+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 17 of 164 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262767117 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

I was with my little lad so I had to leave at half time!

It wasn't great up until then.

There was one occasion in the first half in particular which disappointed me. Harris was on the left and he had the defender one on one with nobody else within twenty yards of them. Harris is a strong lad and fairly quick and I thought go on lad do him, but he cut inside then reset the play and the chance was lost.

I sometimes think, what's the worst thing that can happen if he loses the ball trying to beat the man there?

Are Hull gonna turn over the ball and cut through us like butter to score within 10 seconds?

I think the more likely scenario is that Hull will win the ball and end up pumping it up the line anyway!

These players have got to be a bit more brave in my opinion. I'm sure Warnock won't be looking at Mark Harris ball retention stats today but if Harris scored 2 or 3 goal he make sit up and take notice.

As for Patterson,he was always gonna lack sharpness after such a long lay off. There was one cross field ball that caught the eye but I'm sure there's far more to come from him.

My take on last night's slightly bizarre game.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Blue in the Face

Pity there isn't substantial DVP content on ifollow. I gather there is for other championship clubs?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    My take on last night's slightly bizarre game.

Only just got round to reading this. This is a particularly great write up. Really useful hyperlinks for the trialists. Love the screenplay bit in the middle. You're right, the delegating of Paterson, Coxe and Abbruzzese didn't make too much sense. Paterson can play pretty much anywhere, if he was fit, then he might've gone into midfield. Coxe has been playing right wing hasn't he of late. But perhaps it's good we slap a bit of Ajax ethos on the youngsters from time to time? Even if the team malfunctions. I could see why Rhys might benefit from advancing the technical parts of his game. He does look a decent ball winner and a natural left back, but maybe isn't where Declan John was in terms of on the ball skills. Declan might be a good yardstick for him.

Encouraging second half perhaps. Some younger lads stepping up. Glad we picked up the movie star from Everton. We've kicked two of theirs this summer. As an aside, the latest Welsh 17 squad is loaded with Evertonians, once again, so they've obviously been scouting Wales heavily for a few years now, albeit perhaps concentrated in the North.

Jamie Bird has signed for Hereford. Hopefully it works out for him...

http://bullsnews.blogspot.de/2017/09...ins-bulls.html

Blue in the Face

Two Cardiff players in the latest Wales u17 squad...

WALES U17 SET FOR TWO FRIENDLIES IN LLANELLI

http://www.faw.cymru/en/news/wales-u...en/news/&pos=6

Wales U17 will play two international friendly matches against Scotland later this month at Stebonheath Park in Llanelli.

The first match will take place on Wednesday, 20 September with a 5:00pm kick off. The second encounter will be played on Friday, 22 September at 12:00pm.

Robert Page will take charge of the team for the matches against Scotland and has named a squad that contains several players who have made the step up from the U16 team that contested last season's Victory Shield.

Admission is free for both matches.

The Wales U17 Squad is as follows:

Luke Burton (Shrewsbury Town)
    Scott Reed (Swansea City)
    Ryan Bevan (Swansea City)
    Michael Ellery (Everton)
    Ryan Astley (Everton)
    Edward Jones (Everton)
    Morgan Boyes (Liverpool)
    Isaak Davies (Cardiff City)
    Keenan Patten (Cardiff City)
    Lewis Collins (Newport County)
    Terry Taylor (Wolverhampton Wanderers)
    Ryan Barrett (Newcastle United)
    Matthew Sargent (Wrexham)
    Jack Vale (Blackburn Rovers)
    Lewis Clutton (Bristol Rovers)
    Callum Watts (Southampton)
    Joe Adams (Bury)
    Nico Williams (Liverpool)
    Dan Griffiths (Liverpool)
    Cameron Evans (Swansea City)

A very old Under 23 side today at Burnley!

https://twitter.com/CardiffCityDVP?r...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

A very old Under 23 side today at Burnley!

Good to see, Camp, Harris and Patterson playing after injury. Also to see Halford, Pilkington and Bogle getting a game.

Quote Originally Posted by cardiff55 View Post
    Good to see, Camp, Harris and Patterson playing after injury. Also to see Halford, Pilkington and Bogle getting a game.
    Harris is not Kadeem. But yes, good to see the others continuing their road to full fitness.

1 nil up o.g.

Final score 4-0, Bogle, Pilkington and Harris with late goals for City - seems like the og has been given to Bogle as well now.

Final score 4-0, Bogle, Pilkington and Harris with late goals for City - seems like the og has been given to Bogle as well now.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...-on-18-sep-17/

A 2-2 draw at Birmingham for the Academy this afternoon as they continue to draw their away matches and lose their home ones. The game was shown live on Birmingham's website, but I take it you had to become a subscriber to their version of IFollow to watch it.

https://twitter.com/CF11Academy?ref_...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Sam Bowen started for Wales Under 17s yesterday in their 2-0 defeat by Scotland, but it sounds like Isaak Davies made a good impression when he came on as a sub.

http://www.faw.cymru/en/news/wales-u...inst-scotland/

Blue in the Face

Forgot about this international. That report is encouraging on Isaak. Apparently Keenan Patten withdrew through injury. There were a few other withdrawals also. Two City players were added - Sams Bowen & Parsons. Taylor who played for them has played for Wales youth sides before but it looks like he may have chosen Scotland now. Wolves just pinched him off Aberdeen... Another Scotland - Wales game tomorrow, but I'm not hopeful of a link. Will post one if I can find one.

