+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 30 of 166 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829303132333435363738394080130 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Blue in the Face

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Great interview with Neil on ifollow. Near the end of part 2 of the interview he says "... You've got to get to the premier league to get the money to make the club infrastructure better for the next generation and beyond. And I think that's what it would do for Cardiff..."

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Five of those started on Tuesday in the Cup Final and Reynolds came on as a sub - Connor Davies is only 16 according to that Wales Online article and I would have thought Patten, Isaak Davies or Bowen were seventeen at most.

No Sion Spence I see, I know he's not eighteen until October and I'd be very surprised if he has been dropped - maybe he'll be involved with the Under 21s if they're playing this month?
    Sion Spence was in the original squad but has pulled out due to injury. I have heard that he has struggled all year with injury , but played through it, but requires to rest now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebelief View Post
    Sion Spence was in the original squad but has pulled out due to injury. I have heard that he has struggled all year with injury , but played through it, but requires to rest now.
    Thanks for that, I must say mind that, forget about extra time, many of Sion's team mates were looking absolutely knackered after about seventy five minutes on Tuesday whereas he, with his background of having enjoyed some success in athletics, looked to be coping better than most.

Hopefully, he can come back fit and refreshed in July and do well enough to, perhaps, earn a loan move somewhere at some time during the season - I would prefer that to him having to play in the Under 23 team if it is to continue along the same lines as this season.

As for Abbruzzese, it would not surprise me if he has been released. Increasingly it seems there is a line of thinking which says full backs need to be over a certain height and it's certainly true that attacking teams like to get their big, tall striker free to jump against small full backs on the far post when crosses come over - I would have thought Neil Warnock might subscribe to that line of thinking and that Abbruzzese's lack of inches could have been held against him.

I saw that interview with Neil Warnock which Blue in the Face refers to and was encouraged by what he said. However, if we did go up, I would be very pleasantly surprised to see some of the money we made going towards the Academy getting class 1 status. I say that because it's been a long time since we've seen anything which indicated that youth development is high on the lost of priorities among the decision makers at Cardiff City - unfortunately, the almost complete absence of locally born players with a long attachment to the club playing first team football during this decade encourages a "what's the point?" attitude when it comes to any extra funding for the Academy.

Thanks for that, I must say mind that, forget about extra time, many of Sion's team mates were looking absolutely knackered after about seventy five minutes on Tuesday whereas he, with his background of having enjoyed some success in athletics, looked to be coping better than most.

Hopefully, he can come back fit and refreshed in July and do well enough to, perhaps, earn a loan move somewhere at some time during the season - I would prefer that to him having to play in the Under 23 team if it is to continue along the same lines as this season.

As for Abbruzzese, it would not surprise me if he has been released. Increasingly it seems there is a line of thinking which says full backs need to be over a certain height and it's certainly true that attacking teams like to get their big, tall striker free to jump against small full backs on the far post when crosses come over - I would have thought Neil Warnock might subscribe to that line of thinking and that Abbruzzese's lack of inches could have been held against him.

I saw that interview with Neil Warnock which Blue in the Face refers to and was encouraged by what he said. However, if we did go up, I would be very pleasantly surprised to see some of the money we made going towards the Academy getting class 1 status. I say that because it's been a long time since we've seen anything which indicated that youth development is high on the lost of priorities among the decision makers at Cardiff City - unfortunately, the almost complete absence of locally born players with a long attachment to the club playing first team football during this decade encourages a "what's the point?" attitude when it comes to any extra funding for the Academy.
    Some great posts here. It can only be a matter of time before the running of the Academy and under-23s gets handed over to this message board, the club are missing a trick.

One question on your last paragraph, I'm sure you'll know. Are we losing out on local talent to Swansea and other clubs (apart from Matondo, of course)? It seems a bit harsh for posters to be critical because we're not 'producing' another Ramsey or Ledley, surely we can only work with the raw materials available in terms of local talent. If promising youngsters are choosing other clubs or if local lads aren't making it here but being successful after leaving then there's a problem but if there aren't locally born players good enough to play for us at the level we're at then what are we meant to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Some great posts here. It can only be a matter of time before the running of the Academy and under-23s gets handed over to this message board, the club are missing a trick.

One question on your last paragraph, I'm sure you'll know. Are we losing out on local talent to Swansea and other clubs (apart from Matondo, of course)? It seems a bit harsh for posters to be critical because we're not 'producing' another Ramsey or Ledley, surely we can only work with the raw materials available in terms of local talent. If promising youngsters are choosing other clubs or if local lads aren't making it here but being successful after leaving then there's a problem but if there aren't locally born players good enough to play for us at the level we're at then what are we meant to do?
    I'm concentrating on Cardiff and Swansea much of the time in the two threads that are hosting the debate about the teams below senior level, but I think what I'm going to say in reply to you can apply more generally.

