+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 21 of 164 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303171121 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Wales U16 just gone 2-1 v ROI in Victory Shield. 5 mins plus injury time left.

2-2 2 mins into injury time.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    Finally got round to reading your two reports, cheers. The highlights on ifollow made it look as though we dominated the DVP game so it was enlightening to get your balanced report. Have to say Harris took his first goal very well. When he gets involved in games, he looks a very good player. Good to hear Duffus is stepping up.

Likewise for the academy. Sounds like Patten / Bowen were important in making the whole unit work. Again, frustratingly, brief highlights tend to focus entirely on good attacking and dodgy defending and probably paints an unfair picture. Thanks for filling in the blanks.

The u18s lost away to Crystal Palace a couple of days ago. Two late goals for Palace to win 88th & 90th minutes.

Team:

Burwood, C. Davies, Sharif, Jones, Bodenham, Bowen, Parsons, Patten, I. Davies, Spence, Evans.

subs: Margetson, Ratcliffe, Smith, Pinchard, Mayembe.

Quote Originally Posted by emjayblue View Post
    Wales U16 just gone 2-1 v ROI in Victory Shield. 5 mins plus injury time left.
    Think we had just two CCFC players involved in this age group this time - Eli King and Cavan Williams.

The other results...

VICTORY SHIELD: WALES HELD BY REPUBLIC OF IRELAND (2-2)

http://www.faw.cymru/en/news/victory...en/news/&pos=3

VICTORY SHIELD: NORTHERN IRELAND EDGE PAST WALES (0-1)

http://www.faw.cymru/en/news/victory...en/news/&pos=1

Academy boys 3-0 up at ht v Merthyr Town in cup. Harris 2 and Spence' They've both been banging them in at a great rate lately. Given our no goals in open play in 4 games I wonder if Harris can play his way onto the bench for Tuesday.

Academy boys 3-0 up at ht v Merthyr Town in cup. Harris 2 and Spence' They've both been banging them in at a great rate lately. Given our no goals in open play in 4 games I wonder if Harris can play his way onto the bench for Tuesday.
    Just to say it finished 5-0 with James Waite and Isaak Davies adding further goals.

It'll be interesting to see what sort of side the Development team put out at QPR today given the first team are playing tomorrow and a lot of the youngsters that would normally play would have featured for the youth team yesterday.

Just to say it finished 5-0 with James Waite and Isaak Davies adding further goals.

It'll be interesting to see what sort of side the Development team put out at QPR today given the first team are playing tomorrow and a lot of the youngsters that would normally play would have featured for the youth team yesterday.
    Harvey has named 5 trialists for today's game at QPR which makes sense with the youth team having played yesterday.

Harvey has named 5 trialists for today's game at QPR which makes sense with the youth team having played yesterday.
    They were beaten 2-0 - no great surprise under the circumstances.

I'm grateful to the poster called Cyncoed Slumdog for this photo which reveals the names of the trialists who played yesterday

Team sheet.jpg

A few details on some of them (not sure about Hewitt mind)

http://www.footballdatabase.eu/footb...301130.en.html

https://tribuna.com/liverpoolfc/en/news/1842496/

http ye/://www.concordrangers.co.uk/player/amos-nasha/

The blow out of youngsters before, influx of triallists would indicate what to you, Bob?

The previous crop weren't good enough or poor development?

I'd have thought the former given the promising lower level groups we have.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    The blow out of youngsters before, influx of triallists would indicate what to you, Bob?

The previous crop weren't good enough or poor development?

I'd have thought the former given the promising lower level groups we have.
    Warnock was saying last week that he feels we need one or two more experienced Under 23s for the Development team and has been trying to persuade Vincent Tan that we should try to take on a few such players (there must be stacks of them out there without contracts after being released by their clubs in the summer).

I must admit that I didn't think much of the idea at first, because it struck me as if we were looking to go down the O'Sullivan and Wharton route again, but I suppose it's different because we're talking about players who you'd think would be busting a gut to make the most of the second chance they've been given as opposed to someone who had almost become "part of the furniture" at City.

We had quite a few trialists playing for us in the early weeks of last season and that's how we ended up with Ibrahim Meite - perhaps there's provision for one such signing every season now?

I've just been looking at David Brooks' Wikipedia page which says that he was involved with the Man City Academy from the age of seven, "before he switched to the Sheffield United academy in 2014". That wording leaves it open as to whether he turned down a deal that was on offer from Man City to sign for a club that was then in League One, but, as he was seventeen at the time, it seems far more likely to me that he had been released by Man City. For me, that's the sort of age group City should be looking at - we do sign youngsters released by Premier League clubs every year, but, invariably, they struggle to establish themselves in our Under 18 side and are usually no better than the lads we already have - Ryan Reynolds, who left Everton this summer, was doing well for us at Under 23 and Under 18 level mind, but he has not played since he sustained a serious looking injury playing for the Development team about a month ago.

