+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 22 of 164 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324252627282930313272122 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

My report on today's game and a few paragraphs on yesterday's game with Southampton.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Hope no one turned up at Leckwith on the back of what I said, because it turned out that the match was played at Treforest! City won 2-0 thanks to goals by Sion Spence and Isaak Davies in the second half.
    Not your fault. The Club fixture list said Leckwith!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    Not your fault. The Club fixture list said Leckwith!
    I thought it did.

Spence and Isaac Davies again. They must be pushing for the under 23s now

Blue in the Face

My report on today's game and a few paragraphs on yesterday's game with Southampton.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/
    Just got round to reading both reports. Cheers! I'm guessing none of the trialists yet caught the eye in the older age groups? Did a quick Welsh check on Ricardo Rees for Brizzle and a couple of vague websites claim he's English. Still see fair few Welshies as usual with them. Think Chaliss and Morrell are two of the bigger hopes though the later would've been too old to play in the game you saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnmower View Post
    Spence and Isaac Davies again. They must be pushing for the under 23s now
    Think both are still 16 too? So encouraging.

A side thought for me is the DVP looks quite disjointed this year. As Loramski proposed earlier in the thread, are they better off in the the younger groups where they can dominate a bit more? I don't have an opinion as I don't know what goes on behind the scenes. But I suppose the club should be careful to not be too relaxed about pushing these lads a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Just got round to reading both reports. Cheers! I'm guessing none of the trialists yet caught the eye in the older age groups? Did a quick Welsh check on Ricardo Rees for Brizzle and a couple of vague websites claim he's English. Still see fair few Welshies as usual with them. Think Chaliss and Morrell are two of the bigger hopes though the later would've been too old to play in the game you saw.

Think both are still 16 too? So encouraging.

A side thought for me is the DVP looks quite disjointed this year. As Loramski proposed earlier in the thread, are they better off in the the younger groups where they can dominate a bit more? I don't have an opinion as I don't know what goes on behind the scenes. But I suppose the club should be careful to not be too relaxed about pushing these lads a little.
    I think Spence turned 17 last month.

Regarding the second point, the Under 23 side is also called the Development team. so the original intention was, surely, to "develop" young players and make the jump into first team football less of a steep one?

The system being used this season seems to be designed to stop teenagers challenging for a first team place (except for in some Cup games or meaningless end of season matches), so it's essentially a confirmation of the unofficial policy that has been in place for a few years now - that is we don't pick teenagers for Championship matches unless there is nothing to play for.

I don't agree with keeping someone like Spence in the youth team when his performances this season are better than they were last year when he played far more for the Development team than he is doing now, but I suppose a structure whereby players eligible for the Under 18s stuck with them until they reached nineteen wouldn't be a disaster as long as there was a recognition that an Under 18 player can come along every now and then who is good enough to do a decent job for the first team in a meaningful Championship match - lately, there seems to be a view prevailing at the club that any teenager cannot be good enough to play in a league match in which the points are important.

Blue in the Face

I think Spence turned 17 last month.

Regarding the second point, the Under 23 side is also called the Development team. so the original intention was, surely, to "develop" young players and make the jump into first team football less of a steep one?

The system being used this season seems to be designed to stop teenagers challenging for a first team place (except for in some Cup games or meaningless end of season matches), so it's essentially a confirmation of the unofficial policy that has been in place for a few years now - that is we don't pick teenagers for Championship matches unless there is nothing to play for.

I don't agree with keeping someone like Spence in the youth team when his performances this season are better than they were last year when he played far more for the Development team than he is doing now, but I suppose a structure whereby players eligible for the Under 18s stuck with them until they reached nineteen wouldn't be a disaster as long as there was a recognition that an Under 18 player can come along every now and then who is good enough to do a decent job for the first team in a meaningful Championship match - lately, there seems to be a view prevailing at the club that any teenager cannot be good enough to play in a league match in which the points are important.
    You're making some very persuasive points here and I find myself agreeing with you're saying, specifically in regard to the player mentioned. If we are see him hold back all season then it certainly seems a mystifying choice. There is surely the spaces in the DVP to allow for the younger players to be promoted and perhaps, as you make the point very well, they should be promoted sooner rather than later. But it does seem to be a considered choice to hold back the brighter hopefuls at present. Could it be that perhaps someone like CB has requested to work with these lads a tad longer before they player in the higher age groups? Or perhaps a physical growth consideration with the player/s?

