+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 164 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656106 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Blue in the Face

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Good to hear about the fast tracking of these individuals. Haven't seen much of Waite so one to look out for. Like the look of the others mentioned also.

Think Gringo's on point re Matondo-Bellamy. Especially considering they are like for like players.

Still feeling really optimistic about the academy again.

Bring Gabbs back!

In the first game played by the Development or Academy team in 2017, the Under 18s were thrashed 6-0 yesterday by Charlton I'm afraid. More often than not, it's Charlton that top the league we play in at this level, so a heavy defeat might have been expected, but it becomes more understandable when you see the team that was picked;-

"Burwood: Madden, J. Davies, Patten, Sharif, Gidman, Williams, Wootton, I. Davies, Spence, C. Davies. subs. Jones, Ratclifffe, Evans, Bowen, C. Williams."

Looking at those names, I'd say only Sion Spence has been a regular starter at Under 18 level before yesterday this season, while Isaak Davies was selected for a few matches before Christmas, but even they are still young enough to play for our Under 16s this season.

I can only assume that those who have made up the large majority of our Under 18 side up to now are going to be in the squad which travels to London for the Development team's game, also against Charlton who are leaders of their section, tomorrow.

It might be that this weekend will see the first real evidence of the overhaul of the Under 23 team that was promised before Christmas. If we suddenly start fielding an Under 23 team made up mostly of teenagers, then it follows that, in a similar way to yesterday, the side will suffer in the short term to medium term as they struggle to come to terms with the new level they are playing at. However, given the complete failure of the "old" system when it came to producing first team footballers for Cardiff City, I hope patience is shown by all concerned if things appear to be going badly at first.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 08-01-17 at 07:32.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    Good report Bob and like you say we should all be willing to see u23 results falter for the bigger picture.

Players like Spence, Coxe, Welch, Harris, Waite should be pushed to their limits and out of their comfort zone in order to potentially fast track them to the first team.

I believe Jarrad Harvey was the lead coach last night not Matthew Bloxham and it's great to see Spence in particular being pushed so far.

Shame Warnock and co weren't at the club before Matondo left as I'm sure there would have been more interest expressed in him than there was by Slade that may have influenced his decision.
    Harris on the bench today

No news yet on the Development team's game at Charlton which kicked off about a quarter of an hour ago - the Charlton line up is listed on their twitter page, while they're still wishing everyone a Happy Christmas on ours .

No idea of our team news, but we're losing 0.1

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    No news yet on the Development team's game at Charlton which kicked off about a quarter of an hour ago - the Charlton line up is listed on their twitter page, while they're still wishing everyone a Happy Christmas on ours .
    Forward thinking by CCFC . Its xmas 2017 they are referring too..

Quote Originally Posted by Butterwick Blue View Post
    No idea of our team news, but we're losing 0.1
    Charlton away is about as difficult as it gets for us in the league structure we play and I'd treat a narrow defeat as a decent result, especially if our team is made up largely of Under 18s players, which I think may be the case looking at the team full of Under 16s that represented the Academy on Saturday.

The DVP Twitter feed used to be up to date and informative for team news and other info but for some time it's been hopeless. Have there been cutbacks in the media department?

Finished 3-0 to Charlton

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    The DVP Twitter feed used to be up to date and informative for team news and other info but for some time it's been hopeless. Have there been cutbacks in the media department?
    Send them a twee...

Oh

I see Tommy O'Sullivan scored for Colchester's Development team in a win at Ipswich yesterday - with Colchester currently in the Play Off plces, that would be a decent move for him if it comes off.

http://www.gazette-news.co.uk/sport/...er_O_Sullivan/

I see there is still nothing on twitter regarding yesterday's game at Charlton which is pathetic!

The final score was 3-0. Charlton scored their 3rd goal in injury time.

We had 5 u18s players in the starting line up with Connor Young, Lewis Baldwin, Cameron Coxe, Jarrad Welch and James Waite all starting.

As you say Bob, Charlton are always strong at this level so hopefully these kids can adapt and push on for the development of their careers.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    I see there is still nothing on twitter regarding yesterday's game at Charlton which is pathetic!

The final score was 3-0. Charlton scored their 3rd goal in injury time.

We had 5 u18s players in the starting line up with Connor Young, Lewis Baldwin, Cameron Coxe, Jarrad Welch and James Waite all starting.

As you say Bob, Charlton are always strong at this level so hopefully these kids can adapt and push on for the development of their careers.
    The last three you name have some limited experience of playing at Development team level Gringo, but I'm pretty sure it would have been a debut for the other two. With Development team regulars like O'Sullivan and Tutonda moving on and the likelihood that there will be more to follow, it's almost akin to everyone moving up an age group when it comes to our young players and results will probably suffer for a while, but it needs to be stressed that sending a so called Under 18 team that is in reality full of 15 and 16 year olds and Under 23 team which is virtually full of teenagers to play at Charlton is as hard a league assignment as they'll get.

