+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 164 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757107 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

3-1 to Cardiff so far. Kennedy just scored a free kick

James Waite scored the second goal

Finished 3-1. Very encouraging, second half in particular. Kennedy was terrific and deserved his goal, Declan John linked up well with him for Healey's goal and had a strong ninety minutes, Healey was sharp and Ajayi looked after Cameron Coxe well and was unlucky that his only mistake cost a goal. Some excellent football, Waite was the pick of the 'youngsters' and deserved his goal but everybody played their part. Meite got half an hour at the end but couldn't quite get into the game, not for want of trying though. An enjoyable game.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Finished 3-1. Very encouraging, second half in particular. Kennedy was terrific and deserved his goal, Declan John linked up well with him for Healey's goal and had a strong ninety minutes, Healey was sharp and Ajayi looked after Cameron Coxe well and was unlucky that his only mistake cost a goal. Some excellent football, Waite was the pick of the 'youngsters' and deserved his goal but everybody played their part. Meite got half an hour at the end but couldn't quite get into the game, not for want of trying though. An enjoyable game.

Blue in the Face

Really encouraging.

Who was calling the shots in the dugout by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Really encouraging.

Who was calling the shots in the dugout by the way?
    The u18s coach Jarrad Harvey

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    The u18s coach Jarrad Harvey
    Gracias Gringo!

A very enjoyable game last night - here's my report on it.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Was "OUR NEIL" there ?

Quote Originally Posted by BLUETIT View Post
    Was "OUR NEIL" there ?
    I didn't see him or Blackwell but when Halford got injured near the end there was a lot of signalling up to the stand to determine whether he should be treated, to try and complete the 90 minutes, or be brought off. Obviously someone from the first team set-up was there to make that decision but I couldn't see who it was.

There's a bit of press speculation that Cardiff might offer a player + cash for Jonny Hayes in an improved bid - and that Matt Kennedy might be that player. Maybe nothing to it - but it's hard to see Kennedy forcing his way into the first team at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post

Spot on. The second goal summed it up, you're right. We'd tried a couple of times to break through the middle with passes and flicks but when that didn't quite come off we just started again, went down the flank instead, got in behind them, put a good ball in for an onrushing midfielder who put it in the net. Football didn't seem that easy when Slade was here, it doesn't seem that easy under Warnock for a lot of the time either but hopefully there's a light at the end of the tunnel.

I'd assumed that we'd struggle to hold central midfield when Veale went off but I couldn't have been more wrong. Waite was the more eye-catching in there but Spence also seemed completely unfazed by the responsibility and strolled through his 45 minutes with the minimum of fuss. Halford soon realised that the pair of them didn't need babysitting and spent most of the half playing as a right-winger to keep himself interested. Coxe looked composed too and while Harris didn't stand out, there were moments of quality from him.

Waite needs to grow though. Fair enough, no one got near him for most of last night so it wasn't an issue but the one time he did get shoulder-barged he nearly lost possession in a dangerous position and was still rubbing his shoulder a minute later. Obviously there's nothing the club can do about it, bar making him sleep in a greenhouse, but surely it's going to delay, or even halt, his progress if he doesn't start developing physically soon?

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    There's a bit of press speculation that Cardiff might offer a player + cash for Jonny Hayes in an improved bid - and that Matt Kennedy might be that player. Maybe nothing to it - but it's hard to see Kennedy forcing his way into the first team at the moment.
    I notice from his never-ending tweets at the bottom of the page (his goal from last night is there today, an excellent free kick) that he seems to return to Scotland a lot, I wouldn't be surprised if his next move is back there. So good last night, what a talent. Such a shame he hasn't made it here. I'm sure he's brought it on himself to a degree but when you think of the chances that Noone's been given, and Ameobi last season, it's hard to believe how little he's played. You never know, Zohore and Murphy have come out of the cold so there's a glimmer of hope but I guess you're right, his days do seem numbered here.

