+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 25 of 164 FirstFirst ... 15161718192021222324252627282930313233343575125 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    My take on last night's two games.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/
    Cheers Bob. Good to hear Kadeem Harris and Rhys Healey having run outs, we look like we will need them back in the 1st team squad sooner rather than later although they do sound a way off being match fit.
    Not such great news for Mark Harris though.

My take on last night's two games.

I just watched the highlights of the 1 - 0 loss to MK Dons on iPlayer. They are normally very fair in showing all key events and chances for either side. Assuming that impartiality was applied this time too, that was one of the most one sided games imaginable - but so wasteful by Bellamy's lads. Dons had two chances, and the one that produced their goal was a scorcher!

Blue in the Face

Good write up TOBW. Let's hope one or two of these trialists actually shine and sign. A couple of signings should go some way to making the DVP level less of a shambles.

Quote Originally Posted by jon1959 View Post
    I just watched the highlights of the 1 - 0 loss to MK Dons on iPlayer. They are normally very fair in showing all key events and chances for either side. Assuming that impartiality was applied this time too, that was one of the most one sided games imaginable - but so wasteful by Bellamy's lads. Dons had two chances, and the one that produced their goal was a scorcher!
    Thanks for the heads up Jon. Will watch later. I did read a report somewhere saying that we dominated but lost to a late screamer against the run of play. Hopefully the end of the cup run means less games at u18s and some of the players can turn out for the DVP.

Blue in the Face

"Cardiff City take Leeds United’s McKay twins on trial as attempts to improve under-23s setup continue..."

http://www.insidewalessport.co.uk/ca...e-mckay-twins/

Development side drew 3 - 3 with Charlton this afternoon. No other details at the moment sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by emjayblue View Post
    Development side drew 3 - 3 with Charlton this afternoon. No other details at the moment sorry.
    Came back from 3-1 down. Mark Harris scored one and James Waite scored two. Spence started.

Blue in the Face

Great to hear. Not sure what their current crop is like but Charlton have been excellent at this level in recent years so that's a terrific effort.

Quote Originally Posted by emjayblue View Post
    Or if you want to believe this (later but wrong) report Charlton won 3 - 2 (they didn't).

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/12/18...react-to-warn/

Even more startling - Leeds fans rubbish the trialist McKay brothers!

Blue in the Face

Didn't think this article would garner much interest in it's own thread, but there's an interesting quote from Neil which relates to our DVP. Possibly we are about to see a big jump in standard if some of the incoming players are understudies, at the Healy level of development say...

“I’ve spoken to the owners and I feel we’re going to sign five or six players between 20 and 23 who are capable of stepping up into the squad.

We’ll give them the opportunity to play with the 23s, train with us and supplement our squad. We want better quality from the squad.

We are looking at trying to steady the club because it’s fair to say that when I came, I was criticised for letting some players go, but I don’t see any of them going on to get into better clubs.”

http://www.insidewalessport.co.uk/wa...x-new-players/

The infrequent Inside Wales Sport articles tend to be worth a read.

Blue in the Face

Oh, plus these Duffus / Healy related quotes from Neil. No surprise that he doesn't sound like he rates the DVP system...

“I’ve had four clubs after Rhys already but I don’t think he’s in a rush and we have to look after ourselves in the second-half of the season and we’ll have to think twice about loaning him.

Tyrone (Dufus) has been playing with Hereford and I like him but its great for him to play in a man’s league and it’s a good club to get some games.

We’re having more training games now with me refereeing and I think that’s better than the ‘charity match’ like the under-23s is"

Good article. Makes sense - saw those in the DVP weren't capable of pushing on for first team here, replace with some from other clubs with a better chance of progressing to fil the gap in the meantime.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Oh, plus these Duffus / Healy related quotes from Neil. No surprise that he doesn't sound like he rates the DVP system...

“I’ve had four clubs after Rhys already but I don’t think he’s in a rush and we have to look after ourselves in the second-half of the season and we’ll have to think twice about loaning him.

Tyrone (Dufus) has been playing with Hereford and I like him but its great for him to play in a man’s league and it’s a good club to get some games.

We’re having more training games now with me refereeing and I think that’s better than the ‘charity match’ like the under-23s is"
    He's always been critical of DVP games, has rightly called for the old reserves sides to return on the grounds your youngsters are then playing with more experienced players, first teamers returning from injury etc.

In the pre Bolton press conference on IFollow, Neil Warnock talked about us being likely to sign four players for the Under 23 squad, two of which were from the Championship, one was from non league and another was from somewhere else I think it was he said - that could be the McKay brothers from Leeds, Ciaron Brown from Wealdstone and Mikey Devlin from Hamilton Academicals

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/exclusi...eague-defender

http://www.insidewalessport.co.uk/ca...ichael-devlin/

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    It seems to have fallen to me to provide updates on the progress of Tyrone Duffus at Hereford. I'm happy to do it, he looks like a talented player and I'm interested to see how he does there. I'll check on his performances and put any relevant information in this thread.

The latest news on him is that he injured his hamstring in the week and is out for a month.
    Good to see Tyrone Duffus back playing again last week. He played an hour for our under-23s on Monday to show he was ready to resume his loan spell at Hereford for their game at Chesham on Saturday. As I was saying, I'm looking to keep an eye on his progress there game by game to see if he makes enough progress to push for a loan spell at a league club in the new year or even force his way into our first team squad. I'll just do a brief report on each performance and try and find other relevant information to augment that.

Tyrone started on Saturday but was taken off after 33 minutes with a knee injury.

The Under 23s are at home to Millwall today, kick off 12 o clock at Leckwith.

