+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 20 of 164 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070120 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Blue in the Face

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    Edited before you replied.

If deemed good enough, he should be playing for DVP. Maybe they've seen things in training that have changed that view. Who knows?
    Not necessarily and not really in this case. Read Loramski's posts above. It's quite possible he's being held back for perfectly good reasons. Bellamy is managing him for the 18s which could be the perfect mentor for him given the positions he's taking up on the pitch. He's obviously good enough for the DVP.

My hunch is they are trying to nurture that unusually talented younger crop together.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    It's not a case of me being right or wrong. To me, it's plain that the club had one plan for Spence's development at the end of last season and now they have a completely different one - as the two approaches are so different, I believe it's impossible to argue that what are seeing is some smoothly operating plan that was mapped out months in advance.
    It was very strange indeed. Maybe it was just a simple cock up with insurance? You'd know more than me I'm sure.

Hopefully the player will benefit long term by having the carrot dangled. It's a young age to be chucked into the limelight. That said, it is good to raise the profile of our youngsters so that they attract loan clubs when they're ready.

I'm not sure that's necessarily effective though - could well be holding up someone's progression towards the first team in the hope of producing a crop akin to the group Fergie had success from - and then nothing for years.

It's amazing if you can get a group of 5-6 coming through who can make the first team in one intake but it's a bloody rarity. We don't do that kind of luck.

I always take youth reports with a prince of salt (as much as I enjoy the work you put in) for reasons hinted at above:
    players with potential can end up at weston-super-mare while superstars of tomorrow can so easily have their journeys diverted or paused - if that is what has happened.

Regarding the Wales result, the one comment I saw was that the Dutch had a basketball size centre forward and I wonder if that changed how the game was played. Does 0 shots sound hopeful? No and yet again we are looking to see if we squeeze into the next round.

Still youth football is being recognised as vitally important around the world and I am glad we seem to have seen this and made what look like good moves while a few nations have let it slip them by, for example the US team seems to be heavily criticised for the youth set-up since failing to make the world cup.

Blue in the Face

Don't forget though Surge, a lot of players who could legitimately play in that game against the Dutch have been fast tracked to higher age groups and even the seniors. Wales will always generally give the appearance of being weaker at the younger age groups because of this. But also more so because our eternal weakness of depth is heightened because the players involved can only be from something like a two year age margin. So it exaggerates our poor depth. There still could be one or two in that group that could get to a high level and who may be showing strong potential now. The u21 team in which we had Gunter, Rambo and Ched Evans had players that didn't turn pro.

I'm extremely optimistic about the next generation of Welsh talent. Mainly because of the depth seems strong given how many players at 20 - 22 are getting league football. We still need some of those guys to make it to the highest level of we are to emulate this lot. But at least it looks like we could have a bigger than usual pot to draw from.

We need to wait and see if we can get excited about talent at Cardiff. Like you say, players who we have hope for can drop off. We got overly hopeful before but things seem better managed now (hopefully!)

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I always take youth reports with a prince of salt (as much as I enjoy the work you put in) for reasons hinted at above:
    players with potential can end up at weston-super-mare while superstars of tomorrow can so easily have their journeys diverted or paused - if that is what has happened.

Regarding the Wales result, the one comment I saw was that the Dutch had a basketball size centre forward and I wonder if that changed how the game was played. Does 0 shots sound hopeful? No and yet again we are looking to see if we squeeze into the next round.

Still youth football is being recognised as vitally important around the world and I am glad we seem to have seen this and made what look like good moves while a few nations have let it slip them by, for example the US team seems to be heavily criticised for the youth set-up since failing to make the world cup.
    I agree, it's all about opinions, but facts should help you form those opinions and the facts about Spence are that at 16 he was a regular member of our Development team squad, he was stopped from being a sub for the first team in a league game for "insurance" reasons and he was starting games for Wales Under 19s - I can't think of a City player of that age who has managed two of those things since Aaron Ramsey. I'm not saying Spence is another Ramsey in the making, but he appears to be not just making an impact at his club, but also his country and, if nothing else, the way his season has gone so far at City has to raise questions, given how the previous one ended for him.

Anyway, here's my blog piece on last night's Under 15 match.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

I agree, it's all about opinions, but facts should help you form those opinions and the facts about Spence are that at 16 he was a regular member of our Development team squad, he was stopped from being a sub for the first team in a league game for "insurance" reasons and he was starting games for Wales Under 19s - I can't think of a City player of that age who has managed two of those things since Aaron Ramsey. I'm not saying Spence is another Ramsey in the making, but he appears to be not just making an impact at his club, but also his country and, if nothing else, the way his season has gone so far at City has to raise questions, given how the previous one ended for him.

As I kept saying to you at the game , I couldn`t believe how small that substitute was - he looked no more than 10 years of age. But to be fair to him , not only could he play a bit but he got stuck in to tackles with players up to a foot taller than him and probably twice his weight (for those not there, Paul can confirm that this is not an exaggeration).

All the players from both sides tried to play football on the ground , with good movement and passing and were a credit to their clubs.

