+ Visit Cardiff FC for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 164 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192060110 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Re: The Bluebirds Academy and DVP thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Loramski View Post
    We were trying to set up a loan spell for Weymans at Kortrijk in January and he spent some time out there but the deal didn't go through so it looks like he's back with us for the season now. Wharton played two games for Coventry's u-23s but it seems they're not taking their interest any further.

It's frustrating trying to keep up with what's going on at that level. I'm sure the club feel there's not a lot of interest which is fair enough but I'd have thought a brief weekly update wouldn't be beyond them. It's hard to work out whether players are out of favour or just injured. Where's Robbie Patten, for example? I don't remember seeing news that he's been released but he seems to have disappeared into thin air.
    I was speaking to Robbie's dad before Christmas, he's got a back injury and the way he sounded, it doesn't surprise me that we've not seen him play since.
    Agree with you about the club doing more to keep supporters up to dare with what is happening below first team level - is there anything about the Under 23s, under 18s etc. In the programme?

Another heavy defeat for the Under 18s yesterday I'm afraid - 4-0 at Ipswich.

There's a game for the Under 23s in that new cup competition when they face Burnley at Cardiff City Stadium, but anyone planning to go along should note that the club website is showing the kick off time as 2 o clock, not the normal 7 o clock.

Blog piece on today's Under 23 team win over Burnley.

http://mauveandyellowarmy.net/

Blue in the Face

DVP team beat Burnley 2-1 in the PL cup today. Veale Penalty and Weymans set up Waite for the winner. Is there a senior appearance for one of these three before the season is out?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    DVP team beat Burnley 2-1 in the PL cup today. Veale Penalty and Weymans set up Waite for the winner. Is there a senior appearance for one of these three before the season is out?

That was last Monday mate. The u18s beat QPR today 3-1

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    That was last Monday mate. The u18s beat QPR today 3-1
    :blushingemoji:

I think when we booted Nicholson, we must've chucked our resident tweeter out too. The DVP twitter account is barely active. Just got home and checked account and the Burnley game was the last tweet.

Great result too against QPR too. Just went to watch Hertha Berlin Vs Bayern Munich with a hoops fan. I shall now pass on the great news to him.

The Development team are 1-0 down at half time in their game at QPR this afternoon.

https://twitter.com/CardiffCityDVP?r...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Blue in the Face

O'Reilly, Coxe, Abbruzzese, Veale, Assiana, Young, Waite, Wharton, Harris, Weymans, Meite.

subs: Blaise, Ratcliffe, Spence, Bird, Southam.

It may in the interest of our young players if the club moves out players who are desitined to leave / not make the seniors. But if the stories about Wharton leaving are true and the DVP coaches are still giving him game time, then perhaps we can view that as a dignified and respectful choice to help the lad with the next step of his career.

O'Reilly, Coxe, Abbruzzese, Veale, Assiana, Young, Waite, Wharton, Harris, Weymans, Meite.

subs: Blaise, Ratcliffe, Spence, Bird, Southam.

It may in the interest of our young players if the club moves out players who are desitined to leave / not make the seniors. But if the stories about Wharton leaving are true and the DVP coaches are still giving him game time, then perhaps we can view that as a dignified and respectful choice to help the lad with the next step of his career.
    I'd like to think so.

No comeback in the second half I'm afraid - it finished 2-0 to QPR.

Blue in the Face

Quote Originally Posted by the other bob wilson View Post
    I'd like to think so.

No comeback in the second half I'm afraid - it finished 2-0 to QPR.
    At least the academy lads beat QPR on the weekend. Write up on the official site here...

http://www.cardiffcityfc.co.uk/news/...r-3583163.aspx

Goals from Keenan Patten, Cai Williams and Sion Spence secured a 3-1 U18 win against QPR at Leckwith Stadium on Saturday, 18th February 2017.

Just minutes in Cardiff City had a great chance as Sion Spence beat two defenders to run unchallenged into the box, as he cut inside onto his left foot he appeared to be brought down, only for the referee to not award a spot kick.

QPR had a couple of long range efforts from Caden Genovesi and Ody Alfa saved by Cardiff stopper George Ratcliffe before high pressing from Isaak Davies led to a chance for Spence.

That same attacking duo combined again as Spence played a short corner to Davies, who returned it to him with a back heel, giving Spence a chance to curl towards goal, but the goalkeeper saved his effort.

Then the breakthrough came through a moment of individual brilliance from Keenan Patten. Patten received the ball with his back to goal then pulled of a smart turn to beat the defender before placing the shot high past Myles Bowman in the QPR goal after 22 minutes.

Just before the break Cai Williams almost extended Cardiff’s lead, his quick footwork gave him a bit of room to get a shot off in the box but it was cleared off of the line by Jake Eales.

When the teams came back out after half time QPR began playing with a lot more intensity and this tactic paid off for them as Alfa dribbled into the box before firing low past Ratcliffe.

City almost restored their lead through Connor Davies as he was assisted by Williams but the goal was ruled offside. A deserved second goal finally came when Williams was played clean through after a counter attack and he smashed it past Bowman to put the Bluebirds ahead once again.

QPR then had a flurry of chances to level the score from a corner as Rangers captain Charlie Fox had a header parried by Ratcliffe, then substitute Shiloh Remy volleyed towards goal, where Williams was on hand to clear the ball off of the line.

Spence had another shot saved before he attacked again, this time being brought down in the box. The Wales youth international dusted himself off before confidently stepping up to slot home the penalty and secure all three points.

This strong performance displayed the attacking qualities of this young Cardiff City side that they will hope to replicate in their next fixture against Millwall on Saturday, 25th February 2017.