Apart from the occasional Under 16s match, I only tend to watch the Under 18s play, so I can't comment with any authority about the younger age groups. However, from what I've been led to believe, City still do pretty well when they play the Jacks at the lower age levels - about this time last year, I watched the Under 16s deservedly beat Swansea 1-0 with a team including a few of the team that lost in the Cup Final to the Jacks this week.

This tends to reinforce my opinion that the group we have had representing the Under 18s are among the better ones we've had since we gained Academy status fourteen years ago. Last season, the nucleus of this team formed a strong Under 16 side which, from memory, only lost a couple of matches prior to Christmas, but then it was "broken up" in some respects as many of them were promoted en bloc to the Under 18s.

Playing lads who were three years older than them in some cases meant that they struggled to get wins and it was the same at the start of this season for a while, but from about October onwards, they have been winning lots of matches and I believe that most of them will still be eligible for the Under 18s next season, so you would like to think that, in terms of results, they could be something special by Cardiff City terms if it is decided to keep them playing at that level as opposed to them featuring in the Development team.

Unfortunately, it appears that, historically, it's between the ages of about 16 to 20 where things tend to go wrong for City youngsters. For example, the Wales side which stuffed England 4-0 in the Victory Shield a few years ago was made up mostly of City players and, from memory, it can only be said that Declan John out of that group has, perhaps, come close to fulfilling his potential.

Going back to the jacks, we used to play them regularly at all levels from Development team downwards a while back and I can remember that when the current structure came in about six years ago, we'd win more than we lost against them at Development and Under 18 levels, but this gradually changed and in the season or two before Swansea got level 1 Academy status, they became the dominant team.

Now, we only have the Welsh Youth Cup where we can compare ourselves with Swansea at these levels and with their nine consecutive victories in that competition, there can be no doubt who is winning that particular battle these days.

Swansea also have far more young pros out on loan to other Football League clubs than us which tends to reinforce the view that they are better at eighteen to twenty three level than us.

If I'm right in saying that we are still more than holding our own with the jacks when it comes to the lower age groupings then either they have superb coaching and training for their senior Academy scholars and young pros or, given our complete lack of success in producing our own first team players in recent seasons, the more likely explanation is that the senior staff at our Academy are failing badly in their most important function.

I don't think Craig Bellamy should be lumped in with any criticism of the Academy staff yet because he's only been involved for a little over a year, but there are others who have been around the place for a lot longer than that and yet it seems to me that you have to go all the way back to Neil Ardley's time in the job to find a period when we were producing our own first team players and there weren't too many of them coming through then either.

I'm concentrating on Cardiff and Swansea much of the time in the two threads that are hosting the debate about the teams below senior level, but I think what I'm going to say in reply to you can apply more generally.

Apart from the occasional Under 16s match, I only tend to watch the Under 18s play, so I can't comment with any authority about the younger age groups. However, from what I've been led to believe, City still do pretty well when they play the Jacks at the lower age levels - about this time last year, I watched the Under 16s deservedly beat Swansea 1-0 with a team including a few of the team that lost in the Cup Final to the Jacks this week.

This tends to reinforce my opinion that the group we have had representing the Under 18s are among the better ones we've had since we gained Academy status fourteen years ago. Last season, the nucleus of this team formed a strong Under 16 side which, from memory, only lost a couple of matches prior to Christmas, but then it was "broken up" in some respects as many of them were promoted en bloc to the Under 18s.

Playing lads who were three years older than them in some cases meant that they struggled to get wins and it was the same at the start of this season for a while, but from about October onwards, they have been winning lots of matches and I believe that most of them will still be eligible for the Under 18s next season, so you would like to think that, in terms of results, they could be something special by Cardiff City terms if it is decided to keep them playing at that level as opposed to them featuring in the Development team.

Unfortunately, it appears that, historically, it's between the ages of about 16 to 20 where things tend to go wrong for City youngsters. For example, the Wales side which stuffed England 4-0 in the Victory Shield a few years ago was made up mostly of City players and, from memory, it can only be said that Declan John out of that group has, perhaps, come close to fulfilling his potential.

Going back to the jacks, we used to play them regularly at all levels from Development team downwards a while back and I can remember that when the current structure came in about six years ago, we'd win more than we lost against them at Development and Under 18 levels, but this gradually changed and in the season or two before Swansea got level 1 Academy status, they became the dominant team.

