+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 163 123456789101151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Blue in the Face

The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

A thread dedicated to the Academy and u23/DVP teams.

Perhaps it might help to keep all the discussion on our young Bluebirds all in one place and on a continuous thread? Might be worth a try at least...

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/fixtu...vSideFixtures/

DVP Twitter
    https://twitter.com/CardiffCityDVP?r...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Academy Twitter
    https://twitter.com/cf11academy
    Last edited by Blue in the Face; 10-10-16 at 16:18.

Blue in the Face

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

U23s | Cardiff 0-1 Reds: Match Report (Barnsley perspective)

Read more at http://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/art...xicEizWl3W1.99

Paul Harsley's U23s side secured an excellent away victory at Cardiff!

The Reds began the match on the front foot, with Dylan Mottley-Henry on the right and Ryan Williams on the left causing Cardiff's defensive line plenty of problems.

The pace and trickery on the wings combined with the calmness on the ball from the central midfield pairing of Kay and Bird meant that the Reds settled quickly. The first chance came from Williams controlling well on the wing and crossing into the box, which forward Jacob Brown stretched for, but couldn't quite get a toe on the end of it.

The Reds had to deal with some slight pressure from the home side from crosses as well. Julio Rodriguez and Nick Townsend both did well to defend the area following a corner from the hosts.

The breakthrough came on the half hour mark. Mottley-Henry showed his blistering pace to get in behind the Cardiff defence and was brought down.

Josh Kay stepped up to take the penalty, which was saved superbly by Luke O'Reilly in the Cardiff goal but Kay was ever alert to fire home the rebound and put his side ahead.

Very little chances came before the break, meaning the Reds took in a deserved half-time lead.

HALF-TIME: Cardiff 0-1 Barnsley (Kay 36')

The second half began with the Reds again on the front-foot. Ryan Williams continued his return to action with a lively start to the second half. The winger had caused problems in the first half, but looked determined to get as much of the ball as possible throughout the next period of the match.

Romal Palmer was the link-up man as he switched a ball out wide to Williams, who beat his man and whipped a dangerous low ball into the middle.

The home defence were then really struggling to cope with the onslaught, constantly clearing their lines as quickly as possible. This gave the Reds multiple chances to put balls into the box, whether that was from corners or throw-ins.

Cardiff had a couple of chances to level during the second half, but Nick Townsend continued to dominate his area, showing determination to keep a clean sheet.

With the match coming to a close and the Reds looking to a second to seal the win, they were awarded another penalty.

Josh Kay stepped up from the spot again, but was denied by the post this time. The full-time whistle was blown shortly after, sending Paul Harsley's side back to Barnsley with a deserved three points.

Full Time: Cardiff 0-1 Barnsley (Kay 36')

Reds XI: Townsend (GK), Kebbie, Hammond, Rodriguez, Proctor, Mottley-Henry, Bird, Kay, Brown, Palmer, Williams.
    Subs: Danotche, Dolan, Rowe, Ottley.

Blue in the Face

A very young side today. Some encouraging promotions too for Welch and So Sani.

O'Reilly, Coxe, Abbruzzese, Patten (c), Blaise, Menayese, Welch, Weymans, Harris, Humphries, So Sani

SUBS: Young, Byrne, Kelly, Waite (Only four apparently)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    U23s | Cardiff 0-1 Reds: Match Report (Barnsley perspective)

Read more at http://www.barnsleyfc.co.uk/news/art...xicEizWl3W1.99

Paul Harsley's U23s side secured an excellent away victory at Cardiff!

The Reds began the match on the front foot, with Dylan Mottley-Henry on the right and Ryan Williams on the left causing Cardiff's defensive line plenty of problems.

The pace and trickery on the wings combined with the calmness on the ball from the central midfield pairing of Kay and Bird meant that the Reds settled quickly. The first chance came from Williams controlling well on the wing and crossing into the box, which forward Jacob Brown stretched for, but couldn't quite get a toe on the end of it.

The Reds had to deal with some slight pressure from the home side from crosses as well. Julio Rodriguez and Nick Townsend both did well to defend the area following a corner from the hosts.

