seen them miss two.

Quote Originally Posted by goats View Post
    One disappears and another returns. Like clark Kent and superman
    A pair of Kents?

The centre halfs are too quick, strong or cute for our forwards and attacking midfielders, they can't move into space, make runs or win the physical battle.

The wingers until CO'D can't cross the ball as it's just a dink with the wrong foot or we just don't see a cross and Grant can't turn with the ball.

The midfielders are predominantly stoppers. Colwill and Turnbull look like passers but to whom?

I am indifferent to Bulut but I still can't see how he changes it until the closed season

Quote Originally Posted by llan bluebird View Post
    The centre halfs are too quick, strong or cute for our forwards and attacking midfielders, they can't move into space, make runs or win the physical battle.

The wingers until CO'D can't cross the ball as it's just a dink with the wrong foot or we just don't see a cross and Grant can't turn with the ball.

The midfielders are predominantly stoppers. Colwill and Turnbull look like passers but to whom?

I am indifferent to Bulut but I still can't see how he changes it until the closed season
    Start with COD on the left, Grant on the right, Colwill as 10 and Ralls alongside Siopis for a start

Keep Wintle and Bowler away from the squad

Quote Originally Posted by olderblue View Post
    Start with COD on the left, Grant on the right, Colwill as 10 and Ralls alongside Siopis for a start

Keep Wintle and Bowler away from the squad
    I like wintle but its a 6 and two "10's" or two "8"s and a "10" a "6" and two "8" with full backs "inverting" into midfield is far too defensive.

Bowler will end up in L1, that season for Blackpool has made him a rich lad

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen's Nephew View Post
    Yup. It just quantifies what we've been watching all season. This is the first season I've hardly used my season ticket after Christmas. The last game I went to was Leicester. I had to take a break. I watched the last couple of games on Sky. Ipswich gave me a glimmer of hope and I was genuinely excited about the match on Saturday. Within a couple of minutes, it was back to normal.

I cannot abide Bulut's football.
    I feel exactly the same

Another stat for you. Rotherham are widely regarded as one of the worst Championship sides of all time. They’ve scored more goals from open play than we have. We’ve scored 19 in 38, which is exactly half a goal a game. Pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Advocaat View Post
    I think it was mentioned on Saturday's Call Rob that City had not scored a single goal on the break this season. That struck me as pretty extraordinary when I heard it, buti entirely believable on reflection. Reference has been made to Bulut being a manager that sets his teams up to defend deep and counterattack- if thats the case its not working at City.
    There are several Bulut "style of play" myths floating about from his cult like supporters.

My favourite is Mozzers take that you can tell Bulut has a futsal background from the way we play. I always thought futsal was where football meets basketball and is played at a fast, exciting pace with plenty of end to end attacks and transitions between both sides.

Unless Moz is getting futsal confused with walking football played by the over 65's I just cant see it myself. Or maybe hes that "I see dead people" kid from the Sixth Sense film and can see things others cant.

International

Who cares if we win every game one nil, George Graham's Arsenal did it very successfully.

Up until 24th October, we scored two or more goals in eleven of the first fourteen games, we scored one goal in the other three games.

Ramsey and O'Dowda were injured, and we carried on for a few games after, then a complete change in how we played, we've kept more clean sheets but have stopped scoring, especially from open play.

Why was that, had teams started to suss us out in addition to losing two of our best players?

How do we get back to playing like that?

Quote Originally Posted by North Cardiff Blue View Post
    Who cares if we win every game one nil, George Graham's Arsenal did it very successfully.

Up until 24th October, we scored two or more goals in eleven of the first fourteen games, we scored one goal in the other three games.

Ramsey and O'Dowda were injured, and we carried on for a few games after, then a complete change in how we played, we've kept more clean sheets but have stopped scoring, especially from open play.

Why was that, had teams started to suss us out in addition to losing two of our best players?

How do we get back to playing like that?

You love this line of excuse but the stats just dont back up this "we lost our two best players and it all changed" theory (excuse).

Of those 14 games Ramsey played in only the first 6 and O Dowda just 4.

Nice try, Linus.

International

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

You love this line of excuse but the stats just dont back up this "we lost our two best players and it all changed" theory (excuse).

Nice try, Linus.
    OK what changed then, you don't accept they started us in the right direction, got the confidence of the team up and that gradually faded, or was it a change in style?

I think every team misses their best most creative players when they are out injured, even Man City.

Even you have to admit, it's a contrast in results and goals scored from the start of the season to now?

It is a big problem, because as good as Ramsey is he will play less and less games and is fading fast, so we can't become dependant on him.

International

Quote Originally Posted by J R Hartley View Post

Nice try, Linus.
    I would imagine Ramsey will get injured again in the next week or two and maybe even O'Dowda, but let's hope they don't it will be interesting to see if results pick up again if they do come back and play?