+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 35 of 164 FirstFirst ... 25262728293031323334353637383940414243444585135 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

The scheduled Academy game against second in the table Millwall at Leckwith, still appears to be on if anyone fancies some more football after last night's excitement, kick off is 12 o clock, but it may be worth checking this link every now and again for a possible postponement.

https://twitter.com/CF11Academy

There's just been a post on the site I mentioned confirming the kick off time as twelve o clock, so, presumably, it's definitely going ahead.

I believe MATEMBE is an England U-15 international. Has he played for them while at Cardiff?

Quote Originally Posted by alan_corneli View Post
    I believe MATEMBE is an England U-15 international. Has he played for them while at Cardiff?
    Not sure about that, Gringo might know. Mayembe played in the Cymru Cup last year which is for Welsh qualified lads but it looks like he started for England under-15s against the Netherlands last year too.

He nearly won the game for the Academy today, hit the post in the last minute of a 1-1 draw with Millwall. I've seen him a couple of times, he's got something about him and it'll be interesting to see how he develops from here.

Not a great performance overall today, a similar system to last night but Millwall bullied us a bit and a few players went missing. Our lone striker (Griffiths then Davies) ended up as isolated as our first team striker normally is and we were lucky to get a draw. Reynolds impressed me again, played in central midfield today and looked up for the battle. Still three points clear with two games in hand so no damage done.

My piece on yesterday's Academy match.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    My piece on yesterday's Academy match.

Good write-up, thanks for that.

My dinner's ready so I'm not going to look it up now but I'm sure the cup tie with Hull is this Wednesday night (the 5th not the 15th).

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    Good write-up, thanks for that.

My dinner's ready so I'm not going to look it up now but I'm sure the cup tie with Hull is this Wednesday night (the 5th not the 15th).
    You're right, it was confirmed at the end of the highlights package on the club's website on Saturday's game that the Hull match is being played tomorrow.

You're right, it was confirmed at the end of the highlights package on the club's website on Saturday's game that the Hull match is being played tomorrow.
    A very disappointing 2-1 loss tonight having been 1-0 up early on, Keenan Patten with the goal.

A very disappointing 2-1 loss tonight having been 1-0 up early on, Keenan Patten with the goal.
    Agree completely about the "very disappointing" comment, but we didn't play well against Millwall and should have lost that game by rights - we are a much more low scoring side without Sion Spence.

I looked at the side shown on the CF11 Academy Twitter page and it was about as strong as could be expected, but, given that goalscorer Keenan Patten was not in the squad shown, I wouldn't put a great deal of faith in them having got the rest of it right either.

Agree completely about the "very disappointing" comment, but we didn't play well against Millwall and should have lost that game by rights - we are a much more low scoring side without Sion Spence.

I looked at the side shown on the CF11 Academy Twitter page and it was about as strong as could be expected, but, given that goalscorer Keenan Patten was not in the squad shown, I wouldn't put a great deal of faith in them having got the rest of it right either.
    They only put 10 starting players on that team sheet, Patten was the one they left out. No idea why they have to jazz that up anyway, just put down the players and the subs, don't worry about fancy writing and a nice background. Do they think we want to print it off and make a poster out of it or something?

It's a decent twitter feed to be fair, I'm grateful for it. I saw that Isaak Davies was being called a winger in there so I assume Bellamy was persisting in playing him wide which does seem a waste, as you pointed out at the weekend. Ole had a thing about playing strikers out wide too, le Fondre for the first team and Danny Johnson for the DVP team spring to mind (Johnson got a late equaliser for Motherwell against Celtic last night, every dog has its day) but I don't get it. Bellamy seems to have done a great job turning two similar players into an effective front two, no idea why he'd want to change that.

I don't want to keep banging the same old drum against a brick wall (if you'll excuse the mixed metaphor) but if we've got two good strikers at that level and none at DVP level there does seem to be a simple solution if Bellamy doesn't want to use them both up top.

Here's the club's match report from last night.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...-cardiff-city/

They only put 10 starting players on that team sheet, Patten was the one they left out. No idea why they have to jazz that up anyway, just put down the players and the subs, don't worry about fancy writing and a nice background. Do they think we want to print it off and make a poster out of it or something?

It's a decent twitter feed to be fair, I'm grateful for it. I saw that Isaak Davies was being called a winger in there so I assume Bellamy was persisting in playing him wide which does seem a waste, as you pointed out at the weekend. Ole had a thing about playing strikers out wide too, le Fondre for the first team and Danny Johnson for the DVP team spring to mind (Johnson got a late equaliser for Motherwell against Celtic last night, every dog has its day) but I don't get it. Bellamy seems to have done a great job turning two similar players into an effective front two, no idea why he'd want to change that.

I don't want to keep banging the same old drum against a brick wall (if you'll excuse the mixed metaphor) but if we've got two good strikers at that level and none at DVP level there does seem to be a simple solution if Bellamy doesn't want to use them both up top.

Here's the club's match report from last night.

https://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news...-cardiff-city/
    The team sheet I saw on Twitter listed the subs, but Patten was nowhere to be seen. I agree with you though, just give us the team in the same way as they do with our opponents.

