+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Here's the James Waite goal against Ipswich that TOBW eulogised about at the time. 40 passes from the second half kick off to the goal itself, superb stuff. They don't play music during DVP games by the way, that's been added on.

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/...l-3540844.aspx
    Strange as to why it took them nearly a fortnight to realise what an outstanding goal it was.

Credit to the club though for releasing that video for all fans to see and, it turns out that the goal was even better than I thought it was at the time.

The Under 23s don't always manage to play football like that and I wouldn't expect anything like it on the pitch at Leckwith on Monday afternoon, but their games are usually entertaining.

Anyway, I've done another blog piece about the goal if anyone is interested.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Strange as to why it took them nearly a fortnight to realise what an outstanding goal it was.

Credit to the club though for releasing that video for all fans to see and, it turns out that the goal was even better than I thought it was at the time.

The Under 23s don't always manage to play football like that and I wouldn't expect anything like it on the pitch at Leckwith on Monday afternoon, but their games are usually entertaining.

Anyway, I've done another blog piece about the goal if anyone is interested.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/
    Good stuff. As Blue in the Face says, it certainly won't be easy to evolve to this style of play at first team level but at least Warnock is showing some flexibility with systems and personnel which doesn't rule it out entirely, even if he's here for a while. It will be interesting to see what happens when he feels he can start to relax his obsession with 'no-nonsense' defending. The build up to Waite's goal shows the extra attacking options that a ball playing centre-half and a full back pushing on can give you (even a full back as seemingly limited as Halford). On that theme, it was encouraging to see Declan John on the bench yesterday.

I see Luke O'Reilly has joined Redditch. Those guys are going out thick and fast, it's a shame we haven't found it so easy to offload some of our first team squad.

Good stuff. As Blue in the Face says, it certainly won't be easy to evolve to this style of play at first team level but at least Warnock is showing some flexibility with systems and personnel which doesn't rule it out entirely, even if he's here for a while. It will be interesting to see what happens when he feels he can start to relax his obsession with 'no-nonsense' defending. The build up to Waite's goal shows the extra attacking options that a ball playing centre-half and a full back pushing on can give you (even a full back as seemingly limited as Halford). On that theme, it was encouraging to see Declan John on the bench yesterday.

I see Luke O'Reilly has joined Redditch. Those guys are going out thick and fast, it's a shame we haven't found it so easy to offload some of our first team squad.
    Not sure Warnock will ever relax his obsession with no nonsense defending and, although I think he represents an extreme end of this argument, I'm with him to the extent that I'd take a good defender with limitations on the ball over someone who is good on the ball, but defensively suspect.

I think O'Reilly is a very good "line" keeper - I did read that he's gone to Redditch on loan didn't I?

One other thing, the average age of the Under 18 team seems to go down week by week lately, but that didn't stop them winning 1-0 at Colchester yesterday thanks to another goal by Isaak Davies, who I would expect to see getting some experience in the Development side fairly soon.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Not sure Warnock will ever relax his obsession with no nonsense defending and, although I think he represents an extreme end of this argument, I'm with him to the extent that I'd take a good defender with limitations on the ball over someone who is good on the ball, but defensively suspect.

I think O'Reilly is a very good "line" keeper - I did read that he's gone to Redditch on loan didn't I?

One other thing, the average age of the Under 18 team seems to go down week by week lately, but that didn't stop them winning 1-0 at Colchester yesterday thanks to another goal by Isaak Davies, who I would expect to see getting some experience in the Development side fairly soon.
    I take your point about out-and-out defenders, of course, but I reckon playing five of them is probably over-egging the pudding a bit. Even playing four at home seems a bit over the top at times but, like you say, that's Warnock's way. If he feels Gunnarsson and Ralls are strong enough to mind the fort then we may see our full backs creeping over the halfway line at some point but it's probably best that I don't get ahead of myself on that one.

I saw Redditch saying they'd signed O'Reilly on a temporary basis, which could mean a short-term contract or a loan I suppose. I haven't seen him tested enough to make up my mind about him yet but overall I'm happy with the restructuring at that level so I'll go along with whatever decisions are being made while hoping that we're not throwing the baby out with the bath water somewhere along the line.

It certainly did but I can't see many teams allowing for so much time and space that a CB's long diagonal can find the left-back as lonely as he was towards the end of the move.

Defender's don't have to do too much going forward to add an increased threat to their side (Chamber's played RB in a Pochettino side not so long ago), there is plenty of middle ground between Pulis' 4 CB's and Spurs using Walker and Rose that hopefully Warnock can find for us.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    It certainly did but I can't see many teams allowing for so much time and space that a CB's long diagonal can find the left-back as lonely as he was towards the end of the move.

Defender's don't have to do too much going forward to add an increased threat to their side (Chamber's played RB in a Pochettino side not so long ago), there is plenty of middle ground between Pulis' 4 CB's and Spurs using Walker and Rose that hopefully Warnock can find for us.
    Let's hope so, yes.

On the theme of defenders pushing forward, here's Deji Oshilaja's goal from yesterday for Gillingham. An up and down season for Deji and I'm not sure if he actually qualifies for this thread any more (he's 24 next month) but this is a goal worth seeing as it's an unconventional one for a centre half. He takes it well though.

It's the opener here at around 0.15

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video...1-1-shrewsbury