+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 38 of 164 FirstFirst ... 28293031323334353637383940414243444546474888138 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    TOBW may have a better idea of what's going to happen here. The last two times we've met in the final, one was in Cardiff and one was in Swansea, hardly neutral venues. Maybe those grounds had already been designated as the final venue but if there's some kind of agreement between the clubs that we take turns to host a 'neutral' game then it should be our turn this season, hopefully that's the case. We'll never have a better chance of beating them I'd have thought.
    Last year's semis were played on neutral grounds I believe. Also, it looks like the score I gave for the jacks v Merthyr match (which I took off Twitter) was wrong - this piece by Terry Phillips, who is pretty clued in about age group football, says it finished 5-1.

http://www.dai-sport.com/bluebirds-f...uth-cup-semis/

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Last year's semis were played on neutral grounds I believe. Also, it looks like the score I gave for the jacks v Merthyr match (which I took off Twitter) was wrong - this piece by Terry Phillips, who is pretty clued in about age group football, says it finished 5-1.

http://www.dai-sport.com/bluebirds-f...uth-cup-semis/
    The semis are due to be played on neutral grounds, yes. Just wondered if that will happen or if one of the clubs will host it, as has happened in recent finals.

You mentioned Dan Martin earlier, he qualifies for it by nine days. I guess Bodenham wont be involved but Wootton should be which could give us a team of Ratcliffe/Burwood, C Davies, Reynolds, Bagan, Margetson, Martin, Bowen, Patten, Wootton, Spence and Griffiths with a host of players left to cover any injuries and fill the bench. A very strong looking line-up.

I've seen a bit of Swansea u18s and if Dan Williams is banned for the semi final that will be a massive blow for them. I think he's their best player by some distance.

I see Rubin Colwill, who looked a bit naive when he first came into the team at the start of the season but was developing into an influential player before he disappeared for a few months (presumably because of injury), came on as a sub against Llanelli, but there's still no sign of Ryan Reynolds and Isaak Davies who have both been out since about a month before Christmas - maybe Aaron Bolger could play as well (he certainly qualifies by age)?

Just watched the highlights of the Llanelli game. Besides scoring, Dan Martin was involved in the creation of about five of the other goals and was popping up all over the pitch - there were also a couple of "agricultural" tackles by Llanelli players which led to them being shown red cards.

There was one other move involving City yesterday, James Waite joined Hereford on loan until the end of the season.
    Came on for his debut tonight at half time away to York with Hereford 1-0 down but they ended up winning 2-1 with Waite getting the winner ten minutes from time.

Came on for his debut tonight at half time away to York with Hereford 1-0 down but they ended up winning 2-1 with Waite getting the winner ten minutes from time.
    will be interesting how he gets on

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    will be interesting how he gets on
    Definitely. He had a good game by the sound of it and the goal will hopefully have the home fans behind him from the start when he plays there. It's hard to get away from his size and I'm sure that has put off other teams from coming in for him but all he can do now is show off his undoubted talent as best he can. I know Hereford have struggled this season but as long as they get a certain amount of possession then Waite should do well there.

Just watched the highlights of the Llanelli game. Besides scoring, Dan Martin was involved in the creation of about five of the other goals and was popping up all over the pitch - there were also a couple of "agricultural" tackles by Llanelli players which led to them being shown red cards.
    The highlights are at this link (go to u19 FAW Cup highlights), Martin was everywhere by the look of it.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/card...video-archive/

A derby game for the Under 18s this morning when they entertain the wurzels at Leckwith, kick off at 11 o clock.

A derby game for the Under 18s this morning when they entertain the wurzels at Leckwith, kick off at 11 o clock.
    A 5-0 win with a hat-trick for Sion Spence, an own goal and a deserved goal for the indefatigable Connor Davies. Half the regulars missing so it was an impressive result, Bristol could've had a goal or two themselves but we were impressive throughout and five didn't flatter us. Spence got 90 minutes in but still doesn't quite look fully fit, he was cramping up a bit in the second half, and while he was man of the match there were good performances all round including a very entertaining hour from Rubin Colwill who, as TOBW said earlier, is coming back off an injury. I'm assuming that Rubin is the love child of Jason Fowler, I can think of no other explanation for the similarity.

