+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 27 of 164 FirstFirst ... 17181920212223242526272829303132333435363777127 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Quote Originally Posted by bluethrough View Post
    Forever known as Obi 1
    Finished 1-1 they equalised on 90 mins it wasn't knobey who scored either!

Quote Originally Posted by emjayblue View Post
    Finished 1-1 they equalised on 90 mins it wasn't knobey who scored either!
    Decent game I thought, no great quality but very competitive. Obi took his goal well, looks quick and skilful. I'm not sure if he can pass yet, maybe we'll find that out another day. Meite missed a couple of chances in the first half but we played better as the game went on and should've finished the game off before Watford equalised with one of their few shots on goal. The ref let them take a quick free kick yards from where the foul took place and they scored from the resulting break.

No stand-out performers for us but everyone did ok. I haven't seen an attendance figure given but my gut feeling was that it was down from Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Decent game I thought, no great quality but very competitive. Obi took his goal well, looks quick and skilful. I'm not sure if he can pass yet, maybe we'll find that out another day. Meite missed a couple of chances in the first half but we played better as the game went on and should've finished the game off before Watford equalised with one of their few shots on goal. The ref let them take a quick free kick yards from where the foul took place and they scored from the resulting break.

No stand-out performers for us but everyone did ok. I haven't seen an attendance figure given but my gut feeling was that it was down from Sunday.
    Lol, thanks for the report, bloody plastics gearing up for the egg chasing on Saturday no doubt!

Lol, thanks for the report, bloody plastics gearing up for the egg chasing on Saturday no doubt!
    Cheap tickets today too, what more can the club do? Bring back Velikonja, it's the only answer.

For anyone who's interested the team today was;

Burwood, Coxe, Abbruzzese, Brown, McKay, Evans, Rowe, Waite, McLean, Meite and Mark Harris. Obi and a very beefed up Lloyd Humphries came on as subs.

The two new (to me) trialists were Danny Rowe, who's just been released by QPR, and Scott McLean, who was at Kilmarnock. Rowe looked like he had a bit about him and had a decent shot, McLean came more into the game as it went on and should've been put in by both Harris and Obi.

I think I saw Tyrone Duffus on crutches today which is a shame if so. He had a promising start here and a promising start to his loan spell at Hereford in November but two injuries there look to have ended his season.

My take on yesterday's game.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

The Development team beat QPR 3-2 at Leckwith this afternoon, but they came very close to continuing their habit of throwing away leads as they decided to down tools after they were 3-0 up at half time thanks to goals by the Harris' - Mark scored two with the second one being a penalty and Kadeem got the other one. QPR's goals were scored by a certain Jay Emmanuel-Thomas who is even less mobile now than he was when he was with us, but, just like then, there were the occasional moments of class from him, including the best goal of the game when curled a shot in from twenty five yards - his other goal was a penalty.

My review of yesterday's Development team game;-

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    My review of yesterday's Development team game;-

Excellent write-up, thanks. How did Obi do? Do you see a future for him here or is it still too early to say?

I agree with the last paragraph completely. I'm not convinced it's a great idea to recruit released 20-21 year-olds but I think 'a bad plan is better than no plan' applies here. I'd much rather see the club try something different at that level than let things drift aimlessly on as they were.

Excellent write-up, thanks. How did Obi do? Do you see a future for him here or is it still too early to say?

I agree with the last paragraph completely. I'm not convinced it's a great idea to recruit released 20-21 year-olds but I think 'a bad plan is better than no plan' applies here. I'd much rather see the club try something different at that level than let things drift aimlessly on as they were.
    Putting it brutally, I thought Obi was hopeless when he came on and he didn't improve much in the hour or so he was on the pitch - he was one of the players I had in mind when I talked about forwards being greedy in the second half. This was a disappointment, because I thought he did pretty well against Watford - my understanding is that while Brown and the McKay twins have been given two and a half year contracts, Obi's only goes to the end of this season. I mention Brown and Paul McKay look to be improvements on what we had in my piece and I've not seen enough of Jack McKay (who has been injured for much of his time here) to tell one way or another yet, but, based on what I've seen of Obi, I don't see him as being better than what we had.

City are in the Semi Finals of the Welsh Youth Cup along with Airbus, Connahs Quay Nomads and the jacks after beating Aberystwyth 7-0 at Leckwith yesterday. Sam Bowen got two of the goals and Pinchard (a name I've not come across before) also found the net, but it was Sion Spence with four who took the headlines - he's now got twenty goals in all competitions this season.

According to the club website, there's lunchtime matches at Leckwith tomorrow and on Thursday - the Under 18s take on Millwall tomorrow with a midday kick, while it's a one o clock start on Thursday when the Under 23s face Coventry.

If anyone was thinking of going along to today's Academy team game, there's been a change of venue and kick off time - it's now at the Vale, kick off 1 o clock according to Twitter.

A really hard fought 1-0 win for the Under 18s this afternoon over a strong Millwall team - Sion Spence scored his twenty first goal of the season in all competitions to settle the game early in the second half and so it's now five wins in five games for the Academy team.

The large majority of today's team will be in the side which travels to North Wales to face Airbus UK in the Semi Finals of the Welsh Youth Cup next month - Connahs Quay host Swansea in the other Semi with both of them to be played on 18 March.

5 wins in a row is impressive at any level. We could do with the first team going on a similar run. We're not exactly blessed with goal scoring midfielders do you think Spence is knocking on the door of our first team squad yet Bob?

