+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 23 of 164 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323373123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Isn't it now the case that loan transfers between football league clubs are no longer permitted outside the formal transfer windows? So any loan at this time of year could only be to a non-league club. Doesn't mean that clubs at a higher level wouldn't be interested in him. Maybe he'll go somewhere else in January.
    Good spot. Even so, Hereford FC are still several divisions below League Two - surely even doing something like bumping him up to train with first team would aid his development more than this loan?

In case anybody intended watching the U23's v Coventry tomorrow, it's postponed.
    https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...ry-city-moved/

Blue in the Face

Harries and Coxe playing for the u21s Vs Romania.

Really good start to the game. High tempo.

Live on S4C

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Harries and Coxe playing for the u21s Vs Romania.

Really good start to the game. High tempo.

Live on S4C
    Watched the first half and thought Romania would go on to win based on the way they finished the first forty five minutes. However, I was pleased initially when I checked at half time against Panama and heard that the match finished 0-0 - my mood changed a few seconds later when the radio announcer said that Romania had two players sent off in the second half!

Anyway, City's Under 18s are in action against Coventry this morning (11.30 kick off) - for some reason, the game is being played at Dragon Park, Newport.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    I'm not sure if it's been his choice or ours to play him at centre-half, we might find out now. I'm not aware of him playing there before he came to us. I haven't seen much of him but he looks like an excellent footballer who'd be comfortable in a number of positions.
    To answer my own question, Tyrone Duffus played in central midfield today on his debut for Hereford. Got two goals and the man-of-the-match award in a 5-0 win.

To answer my own question, Tyrone Duffus played in central midfield today on his debut for Hereford. Got two goals and the man-of-the-match award in a 5-0 win.
    I made a prediction at the last Under 23 match that I saw (think it was the defeat by Southampton in that Premier League Cup) that Duffus would play for the first team this season if our campaign tails off into mid table mediocrity - as I've only had one pint throughout 2017, I cannot use the excuse that I was pissed at the time I came out with that beauty!

Truth is though, that I've been increasingly impressed by Duffus' performances at centre back, but you've got me thinking what I was when I first saw him play there now - why play someone who was an attacking midfielder when we signed him there?

Incidentally, we lost the Academy match with Coventry that I mentioned in my previous post in this thread 2-0 if anyone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I made a prediction at the last Under 23 match that I saw (think it was the defeat by Southampton in that Premier League Cup) that Duffus would play for the first team this season if our campaign tails off into mid table mediocrity - as I've only had one pint throughout 2017, I cannot use the excuse that I was pissed at the time I came out with that beauty!

Truth is though, that I've been increasingly impressed by Duffus' performances at centre back, but you've got me thinking what I was when I first saw him play there now - why play someone who was an attacking midfielder when we signed him there?

Incidentally, we lost the Academy match with Coventry that I mentioned in my previous post in this thread 2-0 if anyone is interested.
    Not that crazy at all, I'd have had him first in line to step up to the first team from the under-23s. In fact, there were so many injuries and suspensions yesterday that he may have been drafted into the squad as cover if he'd been here.

It's odd that he's played at centre-half here. I wonder if part of the problem with him is that we found ourselves with too many good central midfielders at that level, with Veale and Waite there too, and this has been the way to accommodate the three of them and still leave room for trialists or a first-teamer needing pitch time. What's happened to Lloyd Humphries by the way, any idea?

One small thing about your first team match report, it's shoo-in not shoe in. I normally hate that kind of pedantry on here but I thought you might be interested in the derivation.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_...ages/1047.html

Not that crazy at all, I'd have had him first in line to step up to the first team from the under-23s. In fact, there were so many injuries and suspensions yesterday that he may have been drafted into the squad as cover if he'd been here.

It's odd that he's played at centre-half here. I wonder if part of the problem with him is that we found ourselves with too many good central midfielders at that level, with Veale and Waite there too, and this has been the way to accommodate the three of them and still leave room for trialists or a first-teamer needing pitch time. What's happened to Lloyd Humphries by the way, any idea?

One small thing about your first team match report, it's shoo-in not shoe in. I normally hate that kind of pedantry on here but I thought you might be interested in the derivation.

I've already been told about "shoo in" on the blog - albeit you did it in a way I appreciated more .

Maybe you're right about Duffus, but centreback? I'd prefer us trying to turn him into a striker.