FULL TIME: CARDIFF CITY 3-1 QPR (Patten 22’, Williams 53’, Spence 78’; Alfa 46’)

Cardiff City: Ratcliffe, Margetson, J. Davies (Parsons 89’), Patten, Madden (c), Jones, Williams (Sharif 85’), Wootton, I. Davies (Williams 46’), Spence, C. Davies. Unused Subs: King.

QPR: Bowman, Eales, Genovesi, Folkes, Parker, Fox (c), Akinola, Rollinson, Francis (Kendall 46’), McNulty (Remy 68’), Alfa. Unused Subs: Drewe, Dickinson.

A 2-1 defeat at Blackburn for the DVP team tonight, Rhys Abbruzzese with our late goal. Sounded like one-way traffic but we had a young side out again - Byrne, Coxe, Abbruzzese, Veale, Blaise, Bodenham, Waite, Weymans, Harris, Bird, Meite.

Blue in the Face

A 2-1 defeat at Blackburn for the DVP team tonight, Rhys Abbruzzese with our late goal. Sounded like one-way traffic but we had a young side out again - Byrne, Coxe, Abbruzzese, Veale, Blaise, Bodenham, Waite, Weymans, Harris, Bird, Meite.
    Super young team there. Think that losses can do them good. It's much better for these lads to see how tough the step in standard is and far they they need to develop to make it.

Watford tonight @ the CCS (apparently)

Super young team there. Think that losses can do them good. It's much better for these lads to see how tough the step in standard is and far they they need to develop to make it.

Watford tonight @ the CCS (apparently)
    So far the Under 23s (in reality, something like an Under 20 team lately) aren't doing that bad, since the change of focus to younger players, they've tended to do well at home and lose away.

It's tougher for the Under 18s, they had that good win over QPR a fortnight ago, but have suffered two more heavy defeats since then (3-0 at Millwall and 6-0 at Huddersfield on Saturday) - they've now suffered defeats by 7-0, two 6-0s, a 5-0, a 4-0 and a 3-0 in their last nine matches. They have managed two wins and a draw in the other three games, so they aren't getting stuffed every week, but it must be tough being beaten by scores like that two games out of every three.

The Under 16s also let in five at Huddersfield on Saturday, but they recovered from being a couple of goals down at one time to grab a draw with the last kick of the game!

We are currently 5-1 up against Watford. James Waite just scored his second goal of the night.

6 1 now, James Waite hat-trick

I'm chuffed for the lad. He has upped his game since he stepped up to the 23s and he's got to be knocking on the door now.

7 - 1 final score & Waite scored 4

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso Perez View Post
    7 - 1 final score & Waite scored 4
    7-1 is superb result with such a young squad. Great to see the two Patten brothers on the same pitch together. I'm not sure what type of team Watford fielded but they couldn't have been much younger than ours.

Well done young bluebirds.

Quote Originally Posted by thehumblegringo View Post
    7-1 is superb result with such a young squad. Great to see the two Patten brothers on the same pitch together. I'm not sure what type of team Watford fielded but they couldn't have been much younger than ours.

Well done young bluebirds.

It does appear that Warnock's decision to revamp the U23's & bring in Bellers is really paying off as most of these youngsters would probably have had little/no chance of playing much at this level this season. As a consequence we should see some in first team action very soon which can only be a good thing for their development. As you say James Waite must be knocking on the door.

When I've watched him (and I've watched him quite a few times for the u18s) you can see he has all the ability in the world but i always thought he lacked confidence to impose himself enough in games. This seems to have changed as he seems to have adapted seamlessly into 23s football and if anything he seems to have grown by playing with better players.

If there are headlines made by this game, they'll go to Waite for his goals, but Marco Weymans was brilliant - it was a young Watford team, but they were bigger, and I daresay a little older, than us.

Blue in the Face

WOW

If there are headlines made by this game, they'll go to Waite for his goals, but Marco Weymans was brilliant - it was a young Watford team, but they were bigger, and I daresay a little older, than us.
    Yes, I was thinking Weymans can't be far off a first team chance now, really impressive. Do we take it that Meite is with the first team squad? He was on the pitch at half time during the Fulham game, kicking around with the subs as though he was part of the set-up. Good on Warnock if he is. Not that we missed an out and out striker tonight, Waite must be the most unlikely centre forward I've ever seen but he sure can finish. Stunning performance all round tonight, good luck trying to put it into words for your write-up.

Yes, I was thinking Weymans can't be far off a first team chance now, really impressive. Do we take it that Meite is with the first team squad? He was on the pitch at half time during the Fulham game, kicking around with the subs as though he was part of the set-up. Good on Warnock if he is. Not that we missed an out and out striker tonight, Waite must be the most unlikely centre forward I've ever seen but he sure can finish. Stunning performance all round tonight, good luck trying to put it into words for your write-up.
    I thought that must have been Meite at the Fulham game, so it seems likely that he is with the first team squad at Blackburn - here's my attempt to describe last night's match;-

I thought that must have been Meite at the Fulham game, so it seems likely that he is with the first team squad at Blackburn - here's my attempt to describe last night's match;-

I like the way this thread works but sometimes a game deserves a thread of it's own, last night's was certainly one of those. The first goal didn't come till the 37th minute but Watford were still lucky to only concede seven. Jamie Bird seemed to be struggling for confidence, he could easily have had a hat-trick in the second half if he'd been as calm as Waite in front of goal. A fantastic display of football, so good to watch.

The other subs last night were Sam Bowen (I saw Jason there, I hope he didn't see it as a wasted trip), Ollie Byrne and Jack Bodenham. I think the stewards are under orders not to give you a team sheet after your continual misbehaviour up at the Vale last season.