Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
You could be right - regarding Waite, was he a late call up for an Under 21 squad in the last year or two or am I imagining it?
Have to admit, I don't recall him ever getting a call up. Wales could have done with his mould of player in recent games. I feel he should get a cap while the chance is there and the upcoming games are fairly meaningless. Though Page may feel the pressure, he should really take the chance to experiment because what he has been doing has not been working. Think he has defender turned manager syndrome whereby he is too concerned about being conservative.

There is another name I should mention coming up at Man U - Dylan Levitt may be another candidate for a shot at the 8 / 10. One to look out for.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
Your last sentence is the one that it is hard to argue against, but, although people say that it's a shit league and a shit club, Declan John's career seems to have advanced since he moved to Rangers (Forrest of Celtic ran amok in the Old Firm game over the weekend, but I've seen Declan deal with him quite well a couple of times this season). Tom James seems to be earning himself a move up the league ladder at Yeovil - I really don't think the gap between Academy football and what you call real football is as large as you make it out to be, I accept that a youngster may only get the one chance to shine in the first team and it's a case of sink or swim, but ours all seem to be deemed to be sinkers these days without being chucked in the deep end!
Tom James rumours to the championship won't go away. Another rumour in the papers today about a move to the Wurzels. Remains to be seen, but hopefully he gets a good move up and takes it.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
The overwhelming majority of Academy players, regardless of club, are "sinkers" though. That's the reality of football, finding that gem is very much the exception.

Declan John was played at numerous positions at lower level and failed in every one. His career may well have advanced but at a poor level. Nothing in his Rangers career indicated we made the wrong decision in getting rid of him.

James may well have found his natural level. Until his career progresses, difficult to say.

Reality is, of the player we've released, all have gravitated downwards. People point to a Regan Poole, Man Utd loaned him out to Northampton where he can't even get a regular place - plus being moved into midfield.

I just find it hard to believe any manager would willingly not play a youngster if that youngster could save them precious money in a limited budget.
I think Cardiff's record of turning players into pros is a lot better than our fans give credit for. There are a lot of young ex Cardiff pros out there now. I'm sure one or two will come good.

The key problems seem to be - One, blooding youngsters for an upper championship club or above is getting harder by the season due to the growing competativeness of the leagues. Two, it's even harder for us because our academy doesn't have the status of the clubs above us, so are quality isn't there throughout and loaning clubs are looking to PL teams for loans.

There seems to be an issue with the initial couple of seasons that a player gets games. Loaning clubs would rather nuture their own assets ideally. Top clubs can't risk playing inexperienced players in high pressure games. David Brooks was given away by Man City. But what would his value be now? And yet had he stayed, then he might well have just been a another young player who still hasn't played a pro game that most people haven't heard of and has no value. Playing games and opportunities is the key, which is why I think TOBW is spot on.