I see we made it into the next round of the Welsh Youth Cup yesterday with a 6-0 win over BFLAFCYOUTH - think they're from Briton Ferry.

Blue in the Face

Regarding Duffus, I that I take it you guys see him as a better midfielder? Encouraging to hear about his progress. Sounds like a good signing.

Lloyd Humphries was one of the walking wounded sitting in the stand at the DVP game against Southampton. He looked ok but he was with another couple of injured players.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Regarding Duffus, I that I take it you guys see him as a better midfielder? Encouraging to hear about his progress. Sounds like a good signing.
    I can't comment on his midfield play because I've only ever seen him play centreback (a position that it seems none of the other teams he's played for ever select him in!). All I can say is that he's got progressively better as a centreback over the past three months and I'd rate him as probably our best player in the last three or four Development team matches I've seen him play in.

Blue in the Face

I'd gathered that you have seen progress and rate him from your reports. I seem to have recall that having checked his profile on the Everton website when we signed him that they had him down as a utility player who could play in defence and all the roles in centre mid. Think his brother is a striker too if I remember right.

Encouraging anyway. Only shame is, where is his chance going to come from for the seniors as an attacking mid? Have we ever been this spoilt for attacking mids? Tomlin is probably the best luxury player we've ever had.

Blue in the Face

CB has been holding back awhile by saying he's not ready for full management, which has has been for the benefit of our academy. But perhaps it might not be too long before he graduates and leaves our u18s. I would wish him well when he does move, but from a selfish point of view, I'd like him to stay put.

Craig Bellamy admits to firm interest in vacant Wales job

http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...cant-wales-job

Another goal for Tyrone Duffus tonight as Hereford won 4-0 to go second in their league. Not a great level but it's been a good start for him there.

Another goal for Tyrone Duffus tonight as Hereford won 4-0 to go second in their league. Not a great level but it's been a good start for him there.
    Interesting snippet on the club website promoting the u23 match with Bristol City on Monday:

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...-bristol-city/

Since our last league match, midfielder Tyrone Duffus has joined Southern Premier League side Hereford FC on a youth loan. During this time, Tyrone will still be eligible to play U23/DVP league and cup matches for the Bluebirds. In two league appearances so far, Tyrone has netted three times for the Bulls.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    Interesting snippet on the club website promoting the u23 match with Bristol City on Monday:

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...-bristol-city/

Since our last league match, midfielder Tyrone Duffus has joined Southern Premier League side Hereford FC on a youth loan. During this time, Tyrone will still be eligible to play U23/DVP league and cup matches for the Bluebirds. In two league appearances so far, Tyrone has netted three times for the Bulls.
    There was a similar arrangement when Lloyd Humphries was at Weston last season, it seems like a good deal. I guess Duffus will still do most of his training with us and is available to play if things don't work out at Hereford but with them having two games most weeks and him doing well so far I'd be surprised if he plays again for us before the loan spell is over.

Hereford aren't playing at a high level but I can't see any harm in Duffus going there. Playing competitive games (including an FA Cup tie at Fleetwood) in front of decent crowds is surely better than playing a handful of under-23 games in a wind-blasted athletics stadium in front of TOBW, Cyncoed Slumdog and the girlfriend of one of the subs.

It seems to have fallen to me to provide updates on the progress of Tyrone Duffus at Hereford. I'm happy to do it, he looks like a talented player and I'm interested to see how he does there. I'll check on his performances and put any relevant information in this thread.

The latest news on him is that he injured his hamstring in the week and is out for a month.

Blue in the Face

It seems to have fallen to me to provide updates on the progress of Tyrone Duffus at Hereford. I'm happy to do it, he looks like a talented player and I'm interested to see how he does there. I'll check on his performances and put any relevant information in this thread.

The latest news on him is that he injured his hamstring in the week and is out for a month.

#lonewatch
    #moanwatch

The Under 23 side are at home to the wurzels today, so if anyone fancies joining me, Cyncoed Slumdog and the girlfriend of one of the subs at the wind blasted Leckwith athletics stadium it kicks off at 1pm.

Also, there was a defeat for the Under 18s at Millwall on Saturday despite a second hat trick of the season for Sion Spence - the match finished 4-3. Wonder if he'll get some game time today in what should be a young Development team side?

