Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
TOBW and I duly attended today but, unfortunately, only one sub was named (Warren Burwood, a goalkeeper) and his girlfriend couldn't be there which made a significant difference to today's attendance. I'm assuming Loramski was also lurking behind a pillar somewhere but today's royal engagement also appears to have kept a number of celebrating supporters away.
Quite frankly, news of Harry's betrothal was probably more interesting than this game although there was a certain comedic value about the standard of play on occasions. City fielded five trialists and I learned during the match that the Wurzels were also playing a trial match behind closed doors against Newport simultaneously making this fixture even more meaningless than usual.
City were somehow two up at half time through a decent Mark Harris goal and an own goal but Brizzle had much the better of the second half, deservedly drew level and should have gone on to win.
I am more and more of the opinion that these U23 games have little value and a return to a reserve team competition with no age limits which would give promising youngsters the opportunity to play against experienced pros returning from injury or loss of form would be a better platform for all concerned. Judging by the team fielded today, I'm wondering if the Club are also beginning to think these games are of little use.
Couldn't make today's game. There was a brainstorming session in the Loan Watch office and, quite frankly, I needed to be there. I shouldn't be rude about my staff but you'd be lucky to get a gentle breeze out of their brains, never mind a storm.

Hard to disagree with your last paragraph, I've been coming to the same conclusion recently. I was posting stuff about the Duffus move and thinking 'I'm sure this wasn't always my view'. I really couldn't think of one negative about it (until he pulled his hamstring, of course).