This preview of the game claims we'll be playing our FAW Youth Cup semi against Swansea at home on March 10th. I'd be surprised at the date as there's a league game the day before and an under-23 game at Hull the night after. We'll see.

http://www.dai-sport.com/young-blueb...-derby-robins/

Another goal for James Waite but then a straight red later on. "Caught his man with a flailing arm" apparently. Was he on a step-ladder?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Another goal for James Waite but then a straight red later on. "Caught his man with a flailing arm" apparently. Was he on a step-ladder?
    Maybe his arm caught the guy right on the kneecap, that can hurt.

Just to say that the Development team match against Watford today is now at Cardiff City Stadium, kick off 7.00pm, with free entry for all.

Tonight's Development team match is being shown live on Cardiff City TV and non subscribers can get a free pass to watch it.

https://twitter.com/CardiffCityTV

Tonight's Development team match is being shown live on Cardiff City TV and non subscribers can get a free pass to watch it.

https://twitter.com/CardiffCityTV
    Thanks for the heads up. I registered just in time to see us go 2 down.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebirdman Of Alcathays View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I registered just in time to see us go 2 down.
    3-0 half time, we've had a lot more goal attempts than Watford, but their keepers barely had a save to make.

3-1, City piling the pressure on!

Not sure why I keep on saying we're playing Watford when I know we're playing Coventry .

2-3 - superb volley by Humprhies.

Final score 3-2 - so many chances to win that game missed.

It looked a strong team that started but O'Keefe lost the ball in midfield twice which led to their first two goals (keeper didn't do too well for those either). Damour also missed a clear cut chance and we should have been at least level at half time rather than three down. However, there seemed to be a huge improvement once those two had been replaced and I thought we were unlucky not to get at least a point. (Coventry no. 11 - Allasani - looked a good young player throughout).

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    It looked a strong team that started but O'Keefe lost the ball in midfield twice which led to their first two goals (keeper didn't do too well for those either). Damour also missed a clear cut chance and we should have been at least level at half time rather than three down. However, there seemed to be a huge improvement once those two had been replaced and I thought we were unlucky not to get at least a point. (Coventry no. 11 - Allasani - looked a good young player throughout).
    Yes, O'Keefe was an absolute clown to start with. Swore at the 17-year-old Bagan for misplacing a pass then swore at Damour for doing the same before misplacing a number of passes himself as well as letting himself get dispossessed in key areas, as you say. The turning point was dropping Humphries into defence after half an hour, he gave the two young centre halves some much needed support as well as freeing up the two full backs (who were excellent I thought) to play pretty much as wingers. Suddenly the problem of having four centre-midfielders had been solved and we were fine after that. Everyone put a shift in, Williams & Bolger got a run-out, the Academy lads didn't look out of place and we could easily have got at least a draw if we'd got our second a bit earlier. Humphries was man of the match for me, really impressed by him tonight.

I daresay if the game gets a mention on a Coventry website it will say that Cardiff had "first teamers" O'Keefe, Darmour and Healey in their side, yet I thought they were three of our weaker players.

You would have thought O'Keefe would be in a pretty good mood when you consider that this was, almost certainly, his first appearance in a long while, but, whether someone did something to annoy just before kick off I don't know, his expletives came over loud and clear on the video stream, as did his "body language" which was a picture of frustration and annoyance. The ironic thing being that, for much of the game, he passed the ball as badly on many occasions as the two team mates he berated had done once in the opening minute or two - some allowance should be made for his rustiness, but, O'Keefe didn't do himself any favours last night.

Humphries did a Connor Coady impersonation in the second half (I mean that in a good way), but I've never seen Coady score a goal like that - using him in a back three would be an experiment worth continuing with, but do you see the first team ever using a member of a back three in the way Wolves do?

I thought Dan Martin (who has done well in other games I've seen him play) was good and I'd say the team improved with the introduction of Williams and Bolger, while Mayembe didn't look out of place either when he came on.

Clive is right to question our keeper for at least one of the first two goals as well.

City Academy already 4-0 up in the first half at Palace. Ryan Reynolds back in the starting line-up, Spence, Bowen, Evans and Colwill with the goals.

City Academy already 4-0 up in the first half at Palace. Ryan Reynolds back in the starting line-up, Spence, Bowen, Evans and Colwill with the goals.
    Yes seems an impressive win :

https://www.cpfc.co.uk/news/2019/feb...cal-bluebirds/

City's Development team (they are currently only above bottom placed Colchester on goal difference) are at Millwall with a team which includes Stuart O'Keefe and new signings Dan Williams and Aaron Bolger - 0-0 after twenty minutes.