The breakthrough came on the half hour mark. Mottley-Henry showed his blistering pace to get in behind the Cardiff defence and was brought down.

Josh Kay stepped up to take the penalty, which was saved superbly by Luke O'Reilly in the Cardiff goal but Kay was ever alert to fire home the rebound and put his side ahead.

Very little chances came before the break, meaning the Reds took in a deserved half-time lead.

HALF-TIME: Cardiff 0-1 Barnsley (Kay 36')

The second half began with the Reds again on the front-foot. Ryan Williams continued his return to action with a lively start to the second half. The winger had caused problems in the first half, but looked determined to get as much of the ball as possible throughout the next period of the match.

Romal Palmer was the link-up man as he switched a ball out wide to Williams, who beat his man and whipped a dangerous low ball into the middle.

The home defence were then really struggling to cope with the onslaught, constantly clearing their lines as quickly as possible. This gave the Reds multiple chances to put balls into the box, whether that was from corners or throw-ins.

Cardiff had a couple of chances to level during the second half, but Nick Townsend continued to dominate his area, showing determination to keep a clean sheet.

With the match coming to a close and the Reds looking to a second to seal the win, they were awarded another penalty.

Josh Kay stepped up from the spot again, but was denied by the post this time. The full-time whistle was blown shortly after, sending Paul Harsley's side back to Barnsley with a deserved three points.

Full Time: Cardiff 0-1 Barnsley (Kay 36')

Reds XI: Townsend (GK), Kebbie, Hammond, Rodriguez, Proctor, Mottley-Henry, Bird, Kay, Brown, Palmer, Williams.
    Subs: Danotche, Dolan, Rowe, Ottley.
    Well, that's one biased report on this afternoon's match and here's another one .

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

A very young side today. Some encouraging promotions too for Welch and So Sani.

O'Reilly, Coxe, Abbruzzese, Patten (c), Blaise, Menayese, Welch, Weymans, Harris, Humphries, So Sani

SUBS: Young, Byrne, Kelly, Waite (Only four apparently)
    Some interesting omissions there. I've no idea if there are any injuries and not sure if anyone other than Tommy O'Sullivan is away with Wales but it seems as though Warnock is having a look at a wide range of players. No Theo Wharton, Tom James, Jamie Bird, Dylan Rees or David Tutonda today, good for Warnock if they're all getting a chance to train with the first team. Very unsladesque (is that a word?).

Off topic a bit but one of football's most stupid rules seems to have cost us the game today. The keeper saves a penalty but the taker scores from the rebound. How many goes does he want at it? At hockey (and in penalty shoot-outs) you just have one shot which is how it should be, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Well, that's one biased report on this afternoon's match and here's another one .

Excellent write-up, thanks. Dylan Mottley-Henry is a magnificent name, it makes the defeat easier to take.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Some interesting omissions there. I've no idea if there are any injuries and not sure if anyone other than Tommy O'Sullivan is away with Wales but it seems as though Warnock is having a look at a wide range of players. No Theo Wharton, Tom James, Jamie Bird, Dylan Rees or David Tutonda today, good for Warnock if they're all getting a chance to train with the first team. Very unsladesque (is that a word?).

Off topic a bit but one of football's most stupid rules seems to have cost us the game today. The keeper saves a penalty but the taker scores from the rebound. How many goes does he want at it? At hockey (and in penalty shoot-outs) you just have one shot which is how it should be, of course.
    Theo Wharton is away with the Under 21s and I think Tutonda is injured, but not sure why the others were missing. I'd be surprised if it was down to Neil Warnock's orders though - no sign of him at the game, but there was a decent crowd there, so it's possible he may have been there and I missed him.

Theo Wharton is away with the Under 21s and I think Tutonda is injured, but not sure why the others were missing. I'd be surprised if it was down to Neil Warnock's orders though - no sign of him at the game, but there was a decent crowd there, so it's possible he may have been there and I missed him.
    I'm not expecting to see great football in the near future but I've seen a few things about Warnock in the past week that make me realise he's been a bit more random over the years than I'd thought. For example, I'd forgotten that he gave 15-year-old John Bostock his debut then his first start within a month of taking over at Palace, credit to him for that. Surely any decent manager would bring some of the more promising youngsters in to train with the first team when he takes over? Not only does it give him a chance to weigh up his options but it gives encouragement to all young players at the club as well as competition for some of the first-teamers who may be taking their places for granted.

