+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 164 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141555105 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Just been confirmed on Twitter that City's Development team host Blackburn this afternoon in a Premier League Cup game at what I assume is Leckwith Stadium - your guess is as good as mine as to kick off time, but I'm going to get there for 2 o clock.

https://twitter.com/cardiffcitydvp?lang=en&lang=en
    Blackburn think it's 2.00:

http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article...p-3450333.aspx

Good to see Welch and Harris getting deserved starts at this level.

CARDIFF: O'Reilly, Rees, Tutonda, Welch, James, Baker, Harris, Wharton, Phipps, O'Sullivan, Abbruzzese.

Subs: Blaise, Byrne, Waite, Coxe, Meite.

ROVERS: Fisher, Travis, Doyle, Tomlinson, Platt, Wharton (c), Mahoney, Hardcastle, Mansell, Rankin-Costello, Thomson.

Subs: Magloire, Powell, Grayson, Rittenberg, Butterworth.

56th minute still 0 - 0

Ibrahim Meite has just come on for Eli Phipps. I don't recognise Meite's name. Has he been around long?

I think he's the non-league kid who many clubs were linked with last week. Fair play to the club they are not pissing about at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    56th minute still 0 - 0

Ibrahim Meite has just come on for Eli Phipps. I don't recognise Meite's name. Has he been around long?
    http://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/sport/...boss_1_4734629

Finished 0-0 and I'm afraid I've now watched two goalless draws in the bitter cold where very little happened in forty eight hours. At least on Saturday we were gaining a worthy point against a good side, but today's game had nothing going for it at all. The only effort worth recording from City was a shot from thirty yards by Tommy O'Sullivan that the Blackburn keeper did well to tip over the bar, while Blackburn's number six wasted a good chance when he headed a deflected cross straight at Luke O'Reilly. Apart from that there was a lot of balls bashed up in the air by both teams, but what good football there was tended to come a bit more from City who were able to work some promising crossing positions only to invariably get the final ball wrong.

Just reading about Ibrahim Meite - he came on at half time and started on the right wing before going into a more central position after Mark Harris went off. To be honest, he didn't do a great deal to take the eye - there was a half hearted penalty shout as he tried to get on the end of David Tutonda cross, but, to be fair, it wasn't the sort of game where a trialist would come in and impress - best players for us were probably the centrebacks James and Baker with the latter continuing what has been a good spell for him at this level.

Blue in the Face

The Other Bob's write up on the DVP's home Premier League Cup match with Blackburn...

"Miserable fare at Leckwith following Warnock’s shake up of City’s Under 23s."

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/misera...tys-under-23s/

Will be interesting to see if trialist Ibrahim Meite gets another chance

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    The Other Bob's write up on the DVP's home Premier League Cup match with Blackburn...

"Miserable fare at Leckwith following Warnock’s shake up of City’s Under 23s."

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/misera...tys-under-23s/

Will be interesting to see if trialist Ibrahim Meite gets another chance
    Highlights are now on the club site for Cardiff City World subscribers - blink and you'll miss them mind.

Blue in the Face

Highlights are now on the club site for Cardiff City World subscribers - blink and you'll miss them mind.
    Oh that does seem a poor game. And in the freezing cold too. Thanks for your dutiful service once again.

In the players defence, it must've been a bit of a de-motivator knowing that many of them don't have their futures here. Good luck to the players that leave. I think on or two could really benefit greatly from moving on.

Oh that does seem a poor game. And in the freezing cold too. Thanks for your dutiful service once again.

In the players defence, it must've been a bit of a de-motivator knowing that many of them don't have their futures here. Good luck to the players that leave. I think on or two could really benefit greatly from moving on.
    I mentioned that there was a bigger than normal crowd (including a few supporting Blackburn) for a Monday afternoon match at Leckwith and it did occur to me that a few scouts might have come along in wake of last week's story.

Blue in the Face

I mentioned that there was a bigger than normal crowd (including a few supporting Blackburn) for a Monday afternoon match at Leckwith and it did occur to me that a few scouts might have come along in wake of last week's story.
    Hope there were some keen scouts there for the sake of any departing players

A report on the Under 18s win over the wurzels this lunchtime.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Blue in the Face

A report on the Under 18s win over the wurzels this lunchtime.

Great report.

Who was the player singled out for praise from Warnock by the way? Welch or Harris?

I haven't had much of a chance to see Welch, but encouraging to read your reports. What mould of player would you say he is at this stage?

Great report.

Who was the player singled out for praise from Warnock by the way? Welch or Harris?

I haven't had much of a chance to see Welch, but encouraging to read your reports. What mould of player would you say he is at this stage?
    Thanks.

Mark Harris is the Academy player Neil Warnock has mentioned once or twice in public.

As for Welch, he was playing in a deep lying quarterback type role in the early weeks of the season, but I felt quite sorry for him then, because the full backs were forever bombing forward and we were often left with him and the two centrebacks trying to cope with three or four opposing attackers running at them on the counter attack.

In recent games though, Scott Young's boy has been playing as a defensive midfielder who keeps things pretty simple (much of the time he just passes to Welch when he gets the ball). This has enabled Welch to play a bit further upfield - he still doesn't tend to venture too far forward, but there has been an improvement in team and his personal performance since then.

When he was playing so deep, Welch used to try a lot of long, aerial balls that looked great when they came off, but there were many times when he was just giving the ball back to the opposition. Playing ten or fifteen yards further up the pitch, still gives him scope to play what I call "Hollywood" passes, but he mixes things up more now and I was particularly impressed on Saturday by how good he was at playing perfectly weighted passes of about twenty yards or so inside the wurzels' full backs for our wingers or full backs to run on to - Saturday was possibly as good a game as I seen him have for the Under 18s and, if Harris is probably the one in the Under 18 squad closest to making a first team debut, I'd say Welch is second closest.
    Last edited by the other bob wilson; 12-12-16 at 10:01.