I just wonder if, for the short term, we have a bit of an issue with the DVP team in that it appears really disjointed at present and perhaps not the best environment to build confidence? Confidence building seems to be what a lot of coaches argue is the most important factor in developing youth players. The DVP side seems to be troublingly low on personel at present and I wonder if it might be a tad damaging to the likes of Coxe and Harris who might benefit from being in a more stable and balanced team? I just wonder how much they would be gaining this term when they seem to be playing with 5 or 6 new teammates every week. I'm starting to think we released too many DVP players and mess with the team a bit too much. I'm all for trialists and finding youth players to displace our own, but it seems quite problematic to have no permanent players to plug the gap.

This was the side Vs Southamption. Was Waite really our only sub!?

Ratcliffe, Coxe, Trialist, Trialist, Duffus, Young, Trialist, Trialist, Gounongbe, Harris, Trialist.

bench: Waite.

Ratcliffe, Spence and Waite start today for Wales U19.

Quote Originally Posted by emjayblue View Post
    Slovakia have just taken the lead after 43 minutes.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by emjayblue View Post
    Cheers Emjay. 1-0 down now. Can't find a stream. Can you?

Cheers Emjay. 1-0 down now. Can't find a stream. Can you?
    draggonsoccer58 put up a link on my twitter feed but to no avail as not working sorry! Relying on tweets from them for updates!

Touray just levelled 1 - 1 now.

2 - 1 down, about 10 mins remaining.

2 - 1 ft

You're making some very persuasive points here and I find myself agreeing with you're saying, specifically in regard to the player mentioned. If we are see him hold back all season then it certainly seems a mystifying choice. There is surely the spaces in the DVP to allow for the younger players to be promoted and perhaps, as you make the point very well, they should be promoted sooner rather than later. But it does seem to be a considered choice to hold back the brighter hopefuls at present. Could it be that perhaps someone like CB has requested to work with these lads a tad longer before they player in the higher age groups? Or perhaps a physical growth consideration with the player/s?

I just wonder if, for the short term, we have a bit of an issue with the DVP team in that it appears really disjointed at present and perhaps not the best environment to build confidence? Confidence building seems to be what a lot of coaches argue is the most important factor in developing youth players. The DVP side seems to be troublingly low on personel at present and I wonder if it might be a tad damaging to the likes of Coxe and Harris who might benefit from being in a more stable and balanced team? I just wonder how much they would be gaining this term when they seem to be playing with 5 or 6 new teammates every week. I'm starting to think we released too many DVP players and mess with the team a bit too much. I'm all for trialists and finding youth players to displace our own, but it seems quite problematic to have no permanent players to plug the gap.

This was the side Vs Southamption. Was Waite really our only sub!?

Ratcliffe, Coxe, Trialist, Trialist, Duffus, Young, Trialist, Trialist, Gounongbe, Harris, Trialist.

bench: Waite.
    He was the only sub because of a host of injuries (three crocks were sitting next to me in the stand) and the fact that Academy players couldn't be used because of a game against the Wurzels the following morning.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    He was the only sub because of a host of injuries (three crocks were sitting next to me in the stand) and the fact that Academy players couldn't be used because of a game against the Wurzels the following morning.
    Thanks for the info Abbruzzese's injury has forced him out of the Welsh u21s unfortunately....

PREPARATIONS UNDERWAY FOR UNDER-21S IN BANGOR

http://www.faw.cymru/en/news/prepara...en/news/&pos=2

Manager Rob Page has brought his Wales Under-21 squad together as the side trained on the North Wales coast ahead of two crucial qualifiers against Bosnia and Herzegovina (10 November) and Romania (14 November) that will be played at the VSM Bangor City FC Stadium.
    Page has already made a couple of enforced changes to his squad following the withdrawal of Rhys Abbruzzese and Daniel James through injury, but welcomed Rhys Norrington-Davies and Alex Babos into the squad for a light training session on Monday afternoon. The side will now spend the next few days preparing for two home games as they look to build on a positive start.

Six points from their opening three away games ensured that there was a positive vibe in the camp as the players assembled at the team base, but Page and his staff will be well aware of the challenges ahead, as Bosnia and Herzegovina recently claimed an impressive 3-1 win over Portugal to move level on points with Wales in Group 8. Meanwhile, Romania currently top the group having enjoyed an undefeated start to their campaign.

