Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
Fair points, but it doesn't really address the one that stands out here - why is a kid who was considered good enough to feature regularly in the Development team at the back end of last season and must have done well enough at that level to be considered ready to be a part of the first team squad for a game against a side that went up, now consigned, almost exclusively, to the youth team?

Since I wrote my previous message on Sion Spence, I received some information which may answer the question I posed above, but, as it was confidential in nature, I can't pass it on here I'm sorry. What I can say though is that it wasn't just Rabbi Matondo who Man City were interested in a year or two back, there was another City youngster they tried to sign, who opted to stay with us after being told that he would be given the sort of chance to prove himself ready for the first team at a younger age than the club have been in the habit of doing with others in recent years. Now, I wonder if playing for the youth team week in, week out, a few months after you were deemed to be ready for the first team fits that criteria? To this observer, there seems a danger that a different decision will be made next time contract discussions are due and if that happens, then the club will have, once again, demonstrated their inability to develop gifted youngsters in a manner which benefits it in terms of producing their own first team players.
Apparently he rejected a couple of other big clubs too

I saw this in an interview with Matondo: ""I was so close to moving [to City] at one stage but then it didn't end up happening but my parents wanted me to come to City because they had been after me and haven't given up on me."

Yeah, I'm sure that's why they wanted you to move to Manchester.... £££££