The Under 23 side are at home to the wurzels today, so if anyone fancies joining me, Cyncoed Slumdog and the girlfriend of one of the subs at the wind blasted Leckwith athletics stadium it kicks off at 1pm.

Also, there was a defeat for the Under 18s at Millwall on Saturday despite a second hat trick of the season for Sion Spence - the match finished 4-3. Wonder if he'll get some game time today in what should be a young Development team side?
    TOBW and I duly attended today but, unfortunately, only one sub was named (Warren Burwood, a goalkeeper) and his girlfriend couldn't be there which made a significant difference to today's attendance. I'm assuming Loramski was also lurking behind a pillar somewhere but today's royal engagement also appears to have kept a number of celebrating supporters away.
    Quite frankly, news of Harry's betrothal was probably more interesting than this game although there was a certain comedic value about the standard of play on occasions. City fielded five trialists and I learned during the match that the Wurzels were also playing a trial match behind closed doors against Newport simultaneously making this fixture even more meaningless than usual.
    City were somehow two up at half time through a decent Mark Harris goal and an own goal but Brizzle had much the better of the second half, deservedly drew level and should have gone on to win.
    I am more and more of the opinion that these U23 games have little value and a return to a reserve team competition with no age limits which would give promising youngsters the opportunity to play against experienced pros returning from injury or loss of form would be a better platform for all concerned. Judging by the team fielded today, I'm wondering if the Club are also beginning to think these games are of little use.

When I say Hereford get decent crowds in comparison to our under-23s I'm referring to quantity rather than quality, of course.

Where is Spence playing for the Academy to be getting all these goals? I haven't seen much of him but he looked a bit lost last season playing wide in a front 3, he was far more comfortable in the midfield without ever looking like a goalscorer in the way that Waite does. Obviously, the Academy is an easier level for him but is it as simple as that or has he changed his style of play at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    TOBW and I duly attended today but, unfortunately, only one sub was named (Warren Burwood, a goalkeeper) and his girlfriend couldn't be there which made a significant difference to today's attendance. I'm assuming Loramski was also lurking behind a pillar somewhere but today's royal engagement also appears to have kept a number of celebrating supporters away.
    Quite frankly, news of Harry's betrothal was probably more interesting than this game although there was a certain comedic value about the standard of play on occasions. City fielded five trialists and I learned during the match that the Wurzels were also playing a trial match behind closed doors against Newport simultaneously making this fixture even more meaningless than usual.
    City were somehow two up at half time through a decent Mark Harris goal and an own goal but Brizzle had much the better of the second half, deservedly drew level and should have gone on to win.
    I am more and more of the opinion that these U23 games have little value and a return to a reserve team competition with no age limits which would give promising youngsters the opportunity to play against experienced pros returning from injury or loss of form would be a better platform for all concerned. Judging by the team fielded today, I'm wondering if the Club are also beginning to think these games are of little use.
    Couldn't make today's game. There was a brainstorming session in the Loan Watch office and, quite frankly, I needed to be there. I shouldn't be rude about my staff but you'd be lucky to get a gentle breeze out of their brains, never mind a storm.

Hard to disagree with your last paragraph, I've been coming to the same conclusion recently. I was posting stuff about the Duffus move and thinking 'I'm sure this wasn't always my view'. I really couldn't think of one negative about it (until he pulled his hamstring, of course).

When I say Hereford get decent crowds in comparison to our under-23s I'm referring to quantity rather than quality, of course.

Where is Spence playing for the Academy to be getting all these goals? I haven't seen much of him but he looked a bit lost last season playing wide in a front 3, he was far more comfortable in the midfield without ever looking like a goalscorer in the way that Waite does. Obviously, the Academy is an easier level for him but is it as simple as that or has he changed his style of play at all?
    Spence is playing more of a number ten role these days and has occasionally been used as a striker, his finishing has improved as he has gained confidence from scoring more often and also because you only have to watch this season's Academy team play for a short while to realise that he is the one they look to for attacking inspiration - he was good at Under 18 level last season, but sometime could fade out of games , it's different this season though, because he is a central figure in the team as opposed to someone who was often taking a back seat to the more established members of the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    Here's my blog piece on yesterday's match which concentrates on the themes you developed above - you also get a mention, but not a namecheck .

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

These are the five gems waiting to be unearthed who played on Monday.
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/f...rdiff-13965368