The Under 18s won their first game after Christmas 4-1 at Colchester on Saturday with Trystan Jones, Sam Bowen, Adam Sharif and Sion Spence scoring.

Any idea who the trialists are today ? One starting 2 on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Any idea who the trialists are today ? One starting 2 on the bench.
    Cardiff City DVP @CardiffCityDVP

TEAM NEWS - @CardiffCityFC U23/DVP: Camp, Coxe, Abbruzzese, Waite, Brown, Trialist (6), Feeney, M. Harris, Bogle, Pilkington, Young.

Subs: Trialist (12), Ratcliffe, Obi, Trialist (15).#CityAsOne 🔵⚽️🔵⚽️

11:34 AM - Jan 8, 2018

They are called 6, 12 and 15. Given the number of trialists the club has given games to in the u23s in recent months I'm surprised we aren't playing Nos 36, 51 and 79!

The trialists are the two McKays from Leeds who've played previously and a lad called Jacob Evans from Farnborough.

Just gone one up with a composed finish from Pilkington but conceded an equaliser immediately after a Lee Camp cock up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyncoed Slumdog View Post
    The trialists are the two McKays from Leeds who've played previously and a lad called Jacob Evans from Farnborough.

City battered Millwall 1-1 at Leckwith today - the last half an hour was one way traffic towards the visitor's goal and there were so many chances for that winning goal. Luck was certainly against us and there was some desperate last ditch blocks by Millwall defenders, but there were also a series of bad misses from City players and they could have ended up losing if Millwall's centre forward hadn't volleyed over from eight yards in the closing minutes.

My report on yesterday's game.

Also, Wealdstone have confirmed that Ciaran Brown has signed for us - we'll be playing his old club in a pre season game next summer.

http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/...iff-city-44768

My report on yesterday's game.

Also, Wealdstone have confirmed that Ciaran Brown has signed for us - we'll be playing his old club in a pre season game next summer.

http://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/...iff-city-44768
    What do you make of this new policy of signing 19/20-year-olds for the under-23 squad? I said on here last week that I didn't believe the Obi story. If he was that good then why didn't we sign him when he was here on trial and why has no one else picked him up in the meantime? I must be missing something. It feels a bit like when we were in the lower divisions, picking up other teams' rejects, but when we're 3rd in the Championship and pushing for the Prem it seems a long shot to think we'll find suitable players this way. As Wales-Bales said last week 'why would Watford release a star?'

Brown seems to be a late developer so we can squeeze him into the category of picking up youngsters from smaller clubs that seems a better idea to me (Ralls, Healey and Kadeem Harris have turned out ok for us, whereas 'rejects' Kennedy and Ajayi haven't) but surely the chances of finding a 20-year-old Premiership quality player on the scrapheap can't be great? Obviously Warnock feels he can get something out of players that other managers can't, and we've seen some evidence of that, but it still seems an odd policy for a club in our position.

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    What do you make of this new policy of signing 19/20-year-olds for the under-23 squad? I said on here last week that I didn't believe the Obi story. If he was that good then why didn't we sign him when he was here on trial and why has no one else picked him up in the meantime? I must be missing something. It feels a bit like when we were in the lower divisions, picking up other teams' rejects, but when we're 3rd in the Championship and pushing for the Prem it seems a long shot to think we'll find suitable players this way. As Wales-Bales said last week 'why would Watford release a star?'

Brown seems to be a late developer so we can squeeze him into the category of picking up youngsters from smaller clubs that seems a better idea to me (Ralls, Healey and Kadeem Harris have turned out ok for us, whereas 'rejects' Kennedy and Ajayi haven't) but surely the chances of finding a 20-year-old Premiership quality player on the scrapheap can't be great? Obviously Warnock feels he can get something out of players that other managers can't, and we've seen some evidence of that, but it still seems an odd policy for a club in our position.
    I've always promoted the idea of giving youth a chance on here and I still think Russell Slade is the worst Cardiff City manager I've seen when it comes to youth development. However, he is just one of a trio of our most recent managers who have, rightly or wrongly, believed that our Academy is not doing a good enough job when it comes to developing young players and the fact of the matter is that it is a long time since I've seen a player in our Under 18 side who I've thought could go straight into the first team and not let anyone down.

Contrast that to the noughties when I'd see at least one player a season - my hunches weren't always right, but I honestly wasn't surprised to see Jerome, Ledley, Blake, Gunter and Ramsey do well when given a chance.

Of the current crop, I like the full backs Coxe and Abbruzzese and the midfielders Veale, Waite and Spence are all nice footballers, Mark Harris shows flashes of quality and Isaak Davies looks like he may be the very rare animal a good quality home produced striker, but I'd only say Coxe might be able to step into the first team and do well and he's too old for the Under 19s now.

With so few nineteen and twenty year olds who have come up through the ranks here pushing for a place, it's not really surprising that we are looking elsewhere - Brown seems a worthwhile punt to me, but, like you, I'm not wholly convinced by Obi and the way his career has developed makes it obvious that, for whatever reason, he has not lived up to all the hype of four or five years ago. However, I have to ask, where is the youth product striker who is going to do better than Obi for us? Davies is too young and I'm not sure Harris will ever be a regular goalscorer, even if he makes a decent career for himself in the game.

Incidentally, I learned yesterday that Tommy O'Sullivan, the player who more than anyone else exemplifies the failure of the Academy in recent years, has joined bottom of the Conference Torquay on loan after failing to break into the team at Colchester. O'Sullivan was definitely talented and I wonder how he would have turned out if he had come up through the Academy at a club like Forest - they may be lower in the league than us, but I was definitely jealous of them when I heard they had five Academy products in the side that beat Arsenal.