I didn't see him or Blackwell but when Halford got injured near the end there was a lot of signalling up to the stand to determine whether he should be treated, to try and complete the 90 minutes, or be brought off. Obviously someone from the first team set-up was there to make that decision but I couldn't see who it was.
    From where I was sitting it looked like Andy Dibble was up there

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Foxton View Post
    From where I was sitting it looked like Andy Dibble was up there
    Quite possibly. I used to moan about Slade not turning up to DVP games so I'd be a hypocrite not to do the same when Warnock or Blackwell don't turn up, especially as a couple of Saturday's squad were playing as well as some fringe players. However, there is a different feel about these games now and I'd like to think Warnock is genuine when he talks about the importance of a long term strategy here, even though there is plenty to occupy him in the short term.

A couple of other bits of DVP related stuff. Lloyd Humphries scored for Weston tonight in a 3-2 defeat to Dartford in the National League South. Former player Gethyn Hill also scored, for the fourth game in a row. Another former player, Luke Coulson, has joined Barnet where he'll join up with David Tutonda.

Quite possibly. I used to moan about Slade not turning up to DVP games so I'd be a hypocrite not to do the same when Warnock or Blackwell don't turn up, especially as a couple of Saturday's squad were playing as well as some fringe players. However, there is a different feel about these games now and I'd like to think Warnock is genuine when he talks about the importance of a long term strategy here, even though there is plenty to occupy him in the short term.

A couple of other bits of DVP related stuff. Lloyd Humphries scored for Weston tonight in a 3-2 defeat to Dartford in the National League South. Former player Gethyn Hill also scored, for the fourth game in a row. Another former player, Luke Coulson, has joined Barnet where he'll join up with David Tutonda.
    Warnock was home in Cornwall when he was speaking to Radio Wales last night

Last paragraph is in the wrong thread, we have a thing called "loan watch " ( which is extremely popular , and witty) for these type of comments .

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    I am sure he will read the board to keep abreast of all the development news.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Morris View Post
    I haven't seen him at any games. I was going to come up with some guff about how good it is that he's assembled such a strong backroom team that he can delegate that kind of thing out but, like I said, I never made that excuse for Slade. Or any excuse for him, come to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy the Jock View Post
    I am sure he will read the board to keep abreast of all the development news.
    So he should.

Loan Watch will be back at some point. I'm using the office as the headquarters for the 'Bring Etien home' campaign at the moment. It's really starting to gather some momentum now. I know I can count on your signature when the petition goes round on Saturday.

So he should.

Loan Watch will be back at some point. I'm using the office as the headquarters for the 'Bring Etien home' campaign at the moment. It's really starting to gather some momentum now. I know I can count on your signature when the petition goes round on Saturday.
    Signed.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Signed.
    Thank you. You were the one who came up with the campaign slogan, we wouldn't have got this far without you. I'll make sure Etien mentions you in his first press conference back, I don't want to take all the credit.

Blue in the Face

Thank you. You were the one who came up with the campaign slogan, we wouldn't have got this far without you. I'll make sure Etien mentions you in his first press conference back, I don't want to take all the credit.
    Saint Etien's pilgrimage home

One of the best pre match warmer uppers I've seen in a Cardiff tracksuit

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Signed.
    Not signed .

I haven't seen him at any games. I was going to come up with some guff about how good it is that he's assembled such a strong backroom team that he can delegate that kind of thing out but, like I said, I never made that excuse for Slade. Or any excuse for him, come to that.
    To be fair to Slade, I saw him quite often at Development team matches at Leckwith and the Vale (even had a conversation with him once if thanking him for allowing me to get past him qualifies as one), so I take the point about it being hypercritical to criticise Slade and say nothing about Warnock. However, I will cut Warnock some slack for;-
    1. Acting so quickly on an Academy and Development team system that wasn't working. The proof of the pudding will be in the results it produces of course, but the moving on of players in their early twenties who were stuck in a limbo between youth and first team football and the appointment of someone to oversee age group football at the club in the same way as Brian Flynn used to for Wales, seem like good moves to me - especially as the new appointee is someone like Craig Bellamy.
    2. Less than three months into his time at Cardiff and Warnock has already done what Slade never did in almost two full season at the club - give an Academy graduate (in fact, Mark Harris is still eligible for our Under 18s this season) a first team debut.