Wales began their campaign with an resounding 3-0 win in Switzerland, and bounced back from a defeat against Portugal to beat Liechtenstein 3-1 last month. Leicester City striker George Thomas has scored three goals in as many games. “We've had three tough away games to kick this campaign off,” explained Thomas following his brace in Liechtenstein. “So we're very happy with six points, but now it's vital that we get six points from the two home games.”

WALES U21 SQUAD

GOALKEEPERS: Luke Pilling (Tranmere Rovers), Owen Evans (Wigan Athletic). DEFENDERS: Cola Dasilva (Chelsea), Rhys Norrington-Davies (Sheffield United), Cameron Coxe (Cardiff City), Chris Mepham (Brentford), Regan Poole (Manchester United – on loan at Northampton), Joe Rodon (Swansea City). MIDFIELDERS: Matthew Smith (Manchester City), Nathan Broadhead (Everton), Jack Evans (Swansea City), Mark Harris (Cardiff City), Joe Morrell (Bristol City – on loan at Cheltenham). FORWARDS: Tyler Roberts (West Bromwich Albion – on loan at Walsall), George Thomas (Leicester City), Rabbi Matondo (Manchester City), Alex Babos (Derby County), Harry Wilson (Liverpool).

Both qualifiers kick-off at 6pm and will be shown live on S4C Sgorio.

Cameron Coxe and Mark Harris starting for the U21s now.

If it gets a youngster real competitive experience, then great.

My concern is... yet again one of our players loaned out couldn't get League One / Two club interested. Hereford FC are in the Southern League Premier division - National League North/South is the division above, about that is the National League. About that is League Two.

So basically, he's going to a club in the seventh tier of the league structure,to a team who would need THREE promotions to get into the League proper.

He'll get competitive experience in real matches, sure, but at a poor quality level.

Wales 1-0 down to Bosnia at half time in a close and hard fought game. Cameron Coxe is doing really well at right back, but probably has to share some responsibility for the goal - Mark Harris has done some good things on the left, but Wales are lacking a cutting edge at the moment.

As for Tyrone Duffus and his loan move, he's better than that level based on his recent performances for the Development team.

Wales 1-0 down to Bosnia at half time in a close and hard fought game. Cameron Coxe is doing really well at right back, but probably has to share some responsibility for the goal - Mark Harris has done some good things on the left, but Wales are lacking a cutting edge at the moment.

As for Tyrone Duffus and his loan move, he's better than that level based on his recent performances for the Development team.

We're going to win 4-3... we're going to win 4-3....

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    A surprisingly low-level move for him, as others have said, but with our under-23 game next week being postponed it means we only have four games scheduled at that level before January 8th whereas Hereford have thirteen (including an FA Cup tie at Fleetwood) so there is some logic to sending him out now.

I'm not sure if it's been his choice or ours to play him at centre-half, we might find out now. I'm not aware of him playing there before he came to us. I haven't seen much of him but he looks like an excellent footballer who'd be comfortable in a number of positions.

Hereford may feel their defence needs shoring up after leaking a goal in their 15-1 cup win on Tuesday night (Jamie Bird got 2).

http://www.herefordtimes.com/sport/f...nty_Cup_match/

15-1?

Jesus... how many would Velikonja have got playing against Tenbury? If it only takes a second to score and there are 5400 seconds in a game ( plus injury time )...

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    15-1?

Jesus... how many would Velikonja have got playing against Tenbury? If it only takes a second to score and there are 5400 seconds in a game ( plus injury time )...
    I hope you're sitting down because I've got some bad news for you. Velikonja needs surgery on his knee and is out for the season. Sorry I had to be the one to break it to you, I was expecting Mike to make an announcement and have it as a sticky.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    If it gets a youngster real competitive experience, then great.

My concern is... yet again one of our players loaned out couldn't get League One / Two club interested. Hereford FC are in the Southern League Premier division - National League North/South is the division above, about that is the National League. About that is League Two.

So basically, he's going to a club in the seventh tier of the league structure,to a team who would need THREE promotions to get into the League proper.

He'll get competitive experience in real matches, sure, but at a poor quality level.
    Isn't it now the case that loan transfers between football league clubs are no longer permitted outside the formal transfer windows? So any loan at this time of year could only be to a non-league club. Doesn't mean that clubs at a higher level wouldn't be interested in him. Maybe he'll go somewhere else in January.