5 wins in a row is impressive at any level. We could do with the first team going on a similar run. We're not exactly blessed with goal scoring midfielders do you think Spence is knocking on the door of our first team squad yet Bob?
    I doubt it. There's definitely a deliberate policy to keep Under 18 team players at that level this season, whereas this time last season Spence, and a few others in the Academy side, were appearing for the Development team quite regularly. Maybe if our season tails off and we have a few meaningless games come April and May like we did last year we may see someone like Spence given a game, but I'd be very surprised if any of our youngsters made a first team debut if we're still challenging for a top six finish.

I doubt it. There's definitely a deliberate policy to keep Under 18 team players at that level this season, whereas this time last season Spence, and a few others in the Academy side, were appearing for the Development team quite regularly. Maybe if our season tails off and we have a few meaningless games come April and May like we did last year we may see someone like Spence given a game, but I'd be very surprised if any of our youngsters made a first team debut if we're still challenging for a top six finish.
    Guess it makes sense, especially given the expected return of midfielders Gunners and Bryson soon. Not sure I agree with holding back prospects from the Academy Team into the Development squad though. To my mind it would do them good to see how they cope, especially with the increased physicality the opposition would provide.

I'd rather see Spence on the bench than the likes of Halford

My report on today's match.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that today's Development team match at Leckwith was a one o clock kick off, but it's not - the Development team Twitter site is now saying it'll start at two.

City won this afternoon's game 2-0 with first half goals by Ogo Obl and Kadeem Harris. Craig Bryson played about seventy minutes, Matt Connolly forty five and Kadeem went off with about ten minutes - Max Johnstone of Man United, brother of Villa keeper Sam, was in goals for City.

City won this afternoon's game 2-0 with first half goals by Ogo Obl and Kadeem Harris. Craig Bryson played about seventy minutes, Matt Connolly forty five and Kadeem went off with about ten minutes - Max Johnstone of Man United, brother of Villa keeper Sam, was in goals for City.
    Hope Max shares his brothers attributes. The best goalkeeping performance I have seen all season was that of Sam Johstone. Although we scored 3 on the day, if it wasn't for his brilliance we'd have scored at least 6. So is Max on trial, not a name I have seen previously?

Hope Max shares his brothers attributes. The best goalkeeping performance I have seen all season was that of Sam Johstone. Although we scored 3 on the day, if it wasn't for his brilliance we'd have scored at least 6. So is Max on trial, not a name I have seen previously?
    Yes. He did ok too. Difficult day for keepers, they played the game on the pitch next to the big blue tenty thing and the wind was howling around there but both keepers coped well. Coventry were poor and we could've scored double figures but Johnstone was tested a few times and had to work for his clean sheet.

Kadeem Harris showed, yet again, that he's far too good for that level. Wasteful in front of goal but he looked sharp. Warnock and Blackwell were there today, I'm sure they'd have been happy with the performances of both Harris and Bryson. Mark Harris was busy up front for us and I thought Obi was decent too, made an effort to link up more today and looked better for it.

Yes. He did ok too. Difficult day for keepers, they played the game on the pitch next to the big blue tenty thing and the wind was howling around there but both keepers coped well. Coventry were poor and we could've scored double figures but Johnstone was tested a few times and had to work for his clean sheet.

Kadeem Harris showed, yet again, that he's far too good for that level. Wasteful in front of goal but he looked sharp. Warnock and Blackwell were there today, I'm sure they'd have been happy with the performances of both Harris and Bryson. Mark Harris was busy up front for us and I thought Obi was decent too, made an effort to link up more today and looked better for it.
    Thanks for that report fella. Both the Development and Academy are stringing victories together now which is good to see. Encouraging news on the return from injury of both Kadeem and Bryson although with just 48 hours before the Boro game I doubt either will get a place on the bench yet especially as both are returning from long term injuries.

If the finishing had been better, there could have been an avalanche of goals today but at least it was entertaining until the closing stages. If it had been rubbish I'd have gone home early because it was bloody freezing down there - experienced players like Connolly, Bryson and Stuart Beavon of Coventry must have found it difficult to work up any enthusiasm.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    If the finishing had been better, there could have been an avalanche of goals today but at least it was entertaining until the closing stages. If it had been rubbish I'd have gone home early because it was bloody freezing down there - experienced players like Connolly, Bryson and Stuart Beavon of Coventry must have found it difficult to work up any enthusiasm.
    Surprised to find Coventry in third place in our league, they were very poor I thought. We're up to 5th now and starting to look like a strong, well organised squad after a shambolic early season that was testing all of our patience. The proof of the pudding, as always, will be whether some of these lads can push on to the first team but it feels like it's going in the right direction for now.

Good to see Warnock and Blackwell there. I heard Warnock talking about you and TOBW at one point. He said you're the brains of the outfit but TOBW takes all the glory. Sounded about right.

Here's the table.

https://www.flashscores.co.uk/footba...gue/standings/

If anyone wants to read TOBW's report, it's under the quiz here.

Surprised to find Coventry in third place in our league, they were very poor I thought. We're up to 5th now and starting to look like a strong, well organised squad after a shambolic early season that was testing all of our patience. The proof of the pudding, as always, will be whether some of these lads can push on to the first team but it feels like it's going in the right direction for now.

Good to see Warnock and Blackwell there. I heard Warnock talking about you and TOBW at one point. He said you're the brains of the outfit but TOBW takes all the glory. Sounded about right.

Here's the table.

https://www.flashscores.co.uk/footba...gue/standings/

If anyone wants to read TOBW's report, it's under the quiz here.

Funny, the Slumdog says much the same as well - I did use one of his lines once.

Thanks for putting that table on here - all of a sudden we're in the run in for a Play Off place.

The Under 18s have a chance as well - they've a few matches in hand;-

http://www.betstudy.com/soccer-stats...ment-league-2/