Blue in the Face

Thanks Paul! I can't see this thread working without your contributions. But if you think your blog isn't getting enough attention it could have by starting individual threads then of course ditch this idea. My hope is we can have an ongoing log of all the DVP stuff, your write ups being the main content. I'll also add all the youtube vids of the highlight reels from this season when I get the time.

I'm really encouraged from having read your write up. That is the youngest DVP side I can remember us fielding in a long long time. Great to see some young faces promoted and also getting international recognition. Do you think the likes of Coxe, Welch and So Sani are ready to do well at this level? It seems Coxe has been a stand out player at the younger age groups in the past. He reminds me a little of a young Mark Delaney.

It sounds like Weymans is now starting to do well too and has versatility on his side. What do you think his best position might end up being?

Thanks Paul! I can't see this thread working without your contributions. But if you think your blog isn't getting enough attention it could have by starting individual threads then of course ditch this idea. My hope is we can have an ongoing log of all the DVP stuff, your write ups being the main content. I'll also add all the youtube vids of the highlight reels from this season when I get the time.

I'm really encouraged from having read your write up. That is the youngest DVP side I can remember us fielding in a long long time. Great to see some young faces promoted and also getting international recognition. Do you think the likes of Coxe, Welch and So Sani are ready to do well at this level? It seems Coxe has been a stand out player at the younger age groups in the past. He reminds me a little of a young Mark Delaney.

It sounds like Weymans is now starting to do well too and has versatility on his side. What do you think his best position might end up being?
    No, I think it's a good idea to have one thread about the lower level teams at the club in the same way as we did that one about Glamorgan during the cricket season - I don't mind putting my blog pieces on Academy and Development teams on here either.

I'm not sure that yesterday was the best time to judge how well or otherwise the Academy lads will do at the higher level because, having checked the Barnsley side, they only had two players with any first team experience in their team, so, in many ways, it was just another age group game. The Birmingham team that beat our Under 23s 4-0 about a month ago had a smattering of first teamers in it and I think it's probably matches like that which give you a better idea as to who the youngsters are that rise to a challenge rather than be intimidated by it.

That's a good comparison for Cameron Coxe, who is very attack minded - Barnsley were dangerous down their flanks and he had his hands full defensively at times because he was up against one of that pair of first teamers I mentioned earlier, but, much like his team, he grew into the game as it went on and was able to do more of what he is best at in the second half before he was substituted.

Based on what I've seen so far this season, a decision looks to have been made that City see Weymans as a midfielder rather than a full back - he played central midfield yesterday and has operated on the left at times. He's more of an influence in games this season and there's nearly always one or two moments of skill which really stand out from him, but the game still passes him by at times.

Blue in the Face

No, I think it's a good idea to have one thread about the lower level teams at the club in the same way as we did that one about Glamorgan during the cricket season - I don't mind putting my blog pieces on Academy and Development teams on here either.

I'm not sure that yesterday was the best time to judge how well or otherwise the Academy lads will do at the higher level because, having checked the Barnsley side, they only had two players with any first team experience in their team, so, in many ways, it was just another age group game. The Birmingham team that beat our Under 23s 4-0 about a month ago had a smattering of first teamers in it and I think it's probably matches like that which give you a better idea as to who the youngsters are that rise to a challenge rather than be intimidated by it.

That's a good comparison for Cameron Coxe, who is very attack minded - Barnsley were dangerous down their flanks and he had his hands full defensively at times because he was up against one of that pair of first teamers I mentioned earlier, but, much like his team, he grew into the game as it went on and was able to do more of what he is best at in the second half before he was substituted.

Based on what I've seen so far this season, a decision looks to have been made that City see Weymans as a midfielder rather than a full back - he played central midfield yesterday and has operated on the left at times. He's more of an influence in games this season and there's nearly always one or two moments of skill which really stand out from him, but the game still passes him by at times.
    Yes it was the Glammy and the Film 16 threads that made me think we should do this.

