+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Thanks Paul! I can't see this thread working without your contributions. But if you think your blog isn't getting enough attention it could have by starting individual threads then of course ditch this idea. My hope is we can have an ongoing log of all the DVP stuff, your write ups being the main content. I'll also add all the youtube vids of the highlight reels from this season when I get the time.

I'm really encouraged from having read your write up. That is the youngest DVP side I can remember us fielding in a long long time. Great to see some young faces promoted and also getting international recognition. Do you think the likes of Coxe, Welch and So Sani are ready to do well at this level? It seems Coxe has been a stand out player at the younger age groups in the past. He reminds me a little of a young Mark Delaney.

It sounds like Weymans is now starting to do well too and has versatility on his side. What do you think his best position might end up being?
    No, I think it's a good idea to have one thread about the lower level teams at the club in the same way as we did that one about Glamorgan during the cricket season - I don't mind putting my blog pieces on Academy and Development teams on here either.

I'm not sure that yesterday was the best time to judge how well or otherwise the Academy lads will do at the higher level because, having checked the Barnsley side, they only had two players with any first team experience in their team, so, in many ways, it was just another age group game. The Birmingham team that beat our Under 23s 4-0 about a month ago had a smattering of first teamers in it and I think it's probably matches like that which give you a better idea as to who the youngsters are that rise to a challenge rather than be intimidated by it.

That's a good comparison for Cameron Coxe, who is very attack minded - Barnsley were dangerous down their flanks and he had his hands full defensively at times because he was up against one of that pair of first teamers I mentioned earlier, but, much like his team, he grew into the game as it went on and was able to do more of what he is best at in the second half before he was substituted.

Based on what I've seen so far this season, a decision looks to have been made that City see Weymans as a midfielder rather than a full back - he played central midfield yesterday and has operated on the left at times. He's more of an influence in games this season and there's nearly always one or two moments of skill which really stand out from him, but the game still passes him by at times.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    No, I think it's a good idea to have one thread about the lower level teams at the club in the same way as we did that one about Glamorgan during the cricket season - I don't mind putting my blog pieces on Academy and Development teams on here either.

I'm not sure that yesterday was the best time to judge how well or otherwise the Academy lads will do at the higher level because, having checked the Barnsley side, they only had two players with any first team experience in their team, so, in many ways, it was just another age group game. The Birmingham team that beat our Under 23s 4-0 about a month ago had a smattering of first teamers in it and I think it's probably matches like that which give you a better idea as to who the youngsters are that rise to a challenge rather than be intimidated by it.

That's a good comparison for Cameron Coxe, who is very attack minded - Barnsley were dangerous down their flanks and he had his hands full defensively at times because he was up against one of that pair of first teamers I mentioned earlier, but, much like his team, he grew into the game as it went on and was able to do more of what he is best at in the second half before he was substituted.

Based on what I've seen so far this season, a decision looks to have been made that City see Weymans as a midfielder rather than a full back - he played central midfield yesterday and has operated on the left at times. He's more of an influence in games this season and there's nearly always one or two moments of skill which really stand out from him, but the game still passes him by at times.
    Yes it was the Glammy and the Film 16 threads that made me think we should do this.

Thanks for the write up on Coxe and Weymans. Very insightful.

I'm finding the rotation of players quite encouraging this year. It seems we're destined to not have as high a finish as with recent seasons but perhaps this gives us a license to prioritise pushing the comfort zone of the younger players and get them used to older age groups ahead of time. I think you and Gringo said that this was the new remit of the academy over the summer.

I wonder if we're due a Ben Davies moment with one of our youth players one of these days. Davies was barely touted as a future star in their academy, but was thrown in the deep end of their first team because of injuries and is obviously one of the key players for Wales. Perhaps the next DVP player to break through might be someone who wasn't expected to?

Blue in the Face

Unfortunately the academy and development highlights on youtube are purposefully minimal so as to encourage people to subscribe to Cardiff City Player. That's fair enough, but it's a shame that the highlights on Player aren't a lot more comprehensive too.

I'm not sure it's really worth bumping this thread with these highlight reels if the vids are this brief...

ACADEMY: BRISTOL CITY 2-1 CARDIFF CITY