+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Curtis Nelson

Curtis Nelson

City old boy Curtis Nelson has been named as Derby County's fans' Player of the Year and players' Player of the Year for 2023/24.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2024/04/...iew-april-2024

Fair play to him. Nelson was one of those players who I felt always tried his hardest in a Cardiff shirt and he had some genuinely decent games for the club, but overall it seemed like the Championship was maybe a step too far for him. He's obviously done well at Derby though, so it looks like he'll get another chance at this level next season (he's been ever-present in Derby's League One games this season).

The Rams need only a point tomorrow lunchtime to be certain of automatic promotion and they're home to already-relegated Carlisle, so they're long odds-on to make it. They have averaged crowds of more than 27,000 this season, which is good going in League One.

Re: Curtis Nelson

Nelson was a decent squad member for us in the Championship. Really to progress we needed better but we end up with Jack Simpson.!!!

I wonder how big the gap is now between L1 and the Championship. Nelson , James Collins , Mendez -Laing regulars there and Ebou Adams has done really well on loan.

Does Marlon Pack feature regularly at Portsmouth.?

Rotherham and Peterborough seem to yo yo between the leagues.

I would say theres a big gulf in standard but then Ipswich could have a double promotion.

Always thought he was a solid defender with good physical attributes, but was just a bit too agricultural for the modern game. His passing and touch was definitely not Championship level, but he would have probably played at a higher level 15-20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    Nelson was a decent squad member for us in the Championship. Really to progress we needed better but we end up with Jack Simpson.!!!

I wonder how big the gap is now between L1 and the Championship. Nelson , James Collins , Mendez -Laing regulars there and Ebou Adams has done really well on loan.

Rotherham and Peterborough seem to yo yo between the leagues.

I would say theres a big gulf in standard but then Ipswich could have a double promotion.
    Pack was in the PFA League One team of the year, not sure that’s too reliable a guide.

Aden Flint was in the League Two side as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilts View Post
    37 (+1) League One appearances, 3 goals and Player of Year.

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/...n%20the%20week.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
    37 (+1) League One appearances, 3 goals and Player of Year.

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/...n%20the%20week.
    Yes the Pompey fans I know down here have been raving about his performances this season and say he is more than capable of playing championship football. They are confident they will do well next season, I suspect they will be disappointed!

I liked Nelson, he gave his all, he could look a very good player for 99% of the game but there always seem to be that mistake in him and they seemed regular.

Because many have had decent seasons, there'd be plenty of fans who'd look at these players and say we should look at signing them over the summer.
    Most players find their correct level, and these seem to have found theirs since leaving us.

Great defender, easily championship level in the olden days, but modern managers want more than a defender being good at defending.

A bit like our keeper who i believe is a really good old school keeper but we'll get in trouble if we keep expecting him to receive the ball every time a defender doesn't want to take responsibility