+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: academy players in first team

academy players in first team

Ralls, Bagan, Ramsey(!), I Davies, Colwill, Ashford, King, Fagan-Walcott - all academy products and all potential starters next year.

Giles, Turner, and Joel Colwill have all been in the matchday squad but I suspect that wouldn't have been the case if our loan-outs been available.

Either way I can't remember that many ever making a claim for first team football.

International

Re: academy players in first team

I think youth strength may mean far less need for loan players when the window is closing. Less desperate time!

Quote Originally Posted by PhyllisStant View Post
    Ralls, Bagan, Ramsey(!), I Davies, Colwill, Ashford, King, Fagan-Walcott - all academy products and all potential starters next year.

Giles, Turner, and Joel Colwill have all been in the matchday squad but I suspect that wouldn't have been the case if our loan-outs been available.

Either way I can't remember that many ever making a claim for first team football.
    Indeed, on the face of it that looks encouraging. The reality is though are some of them good enough, A summer transfer window that could see them further back than they already are and a change of manager who doesn't fancy them as players. The other scenario is that a change of manager might enhance their progress. So many variables....

These lads all have promise, sadly the championship is very unforgiven, draining, intense and physical, not a place where youngsters in large numbers can all play week in and out, you can see that with Rubin who alledgly is the most promising.

We have seen the likes of Rooney play at a very young age, however he had the physical attributes and determination.

Change of manager won't change the demands of the championship

International

Quote Originally Posted by xsnaggle View Post
    I think youth strength may mean far less need for loan players when the window is closing. Less desperate time!
    It's really good there has been development and we have lost a few exceptional youngsters to the big boys too, so some big improvements. We will always need the full loan allocation, for Championship teams they are the best players in the league, we can't waste any this time either. Hopefully, some quality attacking players like Wilson, Dramah, Kaba, Philogene, and defenders like Kipre and Phillips.

a report on some that left in recent times

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/...-city-29039852

Quote Originally Posted by life on mars View Post
    These lads all have promise, sadly the championship is very unforgiven, draining, intense and physical, not a place where youngsters in large numbers can all play week in and out, you can see that with Rubin who alledgly is the most promising.

We have seen the likes of Rooney play at a very young age, however he had the physical attributes and determination.

Change of manager won't change the demands of the championship
    Looks like they should do the same as Isaac Davies has done and get some first team action away from here and see what happens. He will come back a much more experienced player. Even if he cant cut it here - he'll be ok at any other L1 / lower championship club.

Personally - would love to a crop of kids being given a chance. Hopefully against Boro - he may play some of the kids again.

Quote Originally Posted by pipster View Post
    Looks like they should do the same as Isaac Davies has done and get some first team action away from here and see what happens. He will come back a much more experienced player. Even if he cant cut it here - he'll be ok at any other L1 / lower championship club.

Personally - would love to a crop of kids being given a chance. Hopefully against Boro - he may play some of the kids again.
    I doubt it