Blue in the Face

Thanks.

Mark Harris is the Academy player Neil Warnock has mentioned once or twice in public.

As for Welch, he was playing in a deep lying quarterback type role in the early weeks of the season, but I felt quite sorry for him then, because the full backs were forever bombing forward and we were often left with him and the two centrebacks trying to cope with three or four opposing attackers running at them on the counter attack.

In recent games though, Scott Young's boy has been playing as a defensive midfielder who keeps things pretty simple (much of the time he just passes to Welch when he gets the ball). This has enabled Welch to play a bit further upfield - he still doesn't tend to venture too far forward, but there has been an improvement in team and his personal performance since then.

When he was playing so deep, Welch used to try a lot of long, aerial balls that looked great when they came off, but there were many times when he was just giving the ball back to the opposition. Playing ten or fifteen yards further up the pitch, still gives him scope to play what I call "Hollywood" passes, but he mixes things up more now and I was particularly impressed on Saturday by how good he was at playing perfectly weighted passes of about twenty yards or so inside the wurzels' full backs for our wingers or full backs to run on to - Saturday was possibly as good a game as I seen him have for the Under 18s and, if Harris is probably the one in the Under 18 squad closest to making a first team debut, I'd say Welch is second closest.
    That's a really enlightening response Paul. I'm very grateful that you took the time to write that.

Thanks.

That's a fair assessment Bob.

When i watched him last season i thought he looked way off and perhaps carried a bit of weight but he looks leaner and sharper this season.

His right foot is an absolute wand which has sometimes ironically been his downfall as he tended to look for the Hollywood pass far too often but as you observed he seems to be using the ball far better now he's been pushed further up the field.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    That's a fair assessment Bob.

When i watched him last season i thought he looked way off and perhaps carried a bit of weight but he looks leaner and sharper this season.

His right foot is an absolute wand which has sometimes ironically been his downfall as he tended to look for the Hollywood pass far too often but as you observed he seems to be using the ball far better now he's been pushed further up the field.
    I agree about him looking fitter this season Gringo - he certainly has no problem lasting the ninety minutes at Under 18 level.

I see the Development team are playing at Bristol City at 1 o clock today

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/2...h-3464012.aspx

No news on the team yet, but my guess is that we may see one or two first team squad members involved because they'll want players like Harris, Welch and, possibly, Rhys Abbruzzese for tomorrow night's Youth Cup game.

I agree about him looking fitter this season Gringo - he certainly has no problem lasting the ninety minutes at Under 18 level.

I see the Development team are playing at Bristol City at 1 o clock today

http://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/2...h-3464012.aspx

No news on the team yet, but my guess is that we may see one or two first team squad members involved because they'll want players like Harris, Welch and, possibly, Rhys Abbruzzese for tomorrow night's Youth Cup game.
    Finished 3-3 - Semi Ajayi played, as did Jamie Bird and Lloyd Humphries, so their loan spell at Weston Super Mare must have ended. There were a couple of goals for Peter Skapetis who had played, and scored, as a trialist for us against QPR a few weeks back, with Tommy O'Sullivan (pen) getting the other one. We scored to go 3-2 ahead in the ninetieth minute, only for the wurzels to come back.

https://twitter.com/bcfctweets?ref_s...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Blue in the Face

Who ever is in charge of City's DVP twitter account seems to have lost the will to tweet, so I can't see the team sheet. Seems we have two trialists at the club currently.

A few Welshies for Brizzle. Lemonhiegh-Evans is a Welsh winger/forward. Joe McNulty is dual qualified (England and Wales) and has played for our u17s. Their DVP captain Joe Morrell looked an excellent prospect for Brizzle a couple of years ago and played today. He's captained Wales at u19 level a fair few times. He has a slight frame for a centre mid so he needs to really excel to make it, but I'm still hoping he comes good for Wales' sake.

Rollin Menayese has signed for Weston-super-Mare after his release.

http://www.westonsmareafc.co.uk/cent...rdiff-city-fc/

That's after two recent loans from the Academy? What's the connection between the clubs?

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Rollin Menayese has signed for Weston-super-Mare after his release.

http://www.westonsmareafc.co.uk/cent...rdiff-city-fc/

That's after two recent loans from the Academy? What's the connection between the clubs?
    I thought Rollin would get more time with us. Hopefully this will be a great move for him. He has good natural talent and there's no reason why he can't work his way up the leagues in the future. Good luck Rollin.

Blue in the Face

U23/DVP | MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL vs. COVENTRY CITY

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/...y-3472448.aspx

We've got PDL action this Monday evening (7pm) as Cardiff City's U23 development side host Coventry City at Cardiff City Stadium in their final match before Christmas.

U23/DVP | MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL vs. COVENTRY CITY

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/...y-3472448.aspx

We've got PDL action this Monday evening (7pm) as Cardiff City's U23 development side host Coventry City at Cardiff City Stadium in their final match before Christmas.

Good report Bob and like you say we should all be willing to see u23 results falter for the bigger picture.

Players like Spence, Coxe, Welch, Harris, Waite should be pushed to their limits and out of their comfort zone in order to potentially fast track them to the first team.

I believe Jarrad Harvey was the lead coach last night not Matthew Bloxham and it's great to see Spence in particular being pushed so far.

Shame Warnock and co weren't at the club before Matondo left as I'm sure there would have been more interest expressed in him than there was by Slade that may have influenced his decision.