Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
Which, I'm sure, is exactly the point that Bellamy has been making to the club over and over again. To be fair, I think (hope?) the under-23 set-up is starting to move in the right direction now. There seems to be a settled squad of around 16 contracted players at last and the more they train and play together the more things should improve.

As I said, the balance of that squad isn't great but at least we seem to be moving away from the endless changes & trials that have dogged that age group this year. Most of the lads are only on short term contracts, I think, so there's every incentive for them to impress quickly. Those that don't will presumably make way for the Academy lads coming up next year. Now we've just got to hope they won't be expected to play the kind of parks football that they were moving towards last season. How's the style of play been this season so far?
I've not seen any improvements in style of play from last season yet and I've also not seen anything to indicate that the team has improved from what we had when we were picking locally produced youngsters - in fact, performance and results have dipped significantly at this level since Neil Warnock arrived. We may have a bit of continuity in selection this season and, eventually, that may lead to improvements, but potential first team footballers? I don't see that happening for a couple of reasons, first, City don't give first team debuts in league matches to anyone who hasn't been signed recently these days and, second, although I still have some hopes for Cameron Coxe if they stopped using him as a (f)utility player, there's no one at that level playing well enough to break through into senior football at league level.