+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blue in the Face

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I think Spence turned 17 last month.

Regarding the second point, the Under 23 side is also called the Development team. so the original intention was, surely, to "develop" young players and make the jump into first team football less of a steep one?

The system being used this season seems to be designed to stop teenagers challenging for a first team place (except for in some Cup games or meaningless end of season matches), so it's essentially a confirmation of the unofficial policy that has been in place for a few years now - that is we don't pick teenagers for Championship matches unless there is nothing to play for.

I don't agree with keeping someone like Spence in the youth team when his performances this season are better than they were last year when he played far more for the Development team than he is doing now, but I suppose a structure whereby players eligible for the Under 18s stuck with them until they reached nineteen wouldn't be a disaster as long as there was a recognition that an Under 18 player can come along every now and then who is good enough to do a decent job for the first team in a meaningful Championship match - lately, there seems to be a view prevailing at the club that any teenager cannot be good enough to play in a league match in which the points are important.
    You're making some very persuasive points here and I find myself agreeing with you're saying, specifically in regard to the player mentioned. If we are see him hold back all season then it certainly seems a mystifying choice. There is surely the spaces in the DVP to allow for the younger players to be promoted and perhaps, as you make the point very well, they should be promoted sooner rather than later. But it does seem to be a considered choice to hold back the brighter hopefuls at present. Could it be that perhaps someone like CB has requested to work with these lads a tad longer before they player in the higher age groups? Or perhaps a physical growth consideration with the player/s?

I just wonder if, for the short term, we have a bit of an issue with the DVP team in that it appears really disjointed at present and perhaps not the best environment to build confidence? Confidence building seems to be what a lot of coaches argue is the most important factor in developing youth players. The DVP side seems to be troublingly low on personel at present and I wonder if it might be a tad damaging to the likes of Coxe and Harris who might benefit from being in a more stable and balanced team? I just wonder how much they would be gaining this term when they seem to be playing with 5 or 6 new teammates every week. I'm starting to think we released too many DVP players and mess with the team a bit too much. I'm all for trialists and finding youth players to displace our own, but it seems quite problematic to have no permanent players to plug the gap.

This was the side Vs Southamption. Was Waite really our only sub!?

Ratcliffe, Coxe, Trialist, Trialist, Duffus, Young, Trialist, Trialist, Gounongbe, Harris, Trialist.

bench: Waite.

Ratcliffe, Spence and Waite start today for Wales U19.

Quote Originally Posted by emjayblue View Post
    Ratcliffe, Spence and Waite start today for Wales U19.
    Slovakia have just taken the lead after 43 minutes.