Now, we only have the Welsh Youth Cup where we can compare ourselves with Swansea at these levels and with their nine consecutive victories in that competition, there can be no doubt who is winning that particular battle these days.

Swansea also have far more young pros out on loan to other Football League clubs than us which tends to reinforce the view that they are better at eighteen to twenty three level than us.

If I'm right in saying that we are still more than holding our own with the jacks when it comes to the lower age groupings then either they have superb coaching and training for their senior Academy scholars and young pros or, given our complete lack of success in producing our own first team players in recent seasons, the more likely explanation is that the senior staff at our Academy are failing badly in their most important function.

I don't think Craig Bellamy should be lumped in with any criticism of the Academy staff yet because he's only been involved for a little over a year, but there are others who have been around the place for a lot longer than that and yet it seems to me that you have to go all the way back to Neil Ardley's time in the job to find a period when we were producing our own first team players and there weren't too many of them coming through then either.
    Very interesting. There are clearly problems that need to be addressed and, hopefully, today's events will be the trigger that leads to improvements at that level. I think I'm slightly more optimistic than you about it all, not quite sure what I'm basing that optimism on though.

Ashley Baker made his debut for Sheffield Wednesday today, 84 minutes at right wing back in a 5-1 win over Norwich. His first game for them and Glenn Loovens' last, an emotional farewell for him. He seemed to be very popular there.

Blue in the Face

Vinny T quote...

"... Most of the time, though, I agree with Neil's proposal and suggestions. Like me he wants to improve the whole aspect of the football club, the first team, the scouting set-up, the youth side, the training facilities. This is what we each want."

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...rview-14623591

Blue in the Face

Wales u19s (sort an u18s really) played host nation Slovakia. I won't divulge the score. But if you want to watch this game later, it might be an idea to open the below link and rewind the game to the start and let your computer cache the vid as it may not be up later.

https://livestream.com/accounts/27097456/events/8174866

Ratcliffe, Reynolds, Bowen and Isaak Davies in the starting 11

Blue in the Face

Bowen excellent in the Wales game.

If Cardiff want to find a replacement for Matondo, they should send a scout to watch Jack Vale of Wales and Blackburn. He's just turned 17 but from this one game I've seen, I think he'd have a good shot of being a regular in our DVP team.

Blue in the Face

All three Cadiff call ups started and played virtually the entire game as Wales u15s beat Slovakia 2-1 away, in what was a very good open game. All three Cardiff lads - Ben Coley (GK), Taylor Jones (RB) and Ethan Vaughan (LB) did really well.

Putting my scout hat on, I would love for Cardiff to look at two Welsh players for poaching. Matthew Baker is a centre back and perhaps poachable as he is contracted to Gillingham. Reads the game well. Aggressive. Looks very good physically for a 14/15 year old... A less likely signing might be Wales captain Oliver Ewing. Very clever, technical centre mid with two good feet. Was the stand out performer for me.

Other news. Tommy O'Sullivan has been let go by Colchester after having spent a lot of the season out on loan. Hopefully he can find the right club soon.
    https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44043225

Blue in the Face

Coxe offered a new contract Report from the BBC. But I wonder if that confirms many of his peers may be let go?

Harris and Coxe in action later in the second game vs Georgia, though I'm expecting Coxe to make way for Swansea's Aaron Lewis. There will be streams available I'm sure. This link may work...

www.youtube.com/user/GeorgianFF/videos

Page - “... I think we will make around six or seven changes to the starting eleven from the first match..."

YOUNG DRAGONS READY FOR SECOND GEORGIAN CLASH
    http://www.faw.cymru/en/news/young-d...en/news/&pos=1

Jarrad Welch scored (another) good goal yesterday in a man of the match performance for Weston. I never saw him play here but I remember you saying you rated him. I know Des Parrot was impressed with him at Cinderford last season and said he'd had a trial at Bournemouth. He seemed to leave here under a cloud but he's establishing himself at non-league level now, I wonder if a bigger club will come in for him in the close season.
    Welch has signed a new contract at Weston. The word maverick pops up here but he seems to have made a good impression, it'll be interesting to see how his career pans out.

https://www.westonsmareafc.co.uk/wel...ure-to-weston/

Only 7 trialists in our u-23 squad to play Wealdstone tonight; Price, Martin, Summer, Teveres, Kennedy, Clarke and Burrows. O'Keefe and Bogle get another run out.

Finished up 3-0 to Wealdstone - I think Ciaron Brown may have scored an own goal against his former club.

First Development team game of the season tonight - away at Burnley, hope it's not a case of spot the Cardiff contracted player again this season.