Thanks for the write up on Coxe and Weymans. Very insightful.

I'm finding the rotation of players quite encouraging this year. It seems we're destined to not have as high a finish as with recent seasons but perhaps this gives us a license to prioritise pushing the comfort zone of the younger players and get them used to older age groups ahead of time. I think you and Gringo said that this was the new remit of the academy over the summer.

I wonder if we're due a Ben Davies moment with one of our youth players one of these days. Davies was barely touted as a future star in their academy, but was thrown in the deep end of their first team because of injuries and is obviously one of the key players for Wales. Perhaps the next DVP player to break through might be someone who wasn't expected to?

Blue in the Face

Thought is was worth chucking last seasons goal highlights on here.

ACADEMY: 2015/16 SEASON REVIEW MONTAGE

DEVELOPMENT: 2015/16 SEASON REVIEW MONTAGE

Blue in the Face

Unfortunately the academy and development highlights on youtube are purposefully minimal so as to encourage people to subscribe to Cardiff City Player. That's fair enough, but it's a shame that the highlights on Player aren't a lot more comprehensive too.

I'm not sure it's really worth bumping this thread with these highlight reels if the vids are this brief...

ACADEMY: BRISTOL CITY 2-1 CARDIFF CITY

Here's a piece on yesterday lunchtime's Under 18 match with Crewe at Treforest.

Blue in the Face

Here's a piece on yesterday lunchtime's Under 18 match with Crewe at Treforest.

Triffic as usual. Thanks!

I must confess I've heard next to nothing about Isaac Kelly. The Academy webpage says he's a striker converted to a defender. Sounds like perhaps, yet again, an academy player could win goal of the month.

A couple of names getting a lot of game time at academy and DVP level now.

U18s - Cardiff 4 - Crewe 1

U16s - Cardiff 2 - Crewe 2

Blue in the Face

U18s team vs Crewe...

Ratcliffe, Kelly, Coxe, Welch, Baldwin, Young, Davies, Bowen, Harris, Waite, So Sani

Subs - Madden, Coughlan, Williams, Bodenham, Davies

The Under 23s are at home to Charlton today, Kick off 2 o clock at Leckwith - that's going by what the club website is saying at the moment mind and they have been wrong on at least a couple of occasions this season. It's probably best to look at the Development team twitter feed

https://twitter.com/cardiffcitydvp?lang=en

within the hour before kick off for confirmation of the venue.

According to the club website, most Under 23 home games are going to revert to Monday night 7 pm kick offs at Cardiff City Stadium after today, with the first of them being on Halloween night against Palace.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 17-10-16 at 08:04.

The game is at Leckwith

Murphy, Kennedy, Ajayi and Zohore in starting eleven.

https://twitter.com/cardiffcitydvp?lang=en

Blue in the Face

Back to an older and much more experienced line up than in previous games against one of the best teams we will come up against. We could see this coming after players like Mark Harris were fielded a couple of days ago for the academy side. Senior keeper Murphy getting some game time

DVP: Murphy, Baker, Tutonda, Patten, Ajayi, James, Southam, O’Sullivan, Zohore, Kennedy, Weymans.

Subs: Blaise, Byrne, Rees, Humphries, Bird.

The final score (0-0) makes the game sound better than it actually was.

A report on today's non event if anyone's interested.

Zohore not doing much for the under 23's either then?

Blue in the Face

Thanks again! Perhaps the uneventful performance can be forgiven seeing that line up changed so much for the DVPers of late...

Sounds like we were playing three centre backs again. Is that right? Perhaps this is the formation which best suits Tom James if anyone in the DVP

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Cærdiffi View Post
    Zohore not doing much for the under 23's either then?
    He's a frustrating player because there was one incident which summed up the sort of player he is currently perfectly. He showed pace and skill that would not look out of place in the first team to get to the byeline in a run down the left, but then he spoiled all of his good work with a cross that was yards away from any City player - I can remember a similar type of run on the other side of the pitch in the Bristol Rovers when he ruined a very promising situation by trying a shot from a ridiculous angle.

Apart from that one thing, he was pretty anonymous throughout a game in which some played fairly well, but no one did enough in my book to suggest they should be in the first team squad.