Here are the club websites write ups on the DVP/Academy games. (Both written by a guy called Alex Cutler)

DVP: CARDIFF CITY 0-0 CHARLTON ATHLETIC
http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/...-3369304.aspx?

U18 | CARDIFF CITY 4-1 CREWE ALEXANDRA
http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/...-3365871.aspx?

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
Yes, they did play three at the back and I agree that it is a system which suits Tom James - he got forward once or twice in open play in the closing stages. However, having used the three at the back system with some success earlier in the season, it's been like watching the first team try to play it in the two home matches they've played in the past eight days - no goals and no real suggestion of them, certainly not from our striker(s) who have looked as isolated as those in the first team do.

Sorry, but I've seen little to commend from the City in the last two home games - the Warnock effect has definitely not reached the Development team yet.
I'm glad you give an honest account of the performances. What's the use of not being any other way? Trust is probably why lots of folks look to your blog for your viewpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
Contrary to many on here I'm not a big fan of Kevin Nicholson.

I don't know if anyone follows him on twitter but all he and Michael Johnson do is tweet about Derby fecking County!

I find it bizarre that he does this unchallenged when he has such a prominent role at our club.

Add to this that I noticed last season if the first team lost (for example) 3-2 he would set up a question and answer session on twitter about defending and if we drew 0-0 he would set up a question and answer session a with the subject on how to break teams down!!!

I don't think someone with such a position should be undermining the management on social media.

He has taken a lot of the plaudits yet his dvp team often fielded experience pro's like Saadi, Ameobi, Kennedy, etc as well as players like Wharton, O'Sullivan etc who are of an age where they should be playing first team football.

They often played against teams full of 18 and 19 year olds so I would expect them to win.

I know it's not his fault that we still have players in their early 20s at the club who still have no prospect of breaking through to the first team but I'm just highlighting some of the reasons for last year's perceived success.

The team he played on the weekend should be the type of team that played against Barnsley is what DVP squad should look like in my opinion. I fear the horse has already bolted for Wharton, O'Sullivan and Co and we should be looking to push through players like Harris, Coxe, Abbruzzese etc to see if they can push on.
Gringo, you'll be in a much better position than me to judge Nicholson as you see the DVP/Acedemy games in full. But I have to add to your skepticism on his public persona. I've always thought he talks in football cliches and fails to be his own man. Another issue is that Nicholson isn't coming from a position of being an ex-pro. If he is to be a great manager in the making then fine, there are other ways to become a good coach/manager than the ex-player route.

But I am concerned that the likes of O'Sullivan, who does have talent, has stagnated over the past two years because perhaps they don't have the ex-pro mentor. Can we honestly say that Tommy looks a better player under Nicholson than he did under Ardley? I think Tommy is a good example because he's exactly the type who has shown the potential to come good if coached correctly. I've felt for a while that if Tommy had more urgency drilled into his game, he could be playing at a decent level by now. He certainly should've been in a position where a league club was demanding to take him on loan, which would've been beneficial to all.