Blue in the Face

...Anyway, here's my blog piece on last night's Under 15 match.

Terrific report! I hadn't heard of almost all of these players. Really great to read about this generation for the first time. Some great original surnames in there too.

Excellent report Paul as ever. It is interesting to see that your report has been replicated over on ****, duly credited to yourself, but your references to the stature of some of the players has drawn a criticism of you being «*heightist*». A new first for you !!

Hi Bob

I watched the first half last night but had to go home as I was with my little lad.

The little right back you referred to was Ethan Vaughan not Dignadice.

I think I'm right in saying that all the st

Sion Spence has tweeted that he trained with the first team yesterday, which is a little odd given his lack of u23 involvement. Maybe they're protecting him/growing pains maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    Sion Spence has tweeted that he trained with the first team yesterday, which is a little odd given his lack of u23 involvement. Maybe they're protecting him/growing pains maybe?
    Very interesting that about him training with the first team.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Hi Bob

I watched the first half last night but had to go home as I was with my little lad.

The little right back you referred to was Ethan Vaughan not Dignadice.

I think I'm right in saying that all the st
    I relied entirely on the team sheet that was handed out Gringo, because I didn't recognise any of our players, but, for me, the number five played at right back and it was him I was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch Mort View Post
    Excellent report Paul as ever. It is interesting to see that your report has been replicated over on ****, duly credited to yourself, but your references to the stature of some of the players has drawn a criticism of you being «*heightist*». A new first for you !!
    Hello Rob. As all of the players on show last night have not stopped growing yet, I think they should be accusing me of ageism, not heightism - thinking about it, I also mentioned the part of the body which Rhys Schwank hit his late shot which almost won the game for City with, so, as well as apologising for being ageist/heightist, I should also say sorry for my rightfootism too.

Sorry Bob I was half way through posting when I must have posted it on accident. I can't remember what number he was but the small kid that played right back in the first half was definitely Ethan Vaughan.

I think I'm right in saying that all the starting 11 were u15 last night but Rhys Schwank, Caleb Hughes and Jac Clay who were all on the subs bench were a year younger.

Eli King and Ntazana Mayembe both played against Swansea u16 last season in the game we watched at Leckwith.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Sorry Bob I was half way through posting when I must have posted it on accident. I can't remember what number he was but the small kid that played right back in the first half was definitely Ethan Vaughan.

I think I'm right in saying that all the starting 11 were u15 last night but Rhys Schwank, Caleb Hughes and Jac Clay who were all on the subs bench were a year younger.

Eli King and Ntazana Mayembe both played against Swansea u16 last season in the game we watched at Leckwith.
    Fair enough, I was definitely talking about the boy who was wearing the number five shirt, so I'll change my reference to him being right back to just his shirt number. I said to Keith that I thought the number eleven might be the boy who played centre forward in that win over Swansea last season - he got switched to striker from the wing late on and had two efforts on goal within a few minutes, the first, which was well struck, but straight at the keeper came after what I thought was the best move either side put together in the game and then he had another effort turned aside by the keeper on his near post for a corner.

For those who subscribe to ifollow highlights of Spence's hatrick against Ipswich are there. Three extremely well taken goals. He appears equally at home with the ball at his left or right foot.

Quote Originally Posted by emjayblue View Post
    For those who subscribe to ifollow highlights of Spence's hatrick against Ipswich are there. Three extremely well taken goals. He appears equally at home with the ball at his left or right foot.
    Been looking forward to watching this all week and was beginning to think that it hadn't been filmed - thanks for letting us know . They were all well taken goals, but I'd say the first one was the pick of the bunch - what a goal by Pilkington on Monday as well.

Been looking forward to watching this all week and was beginning to think that it hadn't been filmed - thanks for letting us know . They were all well taken goals, but I'd say the first one was the pick of the bunch - what a goal by Pilkington on Monday as well.
    Just seen that now, what a screamer! He's bagged quite a few for the Development Squad lately. We are not exactly blessed with options up field, so I wonder if he can force his way back into contention especially as we have drawn blanks in our last two outings. As you say further up this thread very interesting that Spence is now training with the first team squad too.

The Academy team are at home to Colchester today at 11 am with the venue given as the House of Sport, so I'm assuming it'll be on the pitch which runs adjacent to Leckwith Road - otherwise, it must mean that they're playing on one of the artificial pitches under that cover which was put up recently.

2 nil up - Davies with first from Spence cross. Spence with pen for the second after he himself was brought down in box. Sounds like the lad has benefited from his week training with the first team this week.

3 - 0 Evens. Guess who assisted - Spence!!

Taken him off after 72 mins - Probably flying him up to Boro as I type!!

3 - 0 ft

My report on Saturday's Under 18 match appears at the bottom of my piece on the Middlesbrough win.

Also, the Development team entertain Watford at Cardiff City Stadium tonight, kick off 7 o clock and admission is free.

https://twitter.com/CardiffCityDVP?r...Ctwgr%5Eauthor