Very good performance by the Under 18s to beat Colchester 5-0 on Saturday. They are at home again on Saturday to Birmingham - the club website is saying it's an 11 o clock kick off at Leckwith, so there's a chance to watch the first half before going over the road to the Newcastle match.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...-on-11-aug-18/

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...r-development/

A City squad which includes four trialists are 2-0 down at Burnley at half time - the goals came early on and it reads like one way traffic on the Twitter feed. Matej Vydra, who scored the second goal, Ben Gibson and Tom Heaton all started for the home team.

A City squad which includes four trialists are 2-0 down at Burnley at half time - the goals came early on and it reads like one way traffic on the Twitter feed. Matej Vydra, who scored the second goal, Ben Gibson and Tom Heaton all started for the home team.
    3-1 now, Brayden Shaw with our goal.

An encouraging start (and a standing ovation) for Mark Harris at Newport. A good interview with him here.

https://www.newport-county.co.uk/new...form=hootsuite

3-1 now, Brayden Shaw with our goal.

An encouraging start (and a standing ovation) for Mark Harris at Newport. A good interview with him here.

https://www.newport-county.co.uk/new...form=hootsuite
    Finished up 4-1, too early to draw firm conclusions yet, but I've got a bad feeling about Under 23 matches this season - Mark Harris is, almost certainly, best out of it. Thanks for posting that link, I think it's a good move for him.

Finished up 4-1, too early to draw firm conclusions yet, but I've got a bad feeling about Under 23 matches this season - Mark Harris is, almost certainly, best out of it. Thanks for posting that link, I think it's a good move for him.
    It's not promising is it? With Harris gone we don't seem to have a striker now, until someone can find Meite. No left back or left sided midfielder either but plenty of centre halves and central midfielders (Duffus, Humphries and Waite were all missing last night to add to what we've got there).

To be fair, the two lads we had on trial last night, Burrows and Sumner, seem to be teenagers on the way up rather than 20-year-olds who've already been rejected elsewhere but it looks like it could be more of the same at that level this season. Why doesn't Warnock give the fringe players or new signings games like Burnley did last night? Seems odd to me.

A brief look back at Monday's game from Andy Legg and Jack Bodenham here. Seems like we picked up a couple of injuries, maybe it'll give us the chance to have a look at a couple of trialists next week?

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...-a-great-test/

It's not promising is it? With Harris gone we don't seem to have a striker now, until someone can find Meite. No left back or left sided midfielder either but plenty of centre halves and central midfielders (Duffus, Humphries and Waite were all missing last night to add to what we've got there).

To be fair, the two lads we had on trial last night, Burrows and Sumner, seem to be teenagers on the way up rather than 20-year-olds who've already been rejected elsewhere but it looks like it could be more of the same at that level this season. Why doesn't Warnock give the fringe players or new signings games like Burnley did last night? Seems odd to me.
    Don't know those two names, but I found a tweet which names them (along with Elvis) as subs so it's presumably from the game at Taffs Well (someone replied saying that "Burrows" should read Borrows)?

Someone posted something on my blog over the weekend saying
    "I have heard that Cardiff City are trialing two out of contract Senegalese players this week, with the view to possibly signing both.

The two players are Lacina Traore (striker) and Jules Iloki (right-winger)."

Maybe they were involved as well?

Don't know those two names, but I found a tweet which names them (along with Elvis) as subs so it's presumably from the game at Taffs Well (someone replied saying that "Burrows" should read Borrows)?

Someone posted something on my blog over the weekend saying
    "I have heard that Cardiff City are trialing two out of contract Senegalese players this week, with the view to possibly signing both.

The two players are Lacina Traore (striker) and Jules Iloki (right-winger)."

Maybe they were involved as well?
    Here's the team from Monday. Haven't seen this site before, could be useful for us this season.

http://youthhawk.co.uk/w/index.php/B...ment_League_2)

Here's the team from Monday. Haven't seen this site before, could be useful for us this season.

http://youthhawk.co.uk/w/index.php/B...ment_League_2)
    Just bookmarked that site - thanks

Mark Harris scored his first goal for Newport today, a late equaliser having come on as a sub.

Also, DVP old boy Danny Johnson scored for Motherwell, the only goal in a League Cup win at Livingston.

I'm sure the club website were saying that tomorrow's Development team match against Barnsley was a 7 o clock kick off at Cardiff City Stadium, but now it's down as a 1 o clock kick off at Leckwith, with the Barnsley website agreeing about the venue, but saying kick off is an hour later - see what they're saying tomorrow I suppose .