I do wonder what the lack of academy and DVP content on the Cardiff iplayer is about? We get these highlight vids which are very very short. But would that not take more labour to employ an editor to cut these vids together? So it about CCFC being jippos with the server space? Or are they perhaps protecting our youngsters from too much exposure too soon. If it's the latter, then fair enough. But if they are penny pinching then that's really annoying considering that other clubs are giving their subscribers full games and even live games.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Forgot about this international. That report is encouraging on Isaak. Apparently Keenan Patten withdrew through injury. There were a few other withdrawals also. Two City players were added - Sams Bowen & Parsons. Taylor who played for them has played for Wales youth sides before but it looks like he may have chosen Scotland now. Wolves just pinched him off Aberdeen... Another Scotland - Wales game tomorrow, but I'm not hopeful of a link. Will post one if I can find one.

I do wonder what the lack of academy and DVP content on the Cardiff iplayer is about? We get these highlight vids which are very very short. But would that not take more labour to employ an editor to cut these vids together? So it about CCFC being jippos with the server space? Or are they perhaps protecting our youngsters from too much exposure too soon. If it's the latter, then fair enough. But if they are penny pinching then that's really annoying considering that other clubs are giving their subscribers full games and even live games.
    The coverage of the sides we have below first team level is exactly the same on IFollow as it's been for years under the different names they've given schemes whereby you pay for video on the club's website - I'm used to it, so I think the coverage is certainly no worse than what I've watched on there for years. However, I'd say that the quality of coverage of and features on the first team is slightly worse on IFollow than it has been in the past - having just paid my increased subscription, I'd say IFollow is poorer value for someone like me who is a UK based City fan.

The Development team are at home to Charlton this afternoon at Leckwith, ko 2pm. I would not expect it to be such an experienced side as last week today, but, unless you were up at Burnley watching the Under 23s last Monday, this should be a first chance to see Lee Camp in action for us and I'd have thought Callum Paterson would be involved again as well.

I would like to say thank you for putting all this content up here. It's great to be able to come to one place., to check the age grade progress.Thank you.

A bit of a mixed bag this weekend for the younger age groups against Swansea this weekend. The u9s 10s and 12s lost and the u11s 13s and 14s won.

Camp, Paterson and Pilkington all starting today.

Camp, Paterson and Pilkington all starting today.

I don't recognise a few of the names in the Cardiff squad - maybe I'm just not paying attention, or have they signed a few out-of-contract trialists in recent times? Is Reynolds a new name? Also some of the bench players....?

Blue in the Face

The coverage of the sides we have below first team level is exactly the same on IFollow as it's been for years under the different names they've given schemes whereby you pay for video on the club's website - I'm used to it, so I think the coverage is certainly no worse than what I've watched on there for years. However, I'd say that the quality of coverage of and features on the first team is slightly worse on IFollow than it has been in the past - having just paid my increased subscription, I'd say IFollow is poorer value for someone like me who is a UK based City fan.
    My gripe is born out of jealousy. Ifollow is like for like with Player on the City front. I'm just envious of other clubs who have substantially more youth content than us, showing us is can be done. I'm sure the extra subscribers we could garner from this kind of content could offset the cost of producing it.

Blue in the Face

Cardiff DVP 2-1 up against Charlton after half an hour. Pilks scores from Veale's corner. Mark Harris made his own penalty.

Sounds like a cracker this afternoon. City went from 2-0 up to 3-2 down, Pilkington then missed a penalty to equalise and has just scored to make it 3-3 with 20 minutes left.

Pilks hat trick. 4-3 city!

Amazing game, City started well and looked set for a big win when Pilkington and Harris (pen) scored inside the first fifteen minutes, but Charlton have dominated the Under 18 and Under 23 leagues for some time and are always strong opponents - they quickly got it back to 2-1.

Then, with the game not half an hour old, Mark Harris was shown a straight red card, while the Charlton player involved got a yellow (sorry to do a Wenger, but I genuinely didn't see the incident). Charlton quickly leveled and only one outcome seemed possible at that time.

City made it to half time all square though and then came out to dominate the opening stages of the second period only for the visitors to go in front against the run of play.

There was more drama then when Cameron Coxe was brought down. At first it looked like the ref had played an advantage, but then he awarded City a free kick on the edge of the box when it had seemed obvious that the offence had taken place inside the box. After consulting his linesman, the ref changed his mind and pointed to the spot only for the Charlton keeper to guess right and make a fine save from Pilk's pen.

Pilkington was to have the last laugh though as he, first, equalised following a lovely bit of skill and a shot that took a deflection and then he completed his hat trick when he jumped for a high ball with the keeper who dropped it and presented him with a tap in for his hat trick.

City held on for the win, but deep into added time, Ryan Reynolds (jon, Reynolds is a Welsh youth international who we signed after he was released by Everton) suffered what seemed to be a serious injury in innocuous circumstances as he stretched to try and intercept a pass. The lengthy treatment he received meant that the second half had gone on for more than an hour and it was desperate luck on the youngster that there was only time for Charlton to take a free kick when the game eventually restarted before the final whistle blew.

Charlton may have had the benefit of some decisions (e.g. when the ref showed leniency to the player he booked in the Harris incident after a show of petulance shortly after his side went 4-3 down), but, on another day, the winning goal could easily have been disallowed for a foul on the keeper.

I've got to congratulate the two outfield senior players in the team as well for their brilliant attitude throughout - Callum Paterson came through a clash of heads so loud that we heard it fifty yards away and played the ninety minutes (actually it was more like one hundred and five!), while Pilks showed his commitment by haranguing the linesman for not disallowing Charlton's first goal for offside - it was great entertainment, made more enjoyable by the company I had, but I hope Reynold's injury isn't as bad as it looked.

Blog article on yesterday's game.

Thanks Bob. Someone else I know who was there also commented on how good Pilkington and Patterson's attitude were yesterday.

He said they proper took charge and this is great to hear particularly in the case of Pilkington whose attitude I have often wondered about.

I hope this attitude earns him a place in the squad again.