It's a tricky one. Someone like Meite is a punt; at this point in time I don't think he'll make it with us but is cheap enough to have justified bringing in.

Former Prem youth can be good enough to play in league, maybe not at Champ level. Prem teams do tend to hoover up any promising talent in sight, so quite a few fall by the wayside. Maybe it takes them years to get over the disappointment of having been dropped; those with the mental strength will do fairly well.

If we're smart in those we target it could well pay off.

Highlights of the recent cup victory v Merthyr Town are now on IFollow.

U23 Development squad home to Southampton tomorrow ko 1pm. Given our league game yesterday and big game on the weekend, together with a few injuries, I imagine we'll be fielding a few trialists and youngsters in this game too.

Quote Originally Posted by ccfc_is_my_life View Post
    It's a tricky one. Someone like Meite is a punt; at this point in time I don't think he'll make it with us but is cheap enough to have justified bringing in.

Former Prem youth can be good enough to play in league, maybe not at Champ level. Prem teams do tend to hoover up any promising talent in sight, so quite a few fall by the wayside. Maybe it takes them years to get over the disappointment of having been dropped; those with the mental strength will do fairly well.

If we're smart in those we target it could well pay off.
    There was an article about the AC Milan team who went to a couple of champions league finals in a short period of time and their strategy (ensuring that "injury prone" or "old" players played on and to a very high level) at this time - many different strategies can work and the ultimate team will be able to maximise all. Picking up the best released by the premier league is a smart move.

We lost 0 - 1 to Southampton this afternoon with Fred and Mark Harris both starting. Saints report below:

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2017-...cardiff-saints

There are more new names to me in the starting line up. Looks like a fair number of trialists or new signings are in the club:

Cardiff City starting 11

1 GEORGE RATCLIFFE (GK)
    2 CAMERON COXE
    3 NATHAN MAVILA
    4 AMOS NASHA
    5 TYRONE DUFFUS (C)
    6 CONNOR YOUNG
    7 LAMIN CONTE
    8 LEWIS HEWITT
    9 FREDERIC GOUNONGBE - JAMES WAITE (59′)
    10 MARK HARRIS
    11 KRIS OWENS

Substitutes

12 JAMES WAITE

No other subs named.

Southampton just about deserved their win although it took a screamer late on to win it for them. City competed quite well but with so many unfamiliar faces playing, it wasn't surprising that they sometimes lacked cohesion. I thought Lamin Conte (plays for STM Sports) showed potential and had pace to burn which troubled the visitors on occasions.
    For anybody at a loose end tomorrow, the Academy play the Wurzels Academy at Leckwith, ko 11am.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    We lost 0 - 1 to Southampton this afternoon with Fred and Mark Harris both starting. Saints report below:

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2017-...cardiff-saints

There are more new names to me in the starting line up. Looks like a fair number of trialists or new signings are in the club:

Cardiff City starting 11

1 GEORGE RATCLIFFE (GK)
    2 CAMERON COXE
    3 NATHAN MAVILA
    4 AMOS NASHA
    5 TYRONE DUFFUS (C)
    6 CONNOR YOUNG
    7 LAMIN CONTE
    8 LEWIS HEWITT
    9 FREDERIC GOUNONGBE - JAMES WAITE (59′)
    10 MARK HARRIS
    11 KRIS OWENS

Substitutes

12 JAMES WAITE

No other subs named.
    Alfie Jones, Southampton captain, is one of those Welsh/English qualifying players. Hopefully he gets called up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by surge View Post
    Alfie Jones, Southampton captain, is one of those Welsh/English qualifying players. Hopefully he gets called up soon.
    P.s I don't believe he has had any contact from either nation so if you know someone in the Welsh camp point them in his direction.

P.s I don't believe he has had any contact from either nation so if you know someone in the Welsh camp point them in his direction.
    Rob Page and Paul Bodin from the Welsh set up were both there today so I would hope they know.

Blue in the Face

TOBW. To answer your Brooks query, I'm pretty certain Man City did release Brooks.

Think Zenith might have been onto this a few months back? He was looking for a contact at the FAW to tell them and a dual national defender at Southampton. Pretty sure it was Zenith anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    TOBW. To answer your Brooks query, I'm pretty certain Man City did release Brooks.

Just to say that there's another game at Leckwith today - the Under 18s match with Bristol City has been brought forward twenty four hours and kicks off at 11 o clock.

Many congratulations to Jack Bodenham, Sion Spence and James Waite who have just been named in the Wales U19 squad.

With apologies to George Ratcliffe!!

Just to say that there's another game at Leckwith today - the Under 18s match with Bristol City has been brought forward twenty four hours and kicks off at 11 o clock.
    Hope no one turned up at Leckwith on the back of what I said, because it turned out that the match was played at Treforest! City won 2-0 thanks to goals by Sion Spence and Isaak Davies in the second half.

Hope no one turned up at Leckwith on the back of what I said, because it turned out that the match was played at Treforest! City won 2-0 thanks to goals by Sion Spence and Isaak Davies in the second half.