I also agree with you about playing Davies on the wing. His goalscoring record is pretty good considering the way he is used, but a couple of things stand out to me about the latest league tables for the Academy team;-

http://youthhawk.co.uk/w/index.php/2...er-18_League_2

Number one is what a poor result it was on Wednesday - as evidenced by the relative positions of us and Hull in their divisions and number two that the games we have in hand do not wholly explain why our goalscoring record is so much worse than the teams around us. We are where we are because of our excellent defensive record, rather than the goals we are scoring. As mentioned earlier in the thread, this can be explained away to some extent by Sion Spence's absence, but while he is out injured we surely would have scored more if Isaak Davies was used in the position where he forged what reputation he has today - through the middle. He can go back out wide when Spence returns if needs be, but we both saw how isolated Dan Griffiths and then Davies himself were when they were playing as lone attackers last weekend.

An excellent 5-1 win for the Academy team today against Charlton. I only saw the first half but the 4-0 lead we built up was thoroughly deserved, sharp all over the pitch with some excellent delivery matched by good finishing. Dan Griffiths was outstanding up front.

Sion Spence came on as a sub in the second half after a long injury lay off, I trust TOBW will let us know how he did. I saw Sion walk up some steps to his seat last week and he looked fine to me but I accept there may be more accurate ways of assessing someone's fitness. Hopefully he can stay injury free now and start inching his way towards a first team place.

Congratulations to City's Under 12s who were victorious in the Premier League Christmas Truce Tournament played over the weekend in Belgium.

Also, the Development side are in action this afternoon at Charlton, kick off 1 o clock.

https://twitter.com/CF11Academy

The Development team were beaten 1-0 at Charlton and Dan Martin became the latest City player to be sent off at this level - it's at least three now this season. A Charlton player was also shown a red card late on (Martin was dismissed twenty minutes earlier) as City's unbeaten run of five games I think it was came to an end.

The Development team are at home today against Colchester at Leckwith, kick off 1.00.

The Development team are at home today against Colchester at Leckwith, kick off 1.00.
    A 7-0 win today, we might even find TOBW waxing lyrical on here tomorrow. Connolly, Smithies, Madine and Damour got 90 minutes in by the look of it but James Waite upstaged them all with a hat-trick.

A 7-0 win today, we might even find TOBW waxing lyrical on here tomorrow. Connolly, Smithies, Madine and Damour got 90 minutes in by the look of it but James Waite upstaged them all with a hat-trick.
    Here's my report on the game.

Anyone who has a subscription for whatever Cardiff City World is called these days and has a spare hour or so on their hands can watch yesterday's match in what is almost it's entirety - alternatively, you can go to 55.00 to see Lloyd Humphries' screamer which is as good on video as it looked at the time.

Here's my report on the game.

So the Academy is playing three at the back, the DVP team a diamond midfield and the first team two wingers? You've got to love us. No, it seems like a huge improvement on last season at that level, long may it continue.

A very important win for the Academy team this morning. Three weeks ago, they entertained one of their rivals at the top of the league, Millwall, and were second best for much of the time in a 1-1 draw, but they have won the return game today by 2-0 thanks to a couple of first half goals from Dan Griffiths. Having lost at home to second placed Ipswich last weekend, City head into the Christmas break three points ahead of them having played a game less, while they are six in front of third placed Millwall who have also played a game more than us.

Here's Dan Griffiths' goal for the Academy against Ipswich recently. He now stands second in the top goalscorers list at that level with 12 goals and looks like an excellent prospect.

https://twitter.com/CF11Academy/stat...02822458064896

Is he a small lad? I don’t see why he or Waite couldn’t have a couple of appearances on the bench even if they didn’t play it would be a good learning curve for them or give them 10 mins against the big boys as we’ve already lost anyway

Quote Originally Posted by jamieccfc View Post
    Is he a small lad? I don’t see why he or Waite couldn’t have a couple of appearances on the bench even if they didn’t play it would be a good learning curve for them or give them 10 mins against the big boys as we’ve already lost anyway

I said that to my eldest earlier in the season but he reckoned it wouldn't be good for morale if senior players were losing pitch time or squad places to youngsters in that way. I'm not sure to be honest, it's such a massive jump from Academy level or even under-23 games to the Premier League but if the club feel the potential is there then I can't see any harm.

Griffiths is no target man but he looks like he can handle himself. He was down as an attacking midfielder at Liverpool and looks equally comfortable playing off the striker or up top. I wouldn't want to get carried away, there's so far for these lads to go, but it's good to see a few Welsh boys showing up so well at Academy level.

Interesting substitution for Hereford yesterday in the National League North, Tommy O'Sullivan was replaced by Theo Wharton. Jamie Bird has been released from there and joined Croesyceiliog. Some broken dreams between those three.

Interesting substitution for Hereford yesterday in the National League North, Tommy O'Sullivan was replaced by Theo Wharton. Jamie Bird has been released from there and joined Croesyceiliog. Some broken dreams between those three.
    No offence meant to Croesyceiliog, but anyone who can score a goal like this at Under 23 level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uAUT5L3nrA

should be playing for much better than them.