Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
Only just read your comments Loramski, but they tie in almost exactly with mine - here's my piece on last night's match.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/
Yes, it does feel like there's a real significance to these games now. I thought it interesting that the game was played at all, I'm sure the club wouldn't have wanted two games in three days on a wet pitch and would have wanted it moved or postponed but there was obviously an importance attached to it as Rowberry was doing the coaching again while Nicholson and Johnson spent most of the night sat in what looked like naughty chairs behind the dug-out.

On saying that, I wonder what the first-team significance was last night? A look at John as a left winger? Unlikely as he got switched to left back at half time. Another chance for Immers and to impress and a chance to look at Skapetis? Yes to both but the way we set up and played may have been more meaningful. Very close to a Slade type 4-4-2 with the ball being regularly hoofed out of defence didn't bode well early on but there was method to the madness. The first goal was stunning, the second and third weren't goals we see at first team level either.

I'm assuming that the switch to a midfield four was largely to have a look at Huws alongside a central midfield partner and while he wasn't stunning he has an energy and a desire to get forward that Whitts hasn't got coupled with a range of passing that Ralls doesn't have for now. He was involved in a lot of the breaks and other good stuff we did, he didn't go missing when QPR had the ball either. Food for thought for Warnock if he's looking to get away from the current 4-1-4-1 that Huws doesn't seem to fit into.

One other thing. If the first team were set up to play like that, who would we use up front? While Zohore is rightly fourth choice for now, surely Lambert, Fred and Chamakh would all have needed jet packs to have kept up with the breaks last night. I don't know much about Newport but get the impression that Jon Parkin's injury has led to them playing a counter-attacking game which has suited Rhys Healey perfectly. If we want to change to that type of game, have we got the style and quality of forward to make it work?