The last three you name have some limited experience of playing at Development team level Gringo, but I'm pretty sure it would have been a debut for the other two. With Development team regulars like O'Sullivan and Tutonda moving on and the likelihood that there will be more to follow, it's almost akin to everyone moving up an age group when it comes to our young players and results will probably suffer for a while, but it needs to be stressed that sending a so called Under 18 team that is in reality full of 15 and 16 year olds and Under 23 team which is virtually full of teenagers to play at Charlton is as hard a league assignment as they'll get.

I think it's great that these academy players are being pushed to their limits Bob.

It's no good leaving these kids in their comfort zone as we have done in recent years even if it does get us into the play offs of the dvp league.

I'd much rather see a 17 year playing against 23 year old so that by the time he gets to 19 he's ready to play adult football.

This has been my issue with the dvp squad for a long time. I think Nicholson was just there to promote himself and not for the benefit of Cardiff City football club.

Under 23s at home tonight - it will be interesting to see what the team looks like, could be a bunch of Academy kids or could be like recent home matches where half the team have been senior squad members.

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/...h-3517123.aspx

Under 23s at home tonight - it will be interesting to see what the team looks like, could be a bunch of Academy kids or could be like recent home matches where half the team have been senior squad members.

A few weeks ago Warnock was quoted saying that Rhys Heeley and a few others would be given practice matches in early January so they could be assessed by the management team to decide if they stay or go out on loan (again). Apart from Heeley there are a lot of other 'senior' players who haven't kicked a ball in anger for a while, or are feeding on scraps. The u23 game might be an opportunity to give some of them a run out along with Academy players? If not I expect something else to be arranged for the likes of Heeley, Kennedy, John, O'Keefe, Guonongbe, Ajayi...

Have any more of the loan players come back this month? Deji Oshilaja?

(In their coverage of Tom James' move to Yeovil Wales Online are saying that Tommy O'Sullivan has also got a club - has anyone seen reports that his trial with Colchester has been made permanent?)

And Theo Wharton on trial with Russell Slade at Coventry.

https://coventryobserver.co.uk/sport...samba-diakite/
    Last edited by jon1959; 16-01-17 at 14:02.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    And Theo Wharton on trial with Russell Slade at Coventry.

https://coventryobserver.co.uk/sport...samba-diakite/
    I think anyone over 21 and not involved in the first team set up is going to get moved on. We might make a mistake and miss someone but I think it's the right thing to do for the players, as they're not going to kick on here. Hopefully it allows people like Mark Harris to get more game time and more chances. Slade taking a chance on Wharton is quite funny given his reluctance to play any of the youngsters during his tenure!

Sion Spence in the squad tonight,Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro de la Rosa View Post
    I think anyone over 21 and not involved in the first team set up is going to get moved on. We might make a mistake and miss someone but I think it's the right thing to do for the players, as they're not going to kick on here. Hopefully it allows people like Mark Harris to get more game time and more chances. Slade taking a chance on Wharton is quite funny given his reluctance to play any of the youngsters during his tenure!
    Prioritising a 22 year old academy player from a higher division over a potentially equally talented and younger player from within seems exactly like a Slade move. Tapping into his experience to find a player who is likely to be useful addition is where it all falls down.

I wonder how many players from our youth set-up look somewhat enviously at Tom Lockyer? He was released from the academy much sooner than those who have been waiting for an opportunity and has now played 156 games of senior football. Bristol Rovers aren't a million miles away from a play-off place either.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    I wonder how many players from our youth set-up look somewhat enviously at Tom Lockyer? He was released from the academy much sooner than those who have been waiting for an opportunity and has now played 156 games of senior football. Bristol Rovers aren't a million miles away from a play-off place either.
    We can add Wes Burns and Regan Poole to that list too. But I think that's the nature of the beast when it comes to academies. Many will be late bloomers and I can't solely blame CCFC for that. It's a bit of a double edged sword. Reduce the numbers in the academy and there are bound to be some slipping through the net.

Think Bellamy nailed it the other week when he said that players have got to start looking like they have senior potential when they hit 18/19.

I'm not against us having a big number of players at the younger age groups though because of the examples we mention above. If the DVP player ages are younger altogether then that should mean we have more teenagers at the club than previously. So hopefully less losses with the likes of Poole etc.

These changes should've been made a while ago, but it's good it's been rectified now.

Blue in the Face

By the way, anyone at the game tonight. Have a look out for the Ipswich keeper Michael Crowe. Norwegian qualified but has so far opted for Wales and has played for the Welsh youth sides quite a bit. There has been a great rivalry with Man City youth player Billy O'Brien (also dual qualified) for the u21s no.1 spot. Think he has a lot of potential and I expect at least one of these two to be challenging for the Welsh senior squad over the next few years...

Tonight's team

Wilson, Halford, John, Veale (c), Coxe, Ajayi, Southam, Waite, Healey, Harris, Kennedy

Subs Abbruzzese, O'Reilly, Spence, Meite, Young

Nice to say Jamie Veale back in action after a long injury absence.

Any latest scores?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bob Banker Spanker View Post
    Any latest scores?
    According to **** 1-0 at HT. Healey with the goal.