+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

In the first game played by the Development or Academy team in 2017, the Under 18s were thrashed 6-0 yesterday by Charlton I'm afraid. More often than not, it's Charlton that top the league we play in at this level, so a heavy defeat might have been expected, but it becomes more understandable when you see the team that was picked;-

"Burwood: Madden, J. Davies, Patten, Sharif, Gidman, Williams, Wootton, I. Davies, Spence, C. Davies. subs. Jones, Ratclifffe, Evans, Bowen, C. Williams."

Looking at those names, I'd say only Sion Spence has been a regular starter at Under 18 level before yesterday this season, while Isaak Davies was selected for a few matches before Christmas, but even they are still young enough to play for our Under 16s this season.

I can only assume that those who have made up the large majority of our Under 18 side up to now are going to be in the squad which travels to London for the Development team's game, also against Charlton who are leaders of their section, tomorrow.

It might be that this weekend will see the first real evidence of the overhaul of the Under 23 team that was promised before Christmas. If we suddenly start fielding an Under 23 team made up mostly of teenagers, then it follows that, in a similar way to yesterday, the side will suffer in the short term to medium term as they struggle to come to terms with the new level they are playing at. However, given the complete failure of the "old" system when it came to producing first team footballers for Cardiff City, I hope patience is shown by all concerned if things appear to be going badly at first